Which VPN?

General discussion area and chat

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
This General Discussions forum is an open chat area, so you can talk about almost any subject. Please keep things civil, though!

Please do try to somewhat stick to the relevance of this forum, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Totally random" subjects don't really belong here, even in the general discussion area.
rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Which VPN?

Unread postby rabnbeinn » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 15:20

Yes a VPN will slow down your download speed, some servers more than others. It's a case of finding the best server, I live in the UK and I get my best speeds from a server in Sweden which is considerably faster than a server that is less than 30 miles from my home.

van p
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby van p » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 16:11

Thanks, rabnbeinn. Does the user experiment by trying different servers/locations and choosing the one that's fastest--is that how it works? Could the test results change over time: a server/location slows down for whatever reason, or speeds up, or a new one becomes available? Do all the servers/locations from a particular vendor have exactly the same characteristics otherwise, like privacy, logging, etc.? Also, a vendor may be located in a privacy-friendly country/territory, but what about a server that's not located in such a place; is there some level of risk there? I guess the URL mentioned earlier about the Turkish government seizing a server says, "Yes," although the eventual outcome may be benign. Thanks again.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 8GB i5-4570 | Pale Moon v27.9.4 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Mon, 06 Aug 2018, 16:41

Locking this thread since all it does now is attract spammers.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Return to “General discussion”