another happy camper

General discussion and chat (archived)
fanderal

another happy camper

Unread post by fanderal » 2018-06-16, 16:45

I tried Palemoon maybe a year or so ago just to check it out. FF was working fine back then so I stayed with it. I use a Devuan (Linux) base install with Fluxbox and some DE-independent apps. For the past year, though, it's gotten frustratingly worse with FF-esr 52.8. It's been the only version in the repos for a while.

It may be a time of transition for FF and for the folks writing addons, but it seemed each small update brought a little more into conflict with the NASA Nite Launch theme I was using. The upper right 3 horizonal bars for prefs/addons didn't work. A month or so ago the back/forward buttons and keyboard commands for same stopped working.

I tried a few similar appearance themes (LavaFox V2, BlackFox V2, FT DeepDark) but they didn't look as good. No matter which of the many addon and stylus themes I tried, the navigation bar and the bookmark bar showed as two different shades/colors, even though the example images showed them the same.

As others have posted in different forums, the delay in FF starting and slow page loading were getting a bit much. I tried a lot of other in- and out-of-repo browsers but whether the interface, the number/type of dependencies or my inability to get the look I wanted, they did't suit.

Adding the repo (thank you Steve Pusser), Palemoon installed without a hitch. What I found to get the appearance I wanted were Dark Moon and Advanced Nite Mode (good alternative to AA Dark Background and Light Text I'd been using). I also added NoScript and Bluhell. FWIW, installing Palemoon added ~105MB and FF-esr's removal with dependencies deleted ~180MB. Also, it loads with about 60MB less ram than FF did with similar addons. Good to see a Palemoon xml file for Bleachbit, too.

Palemoon starts quick, pages load quick, looks great and stays out of my way. It's now my default. Wanted to let everyone who had a hand in it know I appreciate what you've accomplished... thanks for a great browser!

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: another happy camper

Unread post by adesh » 2018-06-16, 19:14

Welcome to the community, fanderal!

It is true that Pale Moon is much more reliable and consistent than other browsers. It is because of sensible community and devs who don't follow the same idiocy with updates and version numbers that others aspire to. We don't break something if it is working good. However, changes are made to the browser behaviour if there is popular demand from the community.
Last edited by adesh on 2018-06-16, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

fanderal

Unread post by fanderal » 2018-06-16, 20:32

Appreciate the welcome, adesh!
It is true that Pale Moon is much more reliable and consistent than other browsers. It is because of sensible community and devs who don't follow the same idiocy with updates and version numbers that others aspire to. We don't break something if it is working good.
The result clearly demonstrates what you wrote!

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-06-20, 11:50

Let me say that you have made the right choice, for this community is the side of Light in the Mozilla Firefox debacle. :thumbup:
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

fanderal

Unread post by fanderal » 2018-06-22, 00:20

hujan86 wrote:Let me say that you have made the right choice, for this community is the side of Light in the Mozilla Firefox debacle. :thumbup:
Appreciate the confirmation, and glad to be away from that mess. Seems a shame when the hype about a shiny, new and improved version a vendor ships, is worse than the previous version. That kinda thinking never seems to 'get' that most users would rather wait for a finished product.