A Gracious Thank you.

General discussion and chat (archived)
Thehandyman1957

A Gracious Thank you.

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-30, 06:26

I just wanted to take this moment to say thank you PM Team. There was a time when I really thought I would lose the ability
to use this awesome browser when you made the decision to leave support for XP. I was a die hard XP fan, and still admittedly
love that operating system. But when faced with the decision to either keep XP and have no real future in this browser, or
make the move to W7 and finally deal with my foot dragging and dislike of certain things with W7 on which there were many things.
I decided that your browser was more important to me than XP was. You forced me to grow a bit and work out my differences
with W7 and in the end I did finally hammer this operating system to my liking and actually learned to love it more than XP. :shock:

I am now using your newest Alpha 28.0.0.a2 and I have to say, I was a bit nervous at first. Due to my first workings with Basilisk
and it's breakage with my profile and add on's. But it was all for not. This is truly a work of art. I had two issues which turned out
to be my own add on issues, not the browser it's self. This was truly a painless move and it's not even official yet. So far, I have
had zero issues with this new creation of yours and I'm sure that has come with great amount of work from the PM team and also
those willing to take the time to help work out the bugs.

Sometimes, we just need to stop and think about this project and how it has effected our lives. The amazing benefits that it has
brought to us. The fact that there are those out there that are willing to take time out of their busy lives and write code, clean up
broken code. Folks who care enough to respond and help those who use their creation for free. I have to ask myself, where would we
be if Moonchild and team were not here? What choices would be left to us right now? Those of us who have paid attention know that
the choices left would pale in comparison, and we would sadly have no other choice but to use the "least of evils" as I would term it.

This is the last and true "peoples" browser there is anywhere. The last to keep what made a browser great and make it possible
to use a lot of the add on's that make using this great browser even better. Today I was finally able to allow updates to my add on's
due to the fact that I didn't have to worry about getting something that was incompatible, no more FF add on updates.
Thanks add on team and developers.:thumbup: :clap: This project has come a long way. I just noticed that the latest FEBE
update was made to work with PM. :o How awesome is that. This has been a slow process but I feel that the tide is finally
starting to come in and that more and more add on developers new and old will be drawn to PM. The fact that "others" feel
the need to try to drag down this great browser, shows me that it is indeed making an impact.

So I just wanted to show my appreciation in this small way. I wanted to help others maybe take a moment to think about
where they might be if PM was not here. How it has been a benefit to them. To think about how much others here have
done to make our online life more enjoyable. I use this browser every day. More than any other program I have on my computer.
Some day, my boat will finally come in (yacht or dingy" I'm not sure. But when it does, I will again send some more money your way.
Until then, I take a bow to your hard work, sleepless nights and strained eyes for making something great and letting us use it too. :thumbup: :clap: :angel:

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: A Gracious Thank you.

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-05-30, 07:57

Speaking for myself, it is good to hear you have abandoned Windows XP for internet usage. It makes a good deal of sense.

If you need help setting up Windows to appear more like XP then just PM me and I will offer some assistance. Having made the jump from XP straight to Win10 and then down to Win7 (to find some usability) I know how it feels to be forced to use an interface that is sub-optimal when you are so skilled and familiar with the old friend that is XP.

Win 7 is my Microsoft o/s of choice but exposure to Win10 still has to be endured on occasion. With a few tweaks the regular screams of horror and outbursts of pain can be reduced.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-05-30, 07:58

Pale Moon is a wonderful thing that we are lucky to have, and I have a ton of respect for the team that makes it possible. Thanks!

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-05-30, 08:07

I changed to W7 a couple years ago and was really reluctant to leave XP. It's a bit like Firefox (but not so drastic) - losing 'useability' for an 'upgrade' (going to W10 would be a more apposite comparison).
Having got W7 set up, all software installed (including stopping W10!), I then connected it to the router, did some more looking around, and managed to get it very close to XP in appearance and behaviour. The one thing that I haven't managed is to get the open programmes on the Taskbar to be just icons. It's possible with a W7 theme but I have the Classic theme so that I can use my own colours.
An added advantage: PM27+!
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-30, 09:44

Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts on the project. It's good to see such positive feedback among the sea of negativity that people apparently insist on pouring out to us on any given day, and persistently.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-05-30, 14:57

I am in the same camps here. I liked 98 and XP continued that. I stayed with XP until 8 was out for a while and then I made the switch to 7. I got it looking and working a lot like XP pretty fast. I was already on FF with XP and continued that in Win 7 when I started with it in Jan 2013. Australis drove me here. For this I can actually say that Australis was the best thing Mozilla ever did for me.

I have always maintained that the best way to thank the Pale Moon team for what they do is to donate money if one can afford to do so. It is the support of we the users that enables the team to do what they do. Please, if you are reading this and can send in any amount at all, please do so.

I know I have the rep of wearing a tinfoil hat. maybe so. But every time I read about another new hack, new lies about data collection from most companies involved, my gratitude for Pale Moon grows. I would prefer to pay for software than to exchange my data for it. That option is disappearing most places, but not here. It's free and doesn't collect data. So, I gladly donate what I believe it is worth to me every year I have used Pale Moon. I wish it could be more.

edited for grammar and typos
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on 2018-05-30, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-05-30, 15:18

Moonchild wrote:Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts on the project. It's good to see such positive feedback among the sea of negativity that people apparently insist on pouring out to us on any given day, and persistently.
Quoted from https://rachelbythebay.com/w/2018/04/01/support/
After I had been doing this for a little while, late one night, I openly lamented the apparent situation that "everything seems to be broken". One of the other people on the floor that night had been doing it much longer than me, and said something that didn't really "land" with me at first: we only hear about the stuff that's broken. The other stuff which is working just works and nobody hears about it.
Just an attempt to see the bright side: there might be a lot of problems, but they're few compared to stuff that works. :)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-30, 17:07

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:Speaking for myself, it is good to hear you have abandoned Windows XP for internet usage. It makes a good deal of sense.

If you need help setting up Windows to appear more like XP then just PM me and I will offer some assistance. Having made the jump from XP straight to Win10 and then down to Win7 (to find some usability) I know how it feels to be forced to use an interface that is sub-optimal when you are so skilled and familiar with the old friend that is XP.

Win 7 is my Microsoft o/s of choice but exposure to Win10 still has to be endured on occasion. With a few tweaks the regular screams of horror and outbursts of pain can be reduced.
I appreciate your offer. ;) No need though, I have got it just the way I like it now. :thumbup: