Firefox is dying

General discussion and chat (archived)
Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Firefox is dying

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-06-08, 16:31

Yeah, 22-23% is the more realistic value which Firefox had in the past. And compare that ratings with the one's today... rather depressing.

Here is also a big problem. How do you gain new users, if the developers are arrogant, the userbase - between arrogant towards radically hostile when it comes to customization features. Had Mozilla of the past the problem? Of course not. Has Mozilla of the present this problem? Clearly visible.

Nothing against past Mozilla and most past users - of which both of them for the most part are no longer around. But Mozilla and most of their users today... That is a complete other depressing topic - That is something of which some very special Firefox trolls over at Ghacks which like to spy here and post then there their findings - should not ignore.

This is also a clear presentation of a serious amount of a lacking morally aligned character. If you have issues with individuals, face them directly instead of mocking them in the public. Also a very special - questionable - behavior some certain Firefox users have today. Which i call nothing other than pure cowardice. No guts to discuss with the people here, no guts to discuss with the Pale Moon developers themselves!

There is IRC available, there is the board available. One just needs to dig out enough courage and stop hiding behind the typical safe space excuses. How is it called.. Only the ones who know they are guilty fear the light :wave:
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-06-08, 19:56, edited 7 times in total.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-06-08, 19:42

Night Wing wrote:Using Net Market Share stats...
I have never bothered with such stats or news announcements. If you have a few web sites, ie: catering for a variety of topics, look at the site stats, but beyond single page hits because those will mostly be bots and hack probes.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-06-08, 20:46

WilliamK wrote:
Night Wing wrote:Using Net Market Share stats...
I have never bothered with such stats or news announcements.
Well, there are sites that track market share of browsers. Statcounter is one and there is also W3Counter. So you may not bother with such statistics, but one thing all three sites can agree on and that Firefox has been losing users (market share).

As they say: "To Each, Their Own".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-06-08, 21:14

I trust my own stats because I know what they are based on. In fact I created a special logging system to track redirects from ads and searches. They said it was impossible, but when paying a small fortune each month for "stats" on ads that were proven to be bogus, it convinced me that I didn't need that BS at all. So I cancelled the service and there was no drop in traffic!

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-06-09, 04:35

Actually, depending upon whose number one looks at, Firefox reached a peak market share in the 2009-2010 time frame in the low 30% range. Wiki has compiled numbers for a ton of services. But the majors are pretty much all in the low 30s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Firefox will only die when the economics won't support its continuation. But their desktop numbers have been fairly steady the past few years in the 10% - 12.5% range after bouncing off the bottom. And aren't they using in browser advertising these days?

The PC market had it's first bounce in sales recently. It was an up 0.7% year over year. But considering the trend had been down 10% for a number of years now, this is an encouraging change. Granted this is mostly laptops not desktops. But as long as one needs a bigger screen for things, a bigger/better keyboard and a lot of things locally, the PC will not die. And that likely means neither will the browser.

What also keeps, and will continue to keep, Firefox alive is its core user base who will be FireFox until it dies or the browser as a tool becomes obsolete. This is true for Pale Moon and I assume it also will be for Basil.

One last observation: NetMarketShare lists 33 browsers for PC for May. 12 of them had a share of less than 0.01%. Pale moon is not on the list. But I bet it has at least a 0.01% share. There is a listing for Unknown at 0.42%. I think P M and Basil. are in there. Click Show for the very long url to see the data.
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on 2018-06-09, 04:36, edited 2 times in total.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-06-09, 04:40

StatCounter has listed Pale Moon as the eighteenth most-used browser at least for a while. They don't show it on their Web site, but if you download their data it's in there, moving from month to month around 0.03-0.04%.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-06-10, 16:13

I could not find abything about being 18th- In fact, I found StatCounter has FF in the top 3 to 5 slots everywhere I looked.
Browser Market Share Worldwide
Browsers Percentage Market Share
Browser Market Share Worldwide - May 2018
Chrome 58.09%
Safari 13.78%
UC Browser 8.16%
Firefox 5.27%
Opera 3.68%
IE 3.08%
http://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share
Desktop Browser Market Share Worldwide
Desktop Browsers Percentage Market Share
Desktop Browser Market Share Worldwide - May 2018
Chrome 66.93%
Firefox 11.55%
IE 6.97%
Safari 5.48%
Edge 4.15%
Opera 2.36%
http://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share/desktop/worldwide
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-06-10, 16:42

Go here: http://gs.statcounter.com/browser-marke ... 201805-bar
That shows a chart comparing desktop browser market share from last month (May 2018; you can also see data from this month (June 2018), but as the month isn't even halfway over, it may not be completely accurate). Now click 'Download Data (.csv),' and open the file, and you will see that Pale Moon is in fact the seventeenth most-used desktop browser, with a 0.04% share, at least according to StatCounter's data. The reason you must download the data and it isn't shown on their Web site is that the site shows only the top five browsers, and combines all the rest (including Pale Moon) into 'Other.'

frexd

Unread post by frexd » 2018-06-12, 13:48

doofy wrote:
WilliamK wrote:Anyway, re Firefox, I read somewhere that Google were the main contributors of both cash and code input. That might explain a lot.
Google were the main contributors of cash till a few years back when moz dumped them for a highly lucrative contract with yahoo.

Then, a year or so back, yahoo got sold and (cos moz had better corporate lawyers than yahoo) moz pulled out of the contract and - breathtakingly - is suing yahoo to keep paying them. Moz has gone back to google and a couple of other search providers, dependent on geo location.

I've never read anywhere that google is a main contributor of code. An authoritative link or two would be welcome.
I read somewhere that Google payed Mozilla 300 milion usd to have Google search set as default.
Last edited by frexd on 2018-06-12, 13:50, edited 2 times in total.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-06-13, 18:56

I think that it will be likely same as with the Opera. When opera went chromish some folks started cry that opera is dying. But chromeopera lives good now. I was user of the opera and kept using old nonchreme edition for several years after, only then i go to the firefox. Old opera has ever most advanced customize features, new opera is miserable for that, but it has its new users who never seen what old opera was.