Win7 Updates Stink

General discussion and chat (archived)
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Win7 Updates Stink

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-06-12, 18:41

Another great month for Windows 7 security only updates. It was not safe for do the May Security only update. Now the same applies to the June update. Read the description here and tell
me if the average user A. Has a clue what they are talking about and B. Can deal with the Known Issues part. I am just about ready to stop doing even the security updates for Win 7.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4284867

But you gotta love this stuff. I just bought a copy of Office 2010 to replace 2007. I was fine with 07, but the Proton Mail software will only integrate with Outlook 2010, 2013 or 2016. The last two send telemetry to Microsoft. So I got the one they just dropped support for. I only use Outlook and Word from the suite.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Win7 Updates Stink

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-06-12, 19:36

Before you spent your hard earned money and bought your new Office 2010 program, did you try to see if Proton Mail could integrate using the Office files from Microsoft Office Online which by the way is "free". The only requirement for free Office Online, you have to have a Microsoft account (username & password) which you had with Office 2007.

The link to free Microsoft Office Online is below.

https://products.office.com/en-us/offic ... ice-online
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2018-06-12, 20:36

TwoTankAmin wrote:Read the description here and tell me if the average user A. Has a clue what they are talking about and B. Can deal with the Known Issues part.
The average user isn't looking on those pages for information about anything. Either way, the average user isn't the target for that; the people who do know what it means and know how to deal with them are. Whether or not this is the "right thing to do" is another matter entirely.

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-06-15, 01:50

TwoTankAmin wrote:But you gotta love this stuff. I just bought a copy of Office 2010 to replace 2007. I was fine with 07, but the Proton Mail software will only integrate with Outlook 2010, 2013 or 2016. The last two send telemetry to Microsoft. So I got the one they just dropped support for. I only use Outlook and Word from the suite.
IIRC, you can deselect Telemetry in Custom Install.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-06-15, 10:44

TwoTankAmin wrote:Another great month for Windows 7 security only updates. It was not safe for do the May Security only update. Now the same applies to the June update. Read the description here and tell
me if the average user A. Has a clue what they are talking about and B. Can deal with the Known Issues part. I am just about ready to stop doing even the security updates for Win 7.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4284867

But you gotta love this stuff. I just bought a copy of Office 2010 to replace 2007. I was fine with 07, but the Proton Mail software will only integrate with Outlook 2010, 2013 or 2016. The last two send telemetry to Microsoft. So I got the one they just dropped support for. I only use Outlook and Word from the suite.
I have no damn idea what are you talking about.
Where does it say anything about Office on that page?
Microsoft fixed shit. That's a bad thing?

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-06-28, 19:20

Windows 7 support dropped for CPUs without SSE2:
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/06/21/windo ... hout-sse2/
The change affects devices with Pentium III processors.
The total number of devices affected by this is unknown but users are in a predicament because of it.
While Windows 7 runs fine if recent patches are not installed, it means that the system won't be protected by the latest security patches anymore

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-28, 20:20

Octopuss wrote:Microsoft fixed shit. That's a bad thing?
If only that were the case (i.e., security updates - only), but too often, of late they throw all kinds of crap in there too (telemetry, "forced" updates to Win10...).
Read the description here and tell
me if the average user A. Has a clue what they are talking about and B. Can deal with the Known Issues part.
A. Doesn't matter, in particular in this case. Now it may not be something you want, for system performance reasons, but it is something you need, for the little bit it may help on the security end of things.

B. I didn't see any listed, currently. (Possible that they edited, removed that part. Has happened in the past ;-).)
I am just about ready to stop doing even the security updates for Win 7.
I did that for a LONG time on my end. As there was a LONG period of time when Win7 updates simply would not take, or took so long to do anything, it simply wasn't worth it. (My thought was this was purposely done by MS, so they could say, see, yet another reason you should update [cough] to Win10.)