Is there a way to change a add on's icon size?

General discussion and chat (archived)
Thehandyman1957

Is there a way to change a add on's icon size?

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-06, 17:58

As the title says, I have a add on called "Email This! Bookmarklet Extension 2.3.0.1-signed.1-signed" on both mine and
my wife's computer. Her eyes are pretty bad and she simply has a hard time finding this tiny icon as it's smaller than all the rest.
Screenshot - 5_6_2018 , 10_56_41 AM.png
Screenshot - 5_6_2018 , 10_56_41 AM.png (1.44 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
Is there a way to change only this icon size to something bigger? :think:

JustOff

Re: Is there a way to change a add on's icon size?

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-05-06, 18:23

Unfortunately, this extension license prevents anyone from helping you in any way:
You are free to use 'Email This!' with any of the applications or services offered by Mozilla. You may not modify, distribute, or sell any (previous or current) version of 'Email This!' under any name without the author's (Arthur Sabintsev) authorization. All Other Rights Reserved.
Actually, you do not even have the right to use it with Pale Moon :roll:

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-05-06, 18:53

There is the option to enlarge the UI of Pale Moon in general with a bit code inside the userchrome.css - or with the use of the stylish add-on and a nd the same css entries.

or write in the url field about:config

and experiment with the following entry:

layout.css.devPixelsPerPx

search for it, double click it and change the value - for example 1 or 1.5 or 2

As i have also a slight eye problem, my value which works best with a Windows scaling value of 150% is 1 - That is a nice middle ground in my opinion.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-05-06, 19:08, edited 2 times in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-06, 19:15

JustOff wrote:Unfortunately, this extension license prevents anyone from helping you in any way:
You are free to use 'Email This!' with any of the applications or services offered by Mozilla. You may not modify, distribute, or sell any (previous or current) version of 'Email This!' under any name without the author's (Arthur Sabintsev) authorization. All Other Rights Reserved.
Actually, you do not even have the right to use it with Pale Moon :roll:
Thanks JustOff, I will see if I can contact the author. :(
I finally found his Github site and sent him an email. We'll wait and see. :angel:
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-05-06, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-07, 02:04

I got a reply from Arthur the author of this add on. This was our correspondence.

Hello Arthur, I have read that you are no longer working on the "Email This" add on and the FF link to Github is a 404 not found.
My question is this, would you allow someone else to work on it?
We use this every day and love it.
My wife has very poor vision and needs the icon made larger, but due to the licence restrictions
we are not allowed to make any changes.
Would you please give us permission to fix this and perhaps let someone else take it over?
Thanks

His Reply

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the email. It's always nice to hear from people who found a useful utility in using a piece of software I wrote 12 years ago, and stopped supporting 7 years ago.
The source code can be found here: (I have it!) I'll keep it up there for a few days, or until I hear back from you that you got it.
It's ugly, as it was my first real javascript project, which is also the reason it's not on GitHub.
Do with it what you want. I hope you get it back up and running for your wife's sake!
Also, this add-on won't work on the newer version of Firefox, so stick to versions released pre Fall-2017.
Best of luck!
Arthur
So This clears up the problem with the license issue. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

This add on still works as it was intended but I am having the same issue as mentioned above. I just need the icon to be larger.
If there is anyone that could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

I have tested it on the latest Basilisk 64 bit and it works perfectly, perhaps we could post it on the add on's site? :think:

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-05-07, 10:54

Great, I'll try to help you with the icons when I have some free time, if no one does it until then.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-07, 17:01

Sounds Great, thank you. :thumbup:

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-05-08, 15:59

I know that everyone is busy with something else, but this might be useful if/when you decide to try to fix this problem:
The extension ships with two sets of icons, one in 24x24 px and another in 16x16 px. When the add-on is installed, the buttons in the "Customize" window show as 24x24, but when I drag it outside to a toolbar it changes to 16x16, which results in a button with a small icon surrounded by a lot of padding. I've noticed this before with other extensions but, since it was a minor bug, I ignored it. I've been able to see the code that affects the button with the Browser Debugger window, but I don't know how to code :? so I guess the best I can do is see which other extensions have this problem and post them here...

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-05-08, 16:09

Well, here is my initial version of Email This Anywhere! forked from Email This! by Arthur Sabintsev. It's not well polished yet, but already worth to try, and it's easier to experiment with icons since their layout was simplified.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-08, 16:19

Seems to work just fine. But the icon is still too small. I did notice that you changed the actual add on icon
and that is actually a very nice easy to see icon. perhaps that could be considered? :think:
Screenshot - 5_8_2018 , 9_18_27 AM.png
Screenshot - 5_8_2018 , 9_18_27 AM.png (1.59 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-05-08, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-05-08, 16:28

Thehandyman1957 wrote:But the icon is still too small.
Could you provide the screenshot of your browser toolbar panel? Is there are any other bigger icons there?

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-08, 17:24

Here ya go.
Screenshot - 5_8_2018 , 10_22_35 AM.png
Your icon is directly to the left of the address bar.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-05-08, 17:28

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Your icon is directly to the left of the address bar.
You are probably kidding not including it into the screenshot 8-)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-08, 18:30

I realize now that somehow I picked the wrong icon.
Screenshot - 5_8_2018 , 11_25_39 AM.png
I'm using an add on called "Toolbar Buttons 1.1" and it gives me a bunch of different icons and when I saw
that one I thought that was it. It actually worked which is why I thought that was the icon you were using.

I did find the right icons after searching for the Scriptish icon as I just found out that Scriptish is not working anymore. :crazy:

But for my wife, who is blind in one eye and has tunnel vision on the other the pink icon would have been awesome for her.
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-05-08, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-05-08, 18:47

@Thehandyman1957 even I got lost trying to find the button (I'm young and my eyesight is good), no wonder your wife had trouble finding the other button. Also, you might want Greasemonkey for Pale Moon.

@JustOff, your fork now displays a bigger icon :thumbup:
Last edited by BlueOwl on 2018-05-08, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-05-08, 18:53

As far as I can see all the icons on your screenshot have the same size, so that means they are 16x16 and not bigger. But the visual size of the icons that you perceive depends on the image on them.

Now, after the add-on layout was simplified, you can just replace any icon in the skin folder of the XPI using 7-zip and try to choose the ones your wife likes best.
Last edited by JustOff on 2018-05-08, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-08, 19:00

BlueOwl wrote:@Thehandyman1957 even I got lost trying to find the button (I'm young and my eyesight is good), no wonder your wife had trouble finding the other button. Also, you might want Greasemonkey for Pale Moon.
Got it. ;) :thumbup:

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-08, 19:19

JustOff wrote:As far as I can see all the icons on your screenshot have the same size, so that means they are 16x16 and not bigger. But the visual size of the icons that you perceive depends on the image on them.

Now, after the add-on layout was simplified, you can just replace any icon in the skin folder of the XPI using 7-zip and try to choose the ones your wife likes best.
Thank you Just Off and all who made this possible. My wife thanks you all too. :thumbup: :clap: ;)
She can now see that icon just fine.
Screenshot - 5_8_2018 , 12_16_09 PM.png
I off course, will not be needing it that big and your original color is just fine for me. :mrgreen: