PaleMoon 28 is kind of bad

General discussion and chat (archived)
Pfade

Re: PaleMoon 28 is kind of bad

Unread post by Pfade » 2018-08-21, 01:02

I used to have Bartab Heavy long ago.

I don't want to unload unused tabs (by the way this seems to be what Firefox now does by default). I want to free ALL the allocated memory when I CLOSE those tabs.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-08-21, 01:03

I can confidently say I am not experiencing the same issues some have expressed in this thread. I don't know whether or not PM 28 uses more memory than PM 27, but I can say if it does use more, it isn't an extreme amount more. Furthermore, I find 28 to be much more memory stable than 27. During the beta stage I would keep 27 and 28 portable open for days and over time 27 would get to the point that I'd have to start closing tabs and doing memory cleanings to get things under control. I don't have to do that with 28. This isn't to say I've had no issues, but the issues I have had have been mostly personal preferences that I've largely been able to work around. From the issues I've seen on the forum when we are able to find the cause, it's typically been issues of extension compatibility, "security" applications interfering with an unrecognized application, and user error. There may be instances of problems during profile conversion to the new version, but I haven't personally seen instances of those.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-21, 01:55

Pfade wrote:I want to free ALL the allocated memory when I CLOSE those tabs.
Good luck with that. Here I can't get that with PM 27. Nor can I get it if I close and restart browser.

And I can't get it with any of the 24 programs I have running here atm.

No idea if memory efficiency is better in linux or mac. On windows, it simply is what it is.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-21, 02:41

mrnhmath wrote:BarTab has been succeeded by Lull The Tabs.
Not here it hasn't.

Here, my absolute requirement is that any tab utility plays nice with Tab Mix Plus. I accept the fact that almost all don't.

Here, BarTab Tycho does; LTT doesn't.

All I want from TBT is the ability to filter by sub domain. LTT appears to offer this but, AFAICS, it doesn't work. But anyways - it fails #1 requirement.

Veyska
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Veyska » 2018-08-21, 06:05

Cassette wrote:I can confidently say I am not experiencing the same issues some have expressed in this thread. I don't know whether or not PM 28 uses more memory than PM 27, but I can say if it does use more, it isn't an extreme amount more. Furthermore, I find 28 to be much more memory stable than 27. During the beta stage I would keep 27 and 28 portable open for days and over time 27 would get to the point that I'd have to start closing tabs and doing memory cleanings to get things under control. I don't have to do that with 28. This isn't to say I've had no issues, but the issues I have had have been mostly personal preferences that I've largely been able to work around. From the issues I've seen on the forum when we are able to find the cause, it's typically been issues of extension compatibility, "security" applications interfering with an unrecognized application, and user error. There may be instances of problems during profile conversion to the new version, but I haven't personally seen instances of those.
I'm also likewise seeing better memory management than prior versions, to the point where I'd come to poke the forums to see if there'd been any discussion over some new garbage collection system or something. :lol: Ever since earlier versions of FF (before even their silly version spam, let alone Australis whereupon I went PM and never looked back) I'd gotten used to needing to reboot my browser periodically to reset its RAM footprint. After a bit of personal kerfluffle after switching from NoScript to uMatrix and some sites refusing to work no matter how permissive I made things (bugged permissions, as it turned out) I ended up switching to 64-bit because while it still ran into the same RAM issues it took longer and just bogged down rather than crashing like x86. No signs of that so far and I'm loving it (at least once I got tab scrolling and GreaseMonkey to behave, which was simple enough). Hopefully folks with issues can figure them out or at least intimidate them into submission (had that happen before, I swear)...
Thanks for seven years of browsing but too many sites I need don't work in PM these days and while yes fight the good fight against browser monoculture I just don't feel *comfortable* posting on these forums anymore...

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-08-21, 08:28

As a sidenote, quality software like Process Lasso can help with old hardware. It can also properly release memory for you when required.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-21, 08:37

Pfade wrote:I used to have Bartab Heavy long ago.

I don't want to unload unused tabs (by the way this seems to be what Firefox now does by default). I want to free ALL the allocated memory when I CLOSE those tabs.
That is not how modern browsers work out of necessity.

Resources are shared between tabs and cached for re-use. This means that if you close a tab, resources are kept in a cache until something else has higher priority. It will not be purged immediately, although closed tabs do have their resources put in the bucket to empty first.

Your impression of how a browser works is that it would use explicitly separate resources for separate tabs. That is not the case (neither for downloaded content, nor for open network connections, nor for compiled JS, etc.). If you would do it in an explicitly separated way, then your complaint about memory usage would be multiplied many-fold, and nobody would be able to open dozens of tabs.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-08-21, 09:25

Off-topic:
doofy wrote:Here, my absolute requirement is that any tab utility plays nice with Tab Mix Plus. I accept the fact that almost all don't.

Here, BarTab Tycho does; LTT doesn't.
I use TMP along with LTT all the time and have zero compat issues.
All I want from TBT is the ability to filter by sub domain. LTT appears to offer this but, AFAICS, it doesn't work.
You know where to report if you have any problems with it.

Pfade

Unread post by Pfade » 2018-08-21, 23:27

Moonchild wrote:That is not how modern browsers work out of necessity.

Resources are shared between tabs and cached for re-use. This means that if you close a tab, resources are kept in a cache until something else has higher priority. It will not be purged immediately, although closed tabs do have their resources put in the bucket to empty first.

Your impression of how a browser works is that it would use explicitly separate resources for separate tabs. That is not the case (neither for downloaded content, nor for open network connections, nor for compiled JS, etc.). If you would do it in an explicitly separated way, then your complaint about memory usage would be multiplied many-fold, and nobody would be able to open dozens of tabs.
Oh, I know that.

The problem is that it doesn't work as well as in theory. When the browser would get sluggish because of memory problems, over time, even when you close everything to a single blank page you can never fix the problem outside of a restart. So the problem is that after you close everything and then start loading up new pages you never get back that performance you had when the browser was started fresh. It might be a mix of memory fragmentation or virtual memory usage, but past a certain point it gets sluggish.

You say that those resources are eventually purged when there's something new that needs them, in my experience this is never really efficient and eventually requires a restart, instead.

Beside this (that would apply to all previous versions and other browsers too), my experience has been better now.

Since I've updated drivers and fixes hardware acceleration for videos it seems that also the memory problems improved. Maybe hardware acceleration off also caused a worse use of memory. In the last day my experience with the browser has been not hugely different from the previous version.

There's still some occasional weird freeze when I load some pages that wasn't there before. It still seems to me that performance is a bit worse overall, but it's FAR better compared to when I first complained about it.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-08-22, 14:24

Pfade wrote:There's still some occasional weird freeze when I load some pages that wasn't there before.
You are on the forum so why not troubleshoot it with the help of forum members to see if the cause of issues can be identified and fixed. Most or all of the issues/problems you've described are not normal behavior. Freezing, maxing out memory, problems with videos and sluggish performance is not normal.

Your browser behaves like a disaster.

Most members have not seen much if any difference in PM's performance as it pertains to any minor changes in memory use. If anything, performance is better with PM 28 as members have described.

Members suggest using a clean profile and ask you to provide troubleshooting info and in depth system info and you just ignore it or fail to do so.

Why is the question.

As it is now, this thread is kind of bad and a waste of time imo.
Last edited by tenseys on 2018-08-22, 14:36, edited 3 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-22, 14:36

A driver update fixed the bulk of the problems -- this would have been a 3-post thread if you had posted troubleshooting information (which lists video driver date etc. and would likely have led to the suggestion to update them if old).

Agreed this thread has been less than efficient. Also considering it solved.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite