Looking for new PDF Reader

General discussion and chat (archived)
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Looking for new PDF Reader

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-01-18, 00:39

I'm looking to replace Foxit PDF reader. I haven't been too pleased with the last couple of versions. Can anyone suggest a free pdf reader?

I tried Nitro a while back and took it off, can't remember why but I didn't like it for some reason. Just tried Sumatra yesterday, and while I liked it a lot, I prefer to have a reader that supports form filling, which Sumatra does not. Adobe Reader is out of the question!

Any suggestions?

Apollo702

Re: Looking for new PDF Reader

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-01-18, 03:04

How funny that you mentioned that. I recently have gotten really pissed because it also was having installation and icon generation issues. Sumatra PDF IMO was tied with it in quality before Foxit started having issues so try that one instead. Also, IMO the only reason to keep stinky old Adobe PDF is because some ancient (usually government) sites are only compatible with it.

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2013-01-18, 08:42

I ditched Foxit about a year ago for the Firefox HTML5 addon PDF viewer and I've never looked back.

alan9182

Unread post by alan9182 » 2013-01-18, 13:39

I use and recommend the free portable version of PDF-XChange Viewer
http://www.tracker-software.com/product ... nge-viewer
http://www.tracker-software.com/pdf-xch ... ison-chart

I do not know if this can be used via or as an Add-on or Plug-in because I wish to retain control of my Browser.
When I had an Acer Laptop I went to my local U.K. Acer site for information,
and they open a PDF in Firefox.
Unfortunately the PDF was held in Australia and my broadband link was slower than a dial-up modem,
and for over half an hour Firefox was committed to that PDF and would NOT allow me to open any other TABS and do anything but WAIT.

I am never going to risk tying up my browser with a PDF again.
Besides which - I think of a PDF facility as another gateway for malware.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-01-18, 20:27

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned in my original post, I want one that is smaller than Foxit. Judging by the size of the exe file, PDF-XChange Viewer is a bit bigger.

alan9182

Unread post by alan9182 » 2013-01-18, 22:30

It totals 13.4 MB for the application,
plus another 6.61 MB for the optional Help File.
I have not updated since Last January.

I do not know the sizes of the latest versions,
but when I only had 10 GB of available space in my Laptop I was happy to accept perhaps a 20% increase in size for a 400% increase in usefulness.

e.g. Foxit could only read a PDF,
PDF-X could also search for a phrase and select any portion of text and copy to my paste buffer.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-01-18, 23:31

Okay, I'm considering trying it out on by wife's computer (her computer is the guinea pig). :)

moonlighting

Unread post by moonlighting » 2013-01-19, 00:35

Ryrynz wrote:I ditched Foxit about a year ago for the Firefox HTML5 addon PDF viewer and I've never looked back.
I also use the Mozilla-developed PDF Viewer addon.

However, I also use PDF Xchange Viewer when I'm not browsing on the web.

Pasta Viking

Unread post by Pasta Viking » 2013-01-26, 22:44

As others have said, the Firefox add-on works pretty well.

As for offline PDF viewers, another one that you could give a try would be Evince. I haven't tried it out on Windows, but it runs really well on my Linux machine (much snappier than Adobe Reader). However, I do believe it is larger than Foxit (Evince has a 31.6 MB installation file).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-26, 23:47

If you want a lightweight viewer, you can try MuPDF, http://mupdf.com/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-01-27, 00:15

Wow mupdf is realy fast. Display the pages a little faster then sumatra pdf :o
But have not so much features like print, or i didn't see this yet

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-01-28, 15:30

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've had PDF X-Change Viewer on my wife's computer a while now. I really like it; except for the creepy eyeball icon they use (it makes me feel like I'm being watched :) ). If I do switch on my own computer, that'll be the one I go to.

Researched mupdf; looks good but it doesn't support form filling, so its a no-go for me. Evince seems to be an all-in-one type of program, a lot of stuff besides pdf. Too much for me.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. I would have never had found most of them on my own.