Question about upgrading to 64-bit

General discussion and chat (archived)
InnerCircle

Question about upgrading to 64-bit

Unread post by InnerCircle » 2018-07-25, 02:28

I have been scouring the Internet this evening trying to find out if my machine is capable of running 64-bit Pale Moon. I am currently using the 32-bit version of Pale Moon. The only addons I use in Pale Moon are Adblock Latitude and NoScript.

Just to be clear, I have read the FAQ but want to double check with someone because the FAQ is over five years old, which makes it seem like the info might not be accurate or up-to-date, and my machine is a fairly new Asus UX490UAR. My system specs are:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-8550U, Quad core, 1.80 GHz w/ 4.0 GHz Turbo Boost

Memory: 16GB LPDDR3-2133MHz

Graphics: Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620

Storage: 512GB PCIe Gen3x4 SSD

Optical Drive: N/A

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Question about upgrading to 64-bit

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-25, 05:21

You should have no problems running the 64-bit version of Pale Moon, but if you're using integrated Intel graphics, you may run into some issues, depending on how good the particular 64-bit graphics drivers for your chip are.

The FAQ may be a bit dated but the general notices in it still apply. If you are a heavy plugin user, you will need 64-bit versions of those plugins, and if you're not using a dedicated GPU, you may run into some driver issues.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

InnerCircle

Re: Question about upgrading to 64-bit

Unread post by InnerCircle » 2018-07-25, 19:25

Got it! I suspected that the integrated graphics processor would be the potential bottleneck, as you suggested.

Thanks for the assistance! I appreciate it.
Last edited by InnerCircle on 2018-07-25, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.