PM 28.0.0 impressions/addon compatbility discussion

General discussion and chat (archived)
satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: PM 28.0.0 impressions/addon compatbility discussion

Unread post by satrow » 2018-08-17, 14:00

Takanashi wrote:On my laptop with windows 7 (x32), mobile intel celeron 900 @ 2200MHz, 2GB ram new PM 28 sometimes randomly freezes when opening heavy sites

tried clean portable version to check if it was addons or old profile causing it but still managed to freeze PM with http://steinsgate0-anime.com/ (see attachment)
That site's very heavy, hits my PM 28 x64 much the same as it does Firefox ESR 52.9.0 x64 here, ~10% CPU on a 3.3Ghz Ivy 8 thread Xeon, 16GB, GTX 1060; big download in the background too:
Anime site.jpg

stayXUL

Unread post by stayXUL » 2018-08-17, 15:31

Takanashi wrote:On my laptop with windows 7 (x32), mobile intel celeron 900 @ 2200MHz, 2GB ram new PM 28 sometimes randomly freezes when opening heavy sites

tried clean portable version to check if it was addons or old profile causing it but still managed to freeze PM with http://steinsgate0-anime.com/ (see attachment)
satrow wrote: That site's very heavy, hits my PM 28 x64 much the same as it does Firefox ESR 52.9.0 x64 here, ~10% CPU on a 3.3Ghz Ivy 8 thread Xeon, 16GB, GTX 1060;
I can confirm what satrow said; that site is quite huge/heavy. FWIW, I cross checked with Chromium and FF (v61.0.2) too, and even in Chromium, it took its time; addendum: I didn't experience PM to freeze on said website, though. (Maybe it's also about the 32 Bit system with 2 GB of ram?)

For:
JustOff wrote:Try Tab Mix Plus Dev-Build 0.5.0.5pre.180718a1
Important tip!
Initially I ran into issues with TMP after the upgrade to v28 and found some pointer in the console to go visit the dev website for TMP for a dev build, and came here to share it. ;) Haha You guys are quick - amazing!
Great support here!
BTW, I experienced an issue with TMP about tab scrolling; hovering with the mouse on the tab bar, tabs will scroll in only one direction, regardless of the direction of the mouse wheel…
… so if someone is mainly missing the tab scroll feature, maybe give Tab Kit - Mouse Gestures a try.
(If you turn off the scroll feature in TMP, both add-ons can live side-by-side.)

On a side note…
@JustOff
You have made some very interesting and helpful add-ons - just want to say "thank you!"

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-08-17, 15:50

Wow, what a horrible design!
Those guys should receive an award or something. :)

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-08-17, 16:20

So far so good. Since Microsoft redesigned Outlook.com, the email content kept "flashing" whenever I tried to view or type my email messages because for some reason, some parts of the page (not the whole page) kept reloading itself. After installing PM28, that issue is now gone. Streaming from Youtube and other sites is business as usual.
Last edited by hujan86 on 2018-08-17, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

tor000

Unread post by tor000 » 2018-08-17, 18:10

konstantx wrote:
Latitude wrote:
konstantx wrote:I tried Pale Moon 28 It was awful, impossible to use until I use v- 27.9.4
Describe.
After upgrading to V-28 to start watching videos on YouTube, the browser began to slow down and the browser window became completely black.

Also feels like css that I use with Stylem addon to show background image on about:blank page now working little slowly - for milliseconds page is filled with black color before image shows

Code: Select all

/********************************/
/*   about:blank - custom */
/********************************/

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document url("about:blank") {
*:empty:not([style]):not([text]):not([class]):not([onresize]) {

background:  url(https://i.imgur.com/rIgX9wA.jpg);
margin:0px;
background-color:#352C2D;
background-position:center;
background-attachment:fixed;
background-repeat:no-repeat;
background-size:cover;
}
.editable, .editable * {
background:none !important;
}

}
I've experience part of these problems (Window becomes black and slow operation) in PM 28.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-08-17, 19:46

stayXUL wrote:I experienced an issue with TMP about tab scrolling; hovering with the mouse on the tab bar, tabs will scroll in only one direction, regardless of the direction of the mouse wheel…
This was already reported to the TMP author yesterday.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-08-17, 20:41

tor000 wrote:I've experience part of these problems (Window becomes black and slow operation) in PM 28.
Have you already tried to totally deactivate hardware acceleration?

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-08-18, 10:38

I have always found PM to be a very quick and snappy browser which is one of the things I like about it and Pale Moon 28 carries on quite well in that department.

I did a clean installation of PM 28. So far, I have not found one issue with it.

Good things:

1. The Windows 10/HEVC issue appears to have been eliminated. Everything works great with HEVC extensions installed. Videos work very well in general.
2. Browser is fast.
3. Ublock origin seems to work great with it (as usual). I've been playing around with decentraleyes which is new to me and that works good too.
4. Browser has same customizing function it has always had and that is another thing I like about PM. Even though I keep PM pretty close to default I like that I can get such close control over the status bar for example.

Like I said, I haven't ran into any problem sites or any issues so far. I'm sure there will be things.. every browser and software has them, nothing is perfect.

But so far, PM is looking real good at least on my end. Thanks.
Last edited by tenseys on 2018-08-18, 15:21, edited 2 times in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-08-18, 18:12

another small bug found: PM 28 will not detect XPIs for installation, opting instead to save or offer to save them as regular downloaded files

also i overestimated the scrolling improvements, it hasn't gotten much better on longscrolling/content heavy sites (e.g. ddg, reddit, etc.)
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-08-18, 18:57, edited 4 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-19, 10:01

fillerup wrote:also i overestimated the scrolling improvements, it hasn't gotten much better on longscrolling/content heavy sites (e.g. ddg, reddit, etc.)
on-scroll-dynamic-loading or "endless scrolling" sites will -always- be choppy because of their very nature. There's only so much a browser can do to deal with on-demand loading, parsing, rendering, compositing and caching data.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

laozi

Unread post by laozi » 2018-08-19, 13:23

a big thank you for this new version 28.0
update on my old profile with extensions:
-uBlock Origin 1.16.4.4
-Cookies Masters 3.2.0
-Autoplay Toggle 1.0.1
-Google Translator for Pale Moon 1.1.0
-I don't care about cookies 2.8.8
-RefControl 0.8.17.1
-Toggle animated GIFs 1.3.1
much faster and removal of the "YesScript" extension needed with v 27.xx to open some sites (ex http://www.liberation.fr/planete/2018/0 ... rt_1671074)
delighted I am :D :thumbup: :clap:
Last edited by laozi on 2018-08-19, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-19, 13:53

laozi wrote: -Masters Cookies 3.2.0
-
laozi, what exactly is Masters Cookies 3.2.0 and where did you get it?

Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

laozi

Unread post by laozi » 2018-08-19, 14:16

billmcct wrote: -Masters Cookies 3.2.0
laozi, what exactly is Masters Cookies 3.2.0 and where did you get ?
ici: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/cookiemasters/
https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-19, 15:24

OK got ya. Seems to me riiis would have made the display name say Cookie Masters instead of vice versa
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

laozi

Unread post by laozi » 2018-08-19, 15:38

apologies for this reversal :oops:

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-19, 15:56

Was that your fault? With the preceding hyphen I thought it was a list from Extension List Dumper.
Tommy Lasorda

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-08-19, 16:28

Moonchild wrote:on-scroll-dynamic-loading or "endless scrolling" sites will -always- be choppy because of their very nature. There's only so much a browser can do to deal with on-demand loading, parsing, rendering, compositing and caching data.
but mainstream browsers and even Waterfox/Basilisk seem to deal with them quite well, it's just PM that's lacking in this area imho

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-19, 17:46

fillerup wrote:also i overestimated the scrolling improvements, it hasn't gotten much better on longscrolling/content heavy sites (e.g. ... reddit ...)
Are you using RES? What build? How many posts per page do you have?

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-08-20, 01:45

doofy wrote:Are you using RES? What build? How many posts per page do you have?
yes, 4.6.1 installed with Moon Tester Tool, 50 posts per page. lags (in comparison with other browsers that also have RES installed) on both subreddit front pages and in comment threads

tbh i don't need much of RES functionalities, but without it Reddit serves a very pixelated orange favicon that i can't stand to look at. seems to affect all Mozilla based browsers along with Pale Moon
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-08-20, 01:49, edited 1 time in total.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-20, 20:16

fillerup wrote:yes, 4.6.1 installed with Moon Tester Tool, 50 posts per page. lags (in comparison with other browsers that also have RES installed) on both subreddit front pages and in comment threads

tbh i don't need much of RES functionalities, but without it Reddit serves a very pixelated orange favicon that i can't stand to look at. seems to affect all Mozilla based browsers along with Pale Moon
I get no noticeable lagging at all on reddit in 27.9.4 or 28 and I have 100 posts per page. (200 comments per page).

And you say this is on a fresh profile?

But you also say that reddit is "content heavy". Here, it simply isn't. Here, its pretty much on a par with this site for basic lightweight functionality. Using RES, uB0 and uMatrix, I've removed nearly all bells and whistles, never use subreddit style, and have a simple, quiet, grey theme.

And its odd you mention the new favicon, cos the icon never changed for on PM27, but its there on 28. I thought at first it was a cache issue, but I doubt it is cos I clean cache regularly. I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with RES, or have you added a custom tweak? I've finally managed to revert the icon in PM28 with a userscript.

Not sure if its of any value - but RES 5.4.3 works in PM 28 without MTT. I've not tested it to death (like I have 4.6.1), but I've put quite a bit of work into it and it seems fine.

So if you're getting laggy reddit with a fresh profile, the next question is what "security/privacy" extensions/software are you running? Current "usual suspect" is malwarebytes but personally I reckon any AV (or similar) "web protection" is awful.