Win10: antivirus impact on system performance

General discussion and chat (archived)
laozi

Win10: antivirus impact on system performance

Unread post by laozi » 2018-05-19, 09:54

hello,
A ranking of eighteen security solutions in terms of their impact on system performance. On an entry-level Windows 10 laptop.
The podium of security solutions with the least impact on system performance is: K7 Total Security, ESET Internet Security and Avast Free Antivirus
https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/avc_per_201804_en.pdf
good reading

Phantom

Re: Win10: antivirus impact on system performance

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-05-22, 07:14

If anyone is running Avast, go ahead and go to speedtest.net and note the speed. Now Uninstall Avast with Revo Uninstaller, reboot the computer and check your Internet speed again.

I have done this time and time again running Avast and have always noticed a difference. Albeit this was years ago.

I used to use Bitdefender Free, but it messes with Team Viewer so I had to uninstall it. I do have it installed on my parents computer and my aunt's computer. I have never seen a slow down. The pdf says Bitdefender is pretty fast, but I always used the free version. I don't believe in paying for an anti-virus. That's like paying the mafia for a juice loan as far as I'm concerned. Now I just use Sandboxie and scan my downloads at virus total and know how to use the Internet.

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-05-22, 15:00

This test has a result that is almost opposite to what I have experienced with Win7 and AV's.
It may very well be because the test is done on Win10.
On Win10 the AV's must ignore keyloggers, trojans ect. because these things are built into Win10....

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-05-22, 18:38

PalleP wrote:On Win10 the AV's must ignore keyloggers, trojans ect. because these things are built into Win10....
Let's get not too paranoid.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-22, 19:09

back2themoon wrote:
PalleP wrote:On Win10 the AV's must ignore keyloggers, trojans ect. because these things are built into Win10....
Let's get not too paranoid.
Some paranoia is a good thing, especially when it's true. ;)
How to turn off Windows 10's keylogger (yes, it still has one)
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2974057 ... s-one.html

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-05-22, 19:12

PalleP wrote: On Win10 the AV's must ignore keyloggers, trojans ect. because these things are built into Win10....
Missing brain.jpg

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-05-23, 14:22

Off-topic:
It's not stupid to find Microsoft's privacy policies objectionable
(regardless if every bit of PalleP's statement is accurate or not).

And it's not stupid or wrong to care enough about your privacy to find Microsoft's policies objectionable.

It is generally understood that Microsoft shows rather poor respect for users' privacy with Windows 10.

In addition, if you disagree with the content of a post, refute that content if you're able, and back up what you have to say. Please don't respond with name-calling.

@Folks, This topic is about the performance impact of various AV's on Windows 10, so posts here should tie into that.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-05-23, 16:18, edited 2 times in total.

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-05-28, 07:58

Off-topic:
Absolutely amazing how many defend 10 like it's the best thing since sliced bread. Might as well implant a smart phone chip in your brain while you're at it. I'm sure that will come along shortly. And everyone will praise the analytical harvesting Gods. It's like no F's given. Not one.

"Hello Alexia, how can I be a perfect little drone today?" Install 10 and and kiss Redmond's ass.

Remember, free is never free. Everything comes with a price.
:evil:

Edit-

"Don't be evil!"
Last edited by Phantom on 2018-05-28, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-05-31, 13:26

The only security product I use out-of-the-web-browser scope is Faronics DeepFreeze.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faronics#Deep_Freeze
Last edited by Latitude on 2018-05-31, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-05-31, 15:41

I looked into DeepFreeze but it was so cotton picking expensive.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-06-01, 00:32

I am forced to use Win10 at work. Had Avast installed for quite some time, but after news broke that Avast broke updates I uninstalled it and am currently running BitDefender. It feels like a new computer.
Avast uses a lot of system resources.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

JasonWatkins

Unread post by JasonWatkins » 2018-08-24, 12:37

Phantom wrote:If anyone is running Avast, go ahead and go to speedtest.net and note the speed. Now Uninstall Avast with Revo Uninstaller, reboot the computer and check your Internet speed again.

I have done this time and time again running Avast and have always noticed a difference. Albeit this was years ago.

I used to use Bitdefender Free, but it messes with Team Viewer so I had to uninstall it. I do have it installed on my parents computer and my aunt's computer. I have never seen a slow down. The pdf says Bitdefender is pretty fast, but I always used the free version. I don't believe in paying for an anti-virus. That's like paying the mafia for a juice loan as far as I'm concerned. Now I just use Sandboxie and scan my downloads at virus total and know how to use the Internet.
Paid anti-virus have a lot of features. The basic functionality of virus scanning, detection, cloud detection and probably heuristics are usually part of the free version. What paid versions of software can give you are more thorough and specific defense against major malware groups. Ransomware, Trojans, Viruses, Adware/browser hijackers. Explicitly checking for such issues (They also include bigger and more thorough databases for each group), that leads to slightly better protection. In addition to that, you usually get decent 24/7 support. MUCH better? Not really. Better? Sure

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-08-29, 06:33

I just use Faronics Anti-executable anymore.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-08-29, 18:47

Phantom wrote:I just use Faronics Anti-executable anymore.
My firewall does the same thing and is free. ;)

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-09-01, 17:28

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
Phantom wrote:I just use Faronics Anti-executable anymore.
My firewall does the same thing and is free. ;)

What firewall so I can test it.