PM 28 reason to switch browser?

General discussion and chat (archived)
froggl

PM 28 reason to switch browser?

Unread post by froggl » 2018-08-25, 01:55

Hello people,

i've been a great fan of palemoon for a long time and been using it as my main browser.
I want to thank the developers and moonchild for their great work.
I read the post about the future development and was very happy about what I read.
Sadly the announced compability was not adhered. As many users experienced there are many problems with the new PM 28 based on the updated engine.
The best feature of PM is the compability and steadyness. I don't care for speed and benchmarks. But I care about my customized browser and my interface.
So after the update 50% of the addons are not or not working correctly... not to talk about suddenly not worky greasemonkey scripts.
Maybee the changes are necessary for the future development, but at this state I can not live with it.
For now I downgraded (not a good solution) to PM 27 and will try an update in a few month. If the all the addons have an fix or update or only minor issues it would be ok. But ATM to many things are bad.
What do you think? Is the engine switch a deadlock? New beginning with everything not working left behind dead?

tenseys

Re: PM 28 reason to switch browser?

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-08-25, 02:20

PM 28 is working great on my end.
Last edited by tenseys on 2018-08-25, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-08-25, 02:20

froggl wrote:So after the update 50% of the addons are not or not working correctly... not to talk about suddenly not worky greasemonkey scripts..... What do you think?
I think if you supplied further details about what specifically is not working correctly for you, members of the community would be able to help you. You say "50%" of your addons are not working, yet you've only posted about one specific extension thus far, and someone responded with a solution for that in less than 30 minutes after your initial post.
Last edited by Nigaikaze on 2018-08-25, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-08-25, 02:52

Here's what else I think ... my open letter to everyone who has rolled back to PM 27.x because of vague yet vocal complaints they have about PM 28:

Yes, some people are experiencing problems with this release. Yes, there are going to be teething pains and problems with any major milestone release. However, people who post "I don't like it cuz it's crap/it sucks/it just don't work" without providing ANY solid concrete details about the problems they are experiencing are NOT helping the situation.

There is a whole community of people here to help the people who actually want help. If you do want help, give us something to work with so we can help you (and, in turn, help Pale Moon 28 become a better browser). Every individual problem that you describe in detail here could potentially result in a fix for you, a fix for the browser, and a fix for another person out there who happens to encounter the same problem you did.

By taking the easy way out and rolling back, you are depriving yourself of help, you are depriving yourself of the chance to help make Pale Moon a better piece of software, and you are depriving other people (those who encounter your exact same problem) of a potential solution.

So each and every one of you who would rather roll back because it's so much easier to do that than to try to trudge ahead and actually fix things, go ahead and roll back. But if you do that, don't bother posting your complaints about how PM 28 is crap/PM 28 sucks/PM 28 just don't work, because that's just yammering irrelevant noise for the rest of us who are actively trying to help people fix things.

Thank you.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-25, 04:02

For the people who complain about 28; but don't provide hardly any info concerning what you have tried to solve the issue or just gave up and then tell us you've rolled back to 27.9.4, when you rolled back to 27.9.4, if you did not make a new profile in your rolled back 27, just where do you think the 28 profile is or went to? Or did you think it just disappeared? Did you give any thought to that?

If you didn't make a new profile on the roll back, then the 28 profile is now mixed in with your rolled back 27 version and I'm pretty sure the 28 profile will cause problems (conflicts) in your rolled back (27.9.4).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

p0k3m0n

Unread post by p0k3m0n » 2018-08-25, 07:18

froggl wrote:Hello people,
What do you think? Is the engine switch a deadlock? New beginning with everything not working left behind dead?
Firefox ESR 52 + legacy extensions
Firefox ESR 6x Quantum + new extensions + Classic Quantum from https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx

Classic Quantum is amazing piece of work. I mean amazing. Pro dev quality.

BTW: ESR line is much stable and faster then standard. I tested it.
Last edited by p0k3m0n on 2018-08-25, 07:35, edited 2 times in total.

redsh

Unread post by redsh » 2018-08-25, 07:43

Hi, froggl. i very agree with you point.
I liked Pale Moon much for its classic gui and development strategy. But lack of new extension support was pain.
With PM 28 many of old extensions had also broken. Especially DownThemAll, very good download manager which i used for long time.
I am planning to try Waterfox which supports new and old extensions. although it's australis, it's supports CTR...

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-08-25, 08:16

Your problems are not everyone's problems. I'd suggest trying solving them instead of generalising everything.

Also note that your vague complaints start and end with external extensions and userscripts - nothing specific about Pale Moon, the actual web browser you are using.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-08-25, 08:17, edited 2 times in total.

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-08-25, 09:19

In theory and as far as I know, the addons API shouldn’t be broken so it should be possible to make everything work again, but will someone take care of every addon you (and I) use? Or did the addons stop working because of bugs in PM28? I’m afraid it will have to be handled on a case by case basis.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-08-25, 09:29

p0k3m0n wrote: Firefox ESR 6x Quantum + new extensions + Classic Quantum from https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx
Firefox ESR 6x Quantum + new extensions aka web extensions, many of them with crippled functionality while for many legacy extensions there is no alternative because of severely imposed limitations on what web extensions are allowed to do.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-08-25, 09:42

It very much is a case by case basis and depends on exactly what the extension is using or changing.

ABPrime is an example i'd like to use because it is based on Adblock Plus code from 2012 before it was switched to bootstrap.

In order to make the extension functional for then current day Pale Moon when it was going to be ABL 3.5.. I had to fix a couple issues for changes in the platform specifically changes related to treecol and a few other tidbits. That made the extension work with Pale Moon 26 even though the original code was designed for Firefox 14 or so.

For Tycho (27), all I had to fix was the finder (findbar) code in the subscription window. Basilisk prelem compat just needed to have Firefox's GUID added back so the overlay would address it but no coding change was required. Pale Moon 28 simply just worked.

So you can see that it may be one thing or multiple things that may need updated or tweaked to make an extension work again and indeed sometimes they just continue to work across milestones and updates.

So yeah, it is very much case by case. As noted by TMP's history where just about every version needs an extension update all the way back to its creation.

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-08-25, 11:38

redsh wrote: With PM 28 many of old extensions had also broken. Especially DownThemAll, very good download manager which i used for long time.
viewtopic.php?t=19966&p=147941

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-08-25, 12:34

Here's the list of add-ons I'm running on PM 28.0.0:
- 1-Click YouTube Video Downloader
- Add Bookmark Helper
- Add to Search Bar
- Beef Taco (Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out)
- checkCompatibility
- Cleanest Addon Manager
- Cookie Permissions Button
- customize_titlebar_v2
- Downloads Statusbar
- Extension List Dumper 2
- FavIconReloader
- FireFTP (Disabled)
- Google Privacy
- Google search link fix
- Moon Tester Tool
- NoScript
- Open link in...
- Pale Moon Commander
- Quick Locale Switcher
- QuickPageZoom
- Rehost Image
- Restart App Button
- SaveAsFilename
- Screengrab (fix version)
- Site Favicon in Urlbar
- SmoothWheel (mozdev.org)
- Theme Compatibility Provider
- Theme Tweaker
- Toolbar Buttons
- Toolbar Buttons
- UAControl
- uBlock Origin
- uBlock Origin Updater
- User-Agent JS Fixer

The only problem I'm having (as I've reported elsewhere) is with my third-party full theme.

I think the advice the other contributors have given in regard to how to present issues with PM is on the spot.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-08-25, 12:59

Off-topic:
JoeyG wrote:Here's the list of add-ons I'm running on PM 28.0.0:
Cool list. I'd suggest the fresh and Pale Moon specific Restart manager instead of Restart App Button. Also, FavIconReloader doesn't really work on PM28, it does for you? Let me know if you have an alternative, thanks.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-08-25, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-25, 13:19

I was never into lots of addons. I had a feeling since the head honchos at Mozilla were trying to chase down Chrome with Firefox (and failing to gain on Chrome in market share), I had a suspicion Mozilla would do away with the legacy addons and this is exactly what Mozilla did. And even with the transition to web extensions, Firefox is still failing to gain on Chrome market share wise.

Since I dual boot linux Mint 19 and Windows 7 in two separate hard drives for each of my four computers, when it came to addons (extensions), I use the same extensions for both 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28 and 32 bit windows Pale Moon 28;

The extensions are:

1) NoSquint
2) Adblock Latitude

For themes, I use the old lightweight themes (personas) from Mozilla and they are:

1) Fuzzy Navel
2) Blue Light 2012
3) Caramel
4) Dream Of Waves

For Plugins, they are:

1) Adobe Flash 30.0.0.154 (Shockwave Flash 30.0 r0)

The above is probably why I don't have any major problems using PM 28 in both linux and windows . I've only found one small bug and that is when I'm using 32 bit windows Pale Moon 28.0.0 and it has to do with the preview of thumbnails not showing up in the Windows 7 Taskbar with more than one tab open. Just a spinning circle in the preview window(s) instead of showing the thumbnail. But I can live with this. As a work around, instead of opening up a new tab, I open up a new window.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-08-25, 15:49

Pale Moon 28 works perfect on all the machines i have. No issues, not breakage. So, why switching :)

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-08-25, 19:13

Hey whats wrong with DownThemAll, i use on 28.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-08-25, 19:19

Sajadi wrote:Pale Moon 28 works perfect on all the machines i have. No issues, not breakage. So, why switching :)
Perhaps the inner meaning is to switch to PM28 from another browser. :relaxed:
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-08-25, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.

froggl

Unread post by froggl » 2018-08-25, 22:36

Thank you PM community!!!
With the ammount of great responses in a very short time i am sure everything will be fine.
Of course i am willing to look into issues with the addons and your help is great.
Many problems are already solved in the forums and the rest will be there in no time.
But these kind of technical switches are unpleasant and sometimes you get frustrated...