My Facebook account is broken

General discussion and chat (archived)
NorrinRadd

My Facebook account is broken

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2018-06-16, 07:21

My Facebook account is suddenly totally hosed.

My News Feed is blank. My Timeline is blank. Messenger is gone. None of the items on the bar -- Friends, Notifications, Help, etc. -- work at all. I cannot post new messages.

However, when I view my Timeline from a friend's account, it looks fine.

I have tried clearing the browser cache, closing and restarting Facebook, using a different browser, rebooting the computer.

Since I can't use Facebook at all, it is difficult to contact Facebook tech support, and they are typically useless anyway.

Additional info: It does not work at all in Palemoon (my primary browser) or Opera (my second choice). It mostly does not work in Internet Explorer. It does seem to work semi-tolerably in an obscure browser called "Lunascape."

Any bright ideas? (Other than "Ditch Facebook." Like it or not, it's my main way of staying in touch with most of my family and friends.)
Last edited by NorrinRadd on 2018-06-16, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: My Facebook account is broken

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-06-16, 09:05

NorrinRadd wrote:My News Feed is blank. My Timeline is blank. Messenger is gone. None of the items on the bar -- Friends, Notifications, Help, etc. -- work at all. I cannot post new messages.

I have tried clearing the browser cache, closing and restarting Facebook, using a different browser, rebooting the computer.
1) What operating system are you using?

2) What version of Pale Moon are you using?

3) Do you have Firefox Compatibility checked? (Some people who use the SeaMonkey 2.49.3 version browser are having the same problems with Facebook as you are and they have to advertise to Facebook that they are using Firefox)

4) Have you disabled all addons?

5) Have you tried creating a clean profile?
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-06-16, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

NorrinRadd

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2018-06-16, 11:29

Night Wing wrote:
NorrinRadd wrote:My News Feed is blank. My Timeline is blank. Messenger is gone. None of the items on the bar -- Friends, Notifications, Help, etc. -- work at all. I cannot post new messages.

1) What operating system are you using?
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
2) What version of Pale Moon are you using?
3) Do you have Firefox Compatibility checked? (Some people who use the SeaMonkey 2.49.3 version browser are having the same problems with Facebook as you are and they have to advertise to Facebook that they are using Firefox)
Where do I go to check that?

EDIT -- Yes, I see I *do* have "Firefox Compatibility" set.
4) Have you disabled all addons?
No. As I said, I've tried other browsers, and they also do not work, with the exception of Lunascape. If disabling addons makes it work, I don't want it to work. I would rather use Lunascape, even though the Facebook experience is miserable in that browser.
5) Have you tried creating a clean profile?
No. As I said, I've tried using other browsers, and they also do not work, with the exception of Lunascape.

FTR, this started happening out of the blue. I had not made any changes to the system. I had not even logged out of Facebook. It worked in the afternoon, then in the evening it was broken.
Last edited by NorrinRadd on 2018-06-16, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-16, 11:49

If it also doesn't work in other browsers then by definition you need to look at something system-wide. I suspect https-filtering from internet "security" software causing problems. The fact that Lunascape escapes this fate might be because it doesn't get filtered for not being known to whatever "security" suite is in use.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite