That's why the new YouTube design is loaded five times slower in all browsers except Chrome

General discussion and chat (archived)
Latitude

Re: That's why the new YouTube design is loaded five times slower in all browsers except Chrome

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-09-06, 16:16

If you or anyone else ever wants to watch videos with any privacy, there is a new way that doesn't use youtube's api called:

https://invidio.us/

Try it!

It is also faster too!
Not working.

It mimics the old Hooktube but the video can't play. YT changes its code again.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: That's why the new YouTube design is loaded five times slower in all browsers except Chrome

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-06, 20:08

Latitude wrote:
If you or anyone else ever wants to watch videos with any privacy, there is a new way that doesn't use youtube's api called:

https://invidio.us/

Try it!

It is also faster too!
Not working.

It mimics the old Hooktube but the video can't play. YT changes its code again.
Before I came here, I had been on Invidio for 90 minutes and the videos are playing for me.

I'm still using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.0.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Xfce). The only addons I have installed are NoSquint and Adblock Latitude. ABL was enabled also. I've got linux Flash 30.0.0.154 activated too.

Below is the last invidio video I watched just about 20 minutes ago (as of this posting). The title is "Great White Bonus Session".

https://invidio.us/watch?v=4WR9itFGeU4
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-09-06, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-06, 20:25

I just switched over to my windows hard drive which is using 32 bit Pale Moon 28.0.1 running in 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. Then I clicked on the link I had just posted above and guess what, the Invidio video (Great White Bonus Session) played just fine.

Again, the only two addons (extensions) I use in windows Pale Moon are NoSquint and Adblock Latitude. ABL was enabled just like I have it in linux. And I've got windows Flash 130.0.0.154 installed and activated too.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-09-07, 12:05

Night Wing wrote:
I would blame uMatrix for that. :oops:

Yes, it works.

No "Download" button, sadly. :shh:
Last edited by Latitude on 2018-09-07, 12:08, edited 2 times in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-09-07, 15:07

Latitude wrote:No "Download" button, sadly.

Tried with the video that Night Wing linked, and default MSE settings.

Context menu > Save Video As... worked fine.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-09-07, 16:59

coffeebreak wrote:
Latitude wrote:No "Download" button, sadly.

Tried with the video that Night Wing linked, and default MSE settings.

Context menu > Save Video As... worked fine.
I get blocked and it's not browser related (https://invidio.us/watch?v=4WR9itFGeU4).

Status: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden, IP Address: 173.194.31.171, Type: media

Method: GET
No problem to view the video on YouTube.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-07, 17:11

Seems that Google changed YouTube player code today and no third party tool can extract video/audio streams URLs.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-07, 17:12

gepus wrote: I get blocked and it's not browser related (https://invidio.us/watch?v=4WR9itFGeU4).

Status: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden, IP Address: 173.194.31.171, Type: media

Method: GET
No problem to view the video on YouTube.
I just clicked on the link again and now it doesn't work. I get a prompt which states:

"The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported."

I think their sever might be down at the moment. I'll check back later and see if it is working. BTW, that 70 year old, 235 lb guy sup surfing in that video is one of my online friends, Rick Weeks, on the Standup Zone who lives on Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-09-07, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-09-07, 20:53

gepus wrote:I get blocked...
Night Wing wrote:...and now it doesn't work.
That video no longer plays for me either.
The issue isn't site-wide though. Just now, of the forty videos displayed on the front page thirty-eight did play.

The developer is aware of the problem:
Invidious' github repository, issue# 151.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-09-08, 01:39

As commented here, the non-playing videos on Invidious are fixed now.

Utnapishtim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Utnapishtim » 2018-09-08, 05:05

youtube-dl FTW :thumbup:

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-09-08, 13:02

Utnapishtim wrote:youtube-dl FTW :thumbup:
I use to it to with a GUI.

Can't handle the command prompt, BTW.