Is google working for everyone else?

General discussion and chat (archived)
Octopuss

Is google working for everyone else?

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-07-16, 09:13

I have just started getting those fucking captchas on EVERY SINGLE search I try to do.
Latest PM 27.

Is it happening to anyone else?

Octopuss

Re: Is google working for everyone else?

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-07-16, 09:34

Untitled.png
Unsurprisingly, Firefox is fine.
Fuck you Google.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-16, 10:27

If Pale Moon is now considered "unusual traffic" because it's not a "buddy" browser and doesn't yield to their pressure, then I guess people should just stop using Google and use DuckDuckGo instead (and passively support our project while at it!)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-07-16, 11:21

So far I am not having this problem. See my post using the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19664
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-07-16, 11:37

Glad I didn't use Google Search. Never needed it since 2007 and will never use it again.
Last edited by hujan86 on 2018-07-16, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-07-16, 11:57

Sod them..this is not what the web is about at all.Google dictating how things should be and expect everyone to lick their arse..sorry but no. :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-07-16, 14:45

After seeing two Pale Moon forums, General Support, General Discussion, concerning this issue with Google and Pale Moon, I thought I would do a little experimentation. Experimentation results are explained below.

I had three linux Mint updates after I had visited the Pale Moon forums site. This means I had to do my Mint updates on three of my four computers hard drives. After doing the Mint updates on three computers and they are all different model computers (2 desktop towers, 1 laptop), I then went into my linux Pale Moon Preferences and deleted "all" of my Google cookies.

For each linux hard drive running linux Pale Moon 27.9.3, I went to the Google home page site, used the search field and did some searches for "crab traps, webcams for the upper Texas coast, surf shops in Galveston (TX), surf shops in Surfside (TX), etc".

On all of these linux Mint hard drives using linux Pale Moon 27.9.3 with my usual Pale Moon extensions, Adblock Latitude and NoSquint, I never got the captcha with the "unusual traffic prompt". I'm also using linux Pale Moon with "Firefox Compatibility".

Since I can't recreate any of these problems, I'm wondering if this might be do to some addon/extension which I'm not using? Or maybe I'm just lucky and Google hasn't gotten to my linux Pale Moon.

BTW, Google sees my user agent as:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.9.3
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-07-16, 15:10

No issues here with Ublock, Disconnect, ABL, and a host of other add on's. :coffee:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-16, 15:13

Relayed from twitter where I made mention of this:
this is also happening to #VLC users as well but you can only tell when you're sniffing the wire.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-07-16, 16:15

Private Browsing may do that.
VPN, Tor, suppose anything that "aggregates", shares, kind of thing rather then being more personally identifiable, may hit it too.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-07-16, 18:02

Moonchild wrote:If Pale Moon is now considered "unusual traffic" because it's not a "buddy" browser and doesn't yield to their pressure, then I guess people should just stop using Google and use DuckDuckGo instead (and passively support our project while at it!)
I tried. I hated how the site looked. I guess I am hopelessly used to Google's style :( Plus I have no idea about the differences in search results. I presume it has to be more or less the same though.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-07-17, 00:25

No issues, presently, PM 27, PM 28, in both regular & Private windows, searching from the URL bar.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2018-07-17, 06:07

Octopuss wrote:
Moonchild wrote:If Pale Moon is now considered "unusual traffic" because it's not a "buddy" browser and doesn't yield to their pressure, then I guess people should just stop using Google and use DuckDuckGo instead (and passively support our project while at it!)
I tried. I hated how the site looked. I guess I am hopelessly used to Google's style :( Plus I have no idea about the differences in search results. I presume it has to be more or less the same though.
Octopuss,there's more than one alternative to Google. I've used StartPage (formerly Ixquick) for years. The site looks fine as far as I'm concerned, plus you can change the default appearance/theme if you want. StartPage (big on privacy) strips identifying info from the search request, sends the request to Google, and gets the results back from Google. I've never compared the results of an identical search using the two search engines, but I doubt they would be exact. Still, I'm happy with what I get. Honestly, I don't understand why anybody would use Google-anything anyway. I try not to use anything that starts with the letter G.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2018-07-17, 10:36

hujan86 wrote:Glad I didn't use Google Search. Never needed it since 2007 and will never use it again.
Off-topic:
I went from Excite to Lycos to HotBot to Altavista and stuck with it for a decade (through the Yahoo! purchase) to finally transition to DuckDuckGo maybe ten years ago. Can't say I've ever used Google search more than a dozen times, and life is good.

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-07-17, 18:07

So you get the captcha when using Google search :?:
I have never had that, and I must admit that I always use Google search :oops:, but I am always presented to an almost endless captcha when trying to download something from one of the "storage" providers.
It could be very interesting to find out what triggers the captcha when searching, but on the other hand, if I am presented to a captcha just once when searching, I will immediately stop using Google search although I find it better than the other search engines.
I don't use private browsing or VPN and use the default settings for user agent and firefox compatibility, so this setup don't trigger the search captcha.

jimmiewilliams

Unread post by jimmiewilliams » 2018-07-24, 07:21

this is due to unusual traffic from your pc.complete the captcha in order to process further.no other option bro.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-07-24, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-07-25, 00:03

It might be caused by the dreaded "VPN Filter" Trojan-horse-named malware invading the router, for some people!

Additionally, as of about right now, that issue seems more likely to occur with Comcast, than with the independent ISP, VTel, who has FTTH.

I thought I remembered getting a slew of unusual-traffic-accusations, when I had Comcast, when I was in Bellows Falls, Vermont, but not 100 percent or even 95 percent sure.

I have yet to get that kind of accusation when doing Google searches with VTel FTTH this month, or anytime this year, so far, IIRC.

This may have something to do with Comcast traffic interceptions, if not a router malware attack! :thumbdown: