Cookies question

General discussion and chat (archived)
Phantom

Cookies question

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-06-02, 06:06

I'm just not too sure about this or not so I'll ask. Is it possible for a website to see what websites you've visited by looking at your cookies? I know some cookies like AD tracking cookies work with all their partner websites, but what about the whole enchilada so to speak? Can a website use some JS and read all the cookies in your browser to see what website's you've been to?
Last edited by Phantom on 2018-06-02, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Cookies question

Unread post by adesh » 2018-06-03, 12:32

A website can only read the cookies set for its domain. It cannot read the cookies of other websites. This is by design. If what you say is possible, then that would be a HUGE security flaw in the browser.

However, it does not mean that websites cannot use cookies to track your activity. Out of different methods of tracking, cookies are one of the most powerful. These tracking cookies are part of what are called "third-party" cookies. One article that explains it well is: http://www.ravelrumba.com/blog/third-party-cookies/.

Some other forms of tracking include HTTP referrers and browser fingerprinting techniques. Read up!

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-06-04, 12:42

Okay, thnaks. I do know about third-party cookies. Wasn't sure if a website could indeed read all of your cookies or not. I did read in a very old book many years ago called Internet Privacy for Dummies about it. When I ran a proxy (can't remember its name now) it blocked so-called "vanilla wafers." What are those and do they still exist?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-04, 13:22

Phantom wrote:"vanilla wafers." What are those and do they still exist?
You can still buy those in the shops - they are just a specific flavor of cookie.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite