Thoughts on Spybot S&D 2.0

General discussion and chat (archived)
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Thoughts on Spybot S&D 2.0

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-01-26, 04:24

I tried Spybot S&D 2.0 a while back, but took it off after a couple of days. It was always (that's not much of an exaggeration) connecting to the Internet and doing something. That creeped me out so I went back to version 1.6.2. I'm wondering if I had a setting set wrong. Is there anyone out there who likes version 2?

dark_moon

Re: Thoughts on Spybot S&D 2.0

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-01-26, 23:35

Hmm do you try the portable version?: http://portableapps.com/apps/security/spybot_portable

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-26, 23:42

I've looked at Spybot S&D 2.0 when it was under development; and unfortunately it was causing way more problems than it was supposed to solve. It was a memory hog with an over-simplified UI, that would actually slow down my system so much it felt like I was borrowing some crappy laptop from someone instead of using my desktop ;) - and since they never added support for Pale Moon even though promised, I stopped using them and supporting them. I doubt the final release is any better in the resource use department.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-01-27, 02:13

I did run some beta versions of S&D 2.0 like for 3 months and I never got a decent update in their definitions. Always they were "updated" and never found even a cookie tracking me, nor got a decent IP block list or else. Actually I went back to version 1.6.2 since I got an expiration of my "beta tester license" (I just downloaded it, never signed for that) and the thing forced me to uninstall.

When they stop to support 1.6.2 I think I will need to find a replacement program, any ideas for one?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-01-27, 09:51

You can use for example Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Don't remove cookies or so, but you can easy clear cookies in pale moon

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-01-28, 05:28

dark_moon wrote:You can use for example Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Don't remove cookies or so, but you can easy clear cookies in pale moon
Thanks for the info, I don't rely in a plain google search for this type of software. :lol:

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-01-29, 19:14

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is on my list to try out once support ends for Spybot S&D 1.6.2.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-05-22, 23:52

Since Spybot S&D 2.1 has just been released, I thought I'd resurrect this thread. Anyone try the new 2.1? I notice that the installer size decreased from 53 megs on version 2.0 to 34 megs on 2.1.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-05-29, 00:10

Since no one responded, I guess I got my answer! :)

I guess that since people didn't like their version 2.0 they, like me, are reluctant to try 2.1

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2013-05-29, 07:12

Having tried Spybot S&D previously I was never impressed with it's performance. To my mind absolutely the best out there and will thoroughly recommend is Malwarebytes - Antimalware, the free version is good but I've been using the paid for version with malware live detection for a couple of years now and together with Avast anti-virus free version have had no problems whatsoever. :)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-05-29, 10:45

I sometimes spend some time at my neighbor's computer shop. While there, I've noticed my neighbor working on customer's computers. Many of these computers are HP's and Dell's. The HP computers come with Norton and the Dell computers come with McAfee. I've seen many types of viruses get past both Norton and McAfee. Many times both of these brand computers, the customers themselves have added anti-malware programs on them and some of these programs are Spydot. The last few computers I've seen with Spydot on them, the customers who came into his shop complained they "somehow" got ransomware programs on their computers such as the "FBI" ransonware program and also a new one called the "Justice Department" ransomware program upon startup of their computers after the computer had been shut down.

Speaking for myself after seeing the ransomware programs, I wouldn't put Spybot on any of my three computers when they're running the Windows 7 operating system.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-06-01, 04:40

Night Wing wrote:Speaking for myself after seeing the ransomware programs, I wouldn't put Spybot on any of my three computers when they're running the Windows 7 operating system.
I still have the old 1.6.x version, but I am not surprised of this as I remember the ghostery plugin that in some "update" started to slip all facebook spy cookies and js. Maybe an agressive firewall configuration is the best bet from now.

EDIT: From web page
"HOME VERSION - BUY IT NOW
  • Designed for home users or the home office
  • Full antimalware and antivirus protection plus:
  • Scans for iPhone® Apps
  • Task Scheduling, no need to update manually.
  • Supports Command Line Parameters.

Well that answer your question, they don't protect you with the Free version just give you the illusion that they protect you. :crazy: