Google Chrome: removal of Secure and HTTPS indicators.

General discussion and chat (archived)
Latitude

Google Chrome: removal of Secure and HTTPS indicators.

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-05-26, 03:34

What do you think about this UI change?

Is this an example of bad UI because it isn't informative anymore?

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/18/googl ... and-https/

Last edited by Latitude on 2018-05-26, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Google Chrome: removal of Secure and HTTPS indicators.

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-26, 06:19

I understand that 99.99% people's brain cannot process that level of detail, but this is going to make people even dumber. Dumb people are good for business.

Chrome's security is sloppy because it *has* to work in all cases, even if the site is not so secure. Because of people's mentality, a site not working in a browser is thought to be the browser's fault. You know, websites have always been secure, from day one. Even when there was no HTTPS. Then came HTTPS. And now it's going to go back where it came from. Thanks to Google. Google is trying to become the Internet Gatekeeper. Soon may come a day when you cannot use Internet without a Google account. Google may be the only CA (Expect-CT). Google may be the only ISP.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-26, 09:36

Removing it is an example of bad UI design because it no longer indicates essential information.

If people are going to do that, then what's the point in pushing for https? If there's no indicator, then the user won't know if they are using a secure connection. While the trend has been to water it down by making it commonplace, it is no less important to check whenever you are using a site where it matters, like finances, confidential personal information, accounts, etc.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-05-26, 10:18

google calls it innovation but i call it a complete waste of time and it will only confuse the user.No doubt firefox will inherit this new "innovation". :crazy:
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2018-05-26, 17:31

Moonchild wrote:If there's no indicator, then the user won't know if they are using a secure connection. While the trend has been to water it down by making it commonplace, it is no less important to check whenever you are using a site where it matters, like finances, confidential personal information, accounts, etc.
Iirc, the idea is to display when a site is NOT using HTTPS instead of when it is, like it does now. I'm not sure if thats really any better or worse, especially since 98% of users has no idea what any of that is, even if they do manage to notice the green or red thing on their address bar. :/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-26, 17:46

As recently stated in another thread: https is not just about encryption -- it is also about authentication of the host (i.e.: am I talking to the server/service I intended to contact?).
A negative icon cannot display this information when lack of the icon means "secure". Where are you going to see that you're actually talking to the right server when the "secure connection" indicator is not there?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2018-05-26, 18:28

Moonchild wrote:As recently stated in another thread: https is not just about encryption -- it is also about authentication of the host (i.e.: am I talking to the server/service I intended to contact?).
A negative icon cannot display this information when lack of the icon means "secure". Where are you going to see that you're actually talking to the right server when the "secure connection" indicator is not there?
I know, and I agree. I also think that after trying to train users for so long that the green box thingy is good, suddenly going in the opposite direction is a Bad Idea. Not that I'm convinced that most people notice, let alone care, one way or the other.