PM 28.0.0 impressions/addon compatbility discussion

General discussion and chat (archived)
fillerup

Re: PM 28.0.0 impressions/addon compatbility discussion

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-08-21, 06:19

doofy wrote:And its odd you mention the new favicon, cos the icon never changed for on PM27, but its there on 28
this has happened to me on both Windows and Linux, in both 27 and 28. Pale Moon (along with other Firefox based browsers e.g. Basilisk and Waterfox) are served a blurry, pixelated version of the orange Reddit favicon, whereas Chrome based browsers are served a high resolution version of the same favicon.

Image (without RES)

Image (with RES)

Image (Chrome with or without RES)

will address your other points when i have more time
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-08-21, 06:20, edited 2 times in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-08-21, 07:43

There's also a positive compatibility after-effect: some extensions (usually more recent ones) that were not compatible with PM27 will now work fine with PM28. Tab Badge is an example.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-08-21, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-08-22, 13:52

No problems here. I have it updated on two computers. So far so good.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-08-22, 14:33

doofy wrote:I get no noticeable lagging at all on reddit in 27.9.4 or 28 and I have 100 posts per page. (200 comments per page).
hmm.. it's not lag per se, but when you compare scrolling performance side by side with other browsers you may notice slight stuttering during each scroll step, whereas other browsers scroll smoothly at 60fps
doofy wrote:But you also say that reddit is "content heavy". Here, it simply isn't. Here, its pretty much on a par with this site for basic lightweight functionality. Using RES, uB0 and uMatrix, I've removed nearly all bells and whistles, never use subreddit style, and have a simple, quiet, grey theme.
yes, i browse some css intensive subs, for example sport subs where each user has a flair/logo of their team next to their name
doofy wrote:I've finally managed to revert the icon in PM28 with a userscript.
can you please link me to this script?
doofy wrote:Not sure if its of any value - but RES 5.4.3 works in PM 28 without MTT.
nice find, i upgraded to 5.4.3 myself
doofy wrote:So if you're getting laggy reddit with a fresh profile, the next question is what "security/privacy" extensions/software are you running? Current "usual suspect" is malwarebytes but personally I reckon any AV (or similar) "web protection" is awful.
i run zero external AV/antimalware, and scrolling performance is the same whether i'm using my 40+ addon setup or testing on a brand new profile.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-22, 15:55

fillerup wrote:can you please link me to this script?
Nope. It's not online. I'll paste it below. I got the code and icon from here which then links the attribution further back.

I then added the top stuff. Note: the icon is hosted by god knows who on imgur, so you might want to d/l it and host it yourself somewhere.

Tested on PM 28 in Greasemonkey, and FF 61 in Violentmonkey and it works fine.

One obvious glitch here: on browser launch, the icons are new ones. It takes a few page refreshes to reset them. Maybe thats greasemonkey being slow to wake up to the fact its being asked to do something, maybe its a prob in the code, maybe how the icon is hosted; I have no idea. All I know is that once set, they stay set - on all tabs, bookmarks, identity box - and thats good enough for me.

So if you have flawless behaviour on PM 28, then you might not want it, but its worth keeping somewhere as insurance.

Script:

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name     Old Reddit Favicon
// @include  https://*.reddit.com/*
// @grant    none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
  var link = document.querySelector("link[rel*='icon']") || document.createElement('link');
  link.type = 'image/x-icon';
  link.rel = 'shortcut icon';
  link.href = 'https://i.imgur.com/veJX9o5.png';
  document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(link);
})();

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-08-22, 16:54

doofy wrote:snip
good stuff, thank you - the update to RES 5.4.3 actually broke the favicon function so i'm glad to have this solution
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-08-22, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-22, 17:04

fillerup wrote:the update to RES 5.8.4 actually broke the favicon function so i'm glad to have this solution
That answers that one, then. Good to know, thx. A small part of me wonders why on earth that should be the case, but the rest simply accepts it and moves on.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-25, 15:52

fillerup wrote:the update to RES 5.4.3 actually broke the favicon function so i'm glad to have this solution
How's it working for you? Since stating categorically that it works, I've tested it exhaustively and find variable, buggy behaviour. Which I've now solved.

If its working properly for you, fine. If not, report back and I'll provide full info.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-08-26, 04:07

doofy wrote:How's it working for you? Since stating categorically that it works, I've tested it exhaustively and find variable, buggy behaviour. Which I've now solved.

If its working properly for you, fine. If not, report back and I'll provide full info.
i don't use RES features as extensively as you so nothing much to report. only thing that may qualify as a bug is that for a lot of posts, there are two icons for the inline image/video viewer instead of just one

Last edited by fillerup on 2018-08-26, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

tor000

Unread post by tor000 » 2018-08-28, 09:55

Upgraded PM portable to version 28.0.0.1:

Also, PM portable 28.0.0.1 still have slow responding, stops responding often, and behaves like it is about to crash:

Fresh and clean PM portable 28.0.0.1:

Code: Select all

Application Basics
------------------

Name: Pale Moon
Version: 28.0.0.1 (32-bit)
Build ID: 20180826155251
Update Channel: release
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.1 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/28.0.0.1
Multiprocess Windows: 0/1 (Disabled)
Safe Mode: false

Extensions
----------

Graphics
--------

Features
Compositing: Direct3D 11
Asynchronous Pan/Zoom: none
WebGL 1 Driver WSI Info: EGL_VENDOR: Google Inc. (adapter LUID: 0000000000009bfc) EGL_VERSION: 1.4 (ANGLE 2.1.0.) EGL_EXTENSIONS: EGL_EXT_create_context_robustness EGL_ANGLE_d3d_share_handle_client_buffer EGL_ANGLE_surface_d3d_texture_2d_share_handle EGL_ANGLE_query_surface_pointer EGL_ANGLE_window_fixed_size EGL_ANGLE_keyed_mutex EGL_ANGLE_surface_orientation EGL_NV_post_sub_buffer EGL_KHR_create_context EGL_EXT_device_query EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_KHR_stream EGL_KHR_stream_consumer_gltexture EGL_NV_stream_consumer_gltexture_yuv EGL_ANGLE_flexible_surface_compatibility EGL_EXTENSIONS(nullptr): EGL_EXT_client_extensions EGL_EXT_platform_base EGL_EXT_platform_device EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle_d3d EGL_ANGLE_device_creation EGL_ANGLE_device_creation_d3d11 EGL_ANGLE_experimental_present_path EGL_KHR_client_get_all_proc_addresses
WebGL 1 Driver Renderer: Google Inc. -- ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 Direct3D11 vs_4_1 ps_4_1)
WebGL 1 Driver Version: OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 2.1.0.)
WebGL 1 Driver Extensions: GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_NV_pixel_buffer_object GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_EXT_map_buffer_range GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_EXT_sRGB GL_ANGLE_depth_texture GL_OES_depth32 GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_OES_texture_npot GL_EXT_draw_buffers GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_NV_fence GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_blit GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_ANGLE_instanced_arrays GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_ANGLE_texture_usage GL_ANGLE_translated_shader_source GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_NV_EGL_stream_consumer_external GL_EXT_unpack_subimage GL_NV_pack_subimage GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_KHR_debug GL_ANGLE_lossy_etc_decode GL_CHROMIUM_bind_uniform_location GL_CHROMIUM_sync_query GL_CHROMIUM_copy_texture
WebGL 1 Extensions: ANGLE_instanced_arrays EXT_blend_minmax EXT_color_buffer_half_float EXT_frag_depth EXT_shader_texture_lod EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_disjoint_timer_query MOZ_debug_get OES_element_index_uint OES_standard_derivatives OES_texture_float OES_texture_float_linear OES_texture_half_float OES_texture_half_float_linear OES_vertex_array_object WEBGL_color_buffer_float WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc1 WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_depth_texture WEBGL_draw_buffers WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc MOZ_WEBGL_depth_texture
WebGL 2 Driver WSI Info: EGL_VENDOR: Google Inc. (adapter LUID: 0000000000009bfc) EGL_VERSION: 1.4 (ANGLE 2.1.0.) EGL_EXTENSIONS: EGL_EXT_create_context_robustness EGL_ANGLE_d3d_share_handle_client_buffer EGL_ANGLE_surface_d3d_texture_2d_share_handle EGL_ANGLE_query_surface_pointer EGL_ANGLE_window_fixed_size EGL_ANGLE_keyed_mutex EGL_ANGLE_surface_orientation EGL_NV_post_sub_buffer EGL_KHR_create_context EGL_EXT_device_query EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_KHR_stream EGL_KHR_stream_consumer_gltexture EGL_NV_stream_consumer_gltexture_yuv EGL_ANGLE_flexible_surface_compatibility EGL_EXTENSIONS(nullptr): EGL_EXT_client_extensions EGL_EXT_platform_base EGL_EXT_platform_device EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle_d3d EGL_ANGLE_device_creation EGL_ANGLE_device_creation_d3d11 EGL_ANGLE_experimental_present_path EGL_KHR_client_get_all_proc_addresses
WebGL 2 Driver Renderer: Google Inc. -- ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 Direct3D11 vs_4_1 ps_4_1)
WebGL 2 Driver Version: OpenGL ES 3.0 (ANGLE 2.1.0.)
WebGL 2 Driver Extensions: GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_NV_pixel_buffer_object GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_EXT_map_buffer_range GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_EXT_sRGB GL_ANGLE_depth_texture GL_OES_depth32 GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_OES_texture_npot GL_EXT_draw_buffers GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_NV_fence GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_blit GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_ANGLE_instanced_arrays GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_ANGLE_texture_usage GL_ANGLE_translated_shader_source GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_OES_EGL_image_external_essl3 GL_NV_EGL_stream_consumer_external GL_EXT_unpack_subimage GL_NV_pack_subimage GL_EXT_color_buffer_float GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_KHR_debug GL_ANGLE_lossy_etc_decode GL_CHROMIUM_bind_uniform_location GL_CHROMIUM_sync_query GL_CHROMIUM_copy_texture GL_EXT_texture_norm16
WebGL 2 Extensions: EXT_color_buffer_float EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_disjoint_timer_query MOZ_debug_get OES_texture_float_linear WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc1 WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc
Hardware H264 Decoding: Yes; Using D3D9 API
Audio Backend: wasapi
Direct2D: true
DirectWrite: true (6.2.9200.22164)
GPU #1
Active: Yes
Description: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Vendor ID: 0x10de
Device ID: 0x0a20
Driver Version: 21.21.13.4201
Driver Date: 11-14-2016
Drivers: nvd3dum nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Subsys ID: 040110b0
RAM: 1024

Diagnostics
ClearType Parameters: Gamma: 2.2 Pixel Structure: RGB ClearType Level: 100 Enhanced Contrast: 50
AzureCanvasAccelerated: 0
AzureCanvasBackend: direct2d 1.1
AzureContentBackend: direct2d 1.1
AzureFallbackCanvasBackend: cairo
ClearType Parameters: Gamma: 2.2 Pixel Structure: RGB ClearType Level: 100 Enhanced Contrast: 50

Important Modified Preferences
------------------------------

browser.cache.disk.capacity: 358400
browser.cache.disk.filesystem_reported: 1
browser.cache.disk.parent_directory: D:\TEMP\Pale Moon Portable\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run: false
browser.download.importedFromSqlite: true
browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion: 4
browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID: 20180826155251
browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone: 4.1.4
extensions.lastAppVersion: 28.0.0.1
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.appVersion: 28.0.0.1
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.deviceID: 0x0a20
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.driverVersion: 21.21.13.4201
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.feature-d2d: true
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.feature-d3d11: true
gfx.crash-guard.status.d3d11layers: 2
gfx.crash-guard.status.d3d9video: 2
media.benchmark.vp9.fps: 61
media.benchmark.vp9.versioncheck: 3
media.hardware-video-decoding.failed: false
network.cookie.prefsMigrated: true
places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages: 122334
privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefs: true
services.sync.declinedEngines:

user.js Preferences
-------------------

Your profile folder contains a user.js file, which includes preferences that were not created by Pale Moon.

Important Locked Preferences
----------------------------

Places Database
---------------

JavaScript
----------

Incremental GC: true

Accessibility
-------------

Activated: false
Prevent Accessibility: 1

Library Versions
----------------

NSPR
Expected minimum version: 4.19
Version in use: 4.19

NSS
Expected minimum version: 3.36.4
Version in use: 3.36.4

NSSSMIME

NSSSSL

NSSUTIL

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-08-31, 00:54

I've also noticed my DeviantArt notifications now loads normally, unlike before with v27 which often gave me a blank page. I'm happy with v28.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-05, 08:11

JustOff wrote:
fillerup wrote:- a third crucial extension that i rely on is also completely broken on PM 28: Hide Caption Titlebar Plus 4.0.7. it hides the titlebar but not the page title, it cuts off part of the actual browser (looks as if it's stretched out beyond the screen), and none of the other features work. downgrading to 2.8.6.1 works, but that old version lacks the modern looking max/min/close buttons that don't look like they came from the previous century.
Does Hide Caption Titlebar Plus 4.0.7 ever work with 27.x? I personally use 2.8.6.1 for a long time already.
Hide Caption Titlebar Plus was just updated to 4.1.0 and works perfectly with PM 28.0.1 (despite still requiring manual install). huge thanks to the dev if you're reading this!

tor000

Unread post by tor000 » 2018-09-08, 09:59

Pale Moon works OK without problems, after updating it to 28.0.1

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-09, 08:07

couple of notification bugs i noticed:

- clicking on one doesn't direct you to the associated tab (TST bug?)

- nothing happens when clicking on 'Notification settings'