PM 28 reason to switch browser?

General discussion and chat (archived)
JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: PM 28 reason to switch browser?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-08-25, 22:41

back2themoon wrote:
Off-topic:
...I'd suggest the fresh and Pale Moon specific Restart manager instead of Restart App Button. Also, FavIconReloader doesn't really work on PM28, it does for you? Let me know if you have an alternative, thanks.
Thank you for your reply. For my humble needs, I'm afraid Restart Manager is overkill. All I really want to do is restart, and the button in the Status Bar is fine.

Hmmmm, you're right, FavIconReloader doesn't appear to work. I guess I'm lucky: I don't think I've ever really even used it. :roll:

Again, thanks for your reply.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

dvdgmlwsk

Unread post by dvdgmlwsk » 2018-10-07, 16:37

I have "downgraded" from Pale Moon 28 to 27 because PM28 broke my favorite extension, Drag &DropZones. No alternative search tool I have tried (and I have tried them all) even comes remotely close to the effortless ease of use that Drag &DropZones provides. Too bad.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-10-07, 17:13

dvdgmlwsk wrote:I have "downgraded" from Pale Moon 28 to 27 because PM28 broke my favorite extension, Drag &DropZones. No alternative search tool I have tried (and I have tried them all) even comes remotely close to the effortless ease of use that Drag &DropZones provides. Too bad.
Drag & DropZones 1.7.1 (the latest version) work fine in PM 28.1 for me

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2018-10-07, 17:17

dvdgmlwsk wrote:I have "downgraded" from Pale Moon 28 to 27 because PM28 broke my favorite extension, Drag &DropZones. No alternative search tool I have tried (and I have tried them all) even comes remotely close to the effortless ease of use that Drag &DropZones provides. Too bad.
A (non-PM) extension broke with PM28, not the other way around.

Which version of the extension are you using? Did you try the newest version from AMO?

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-10-07, 17:29

Perhaps you should try the equivalent on our site.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-08, 10:47

I also hope you made a backup of your profile. Downgrading from v28 to v27 and then returning to v28 again on the same profile is not supported and can lead to strange and unspecified errors down the road. If you don't have a backup, you should start with a fresh profile in v28.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dvdgmlwsk

Unread post by dvdgmlwsk » 2018-10-09, 08:02

I have been comparing Pale Moon 27 installed version with Pale Moon 28 portable version so there have been no profile issues involved because both versions are clean, totally separate installs. When I mentioned "downgrade" I meant that I am chucking Pale Moon 28 and staying with Pale Moon 27.

Pale Moon 27 got it right by enabling the use of the Drag & DropZones add-on (which won't work on Pale Moon 28; and neither will Menu Editor, another fine add-on). So, I'll just stay with Pale Moon 27 for now rather than fumble around with the shortcomings of Pale Moon 28.
David

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-09, 09:33

dvdgmlwsk wrote:So, I'll just stay with Pale Moon 27 for now rather than fumble around with the shortcomings of Pale Moon 28.
Considering the shortcomings in this case are the shortcomings of an extension (which isn't our code), then the "for now" in your sentence will be "as long as the extension developer doesn't update the extension". Unfortunately that can take a long time, and Pale Moon 27 actually has real shortcomings that v28 solves.

In general, I understand the desire to roll back by users because it's the easiest way to get short-term solutions (as in, it doesn't take any effort). But the resulting situation won't be viable long-term. For that solutions have to be found. People rolling back won't help finding those solutions (whether they are updated extensions, workarounds or enhancements to the browser core) and if everyone who happens to use the same extension you do has the same attitude of just wanting a silver platter, 5 second "make it work" solution, then nothing will ever happen to actually resolve compatibility and it becomes a dead-end street.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-10-09, 10:12

dvdgmlwsk wrote:Pale Moon 27 got it right by enabling the use of the Drag & DropZones add-on
once again, the primary drag and drop functionality of this addon works fine in PM 28

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2018-10-09, 11:52

dvdgmlwsk wrote: neither will Menu Editor, another fine add-on
Menu Wizard 5.10 seems to provide similar functionality and works fine in PM28.
Last edited by Falna on 2018-10-09, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

dvdgmlwsk

Unread post by dvdgmlwsk » 2018-10-10, 23:29

To all,

Thanks for your input and ideas.

I cannot get Drag & DropZones to work at all with a clean install of Pale Moon 28.

I finally got Drag & DropZones’ drop zones to work in Pale Moon 28 by “upgrading” Pale Moon 28 from an already installed version of Pale Moon 27 (where Drag & DropZones was functioning correctly).

Although the drop zones do work after the “upgrade” to Pale Moon 28 the drop zones cannot be changed or manipulated because the Drag & DropZones Options/Settings are completely disabled by Pale Moon 28. This is an unsatisfactory way to use an extension long term.

I did find a fairly good alternative to Drag & DropZones called Selected Search 0.4.160328, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ed-search/. Selected Search seems more useful than all the other Drag & DropZones alternatives I have tried.

David

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-10, 23:50

As always, it ultimately is the task of extension developers to make extensions work with the application they are extending. It's not our code and we can't do anything about a milestone compatibility issue.