Video Driver crash in PM

General discussion and chat (archived)
Thehandyman1957

Video Driver crash in PM

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-05, 22:26

I have a new issue that just surfaced today. I was watching a couple of dumb YouTube video's and all of a sudden my display when blank on both of my monitors.
It finally restored it's self and everything seemed fine.

The interesting part is that I have two video cards, one running my larger display and one running my second display.
But after looking around I cannot get W7 to show the other display. I will pull the cover and check.

Turns out I pulled that card. So just the one card is running both displays.

The video that I was watching is this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0FSXcBeOs0

Here is my specs.
Screenshot - 5_5_2018 , 3_04_53 PM.png
Here is the event log.
Screenshot - 5_5_2018 , 3_07_11 PM.png
Log Name: System
Source: Display
Date: 5/5/2018 2:12:30 PM
Event ID: 4101
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Handy-PC
Description:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Display" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">4101</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-05-05T21:12:30.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>18582</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Handy-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>nvlddmkm</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
So a few minutes later it apparently crashed again but this time froze the whole system and had to be hard reset.
I cannot find anything in Administrative Events but the fact that the system simply crashed. When it did, both monitors were affected and one
was blue and the other black. I downloaded Appviewcrash and it showed zero crashes due to the fact that I had the service disabled. I have since
re-enabled it and will try to reproduce the issue.

A couple of other Administrative Events at the same time were because of the above mentioned disabled service. Here is the only other two that stood out.
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMPNSS-Service
Date: 5/5/2018 2:50:30 PM
Event ID: 14332
Level: Error
Description:
Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' did not start correctly because CoCreateInstance(CLSID_UPnPDeviceFinder) encountered error '0x80070422'. Verify that the UPnPHost service is running and that the UPnPHost component of Windows is installed properly.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMPNSS-Service" Guid="{6A2DC7C1-930A-4FB5-BB44-80B30AEBED6C}" EventSourceName="WMPNetworkSvc" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49165">14332</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-05-05T21:50:30.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>18670</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="ServiceName">WMPNetworkSvc</Data>
<Data Name="ErrorCode">0x80070422</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
And this one that showed twice just a couple of minutes apart and that coincides with both crashes.
Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Date: 5/5/2018 2:52:12 PM
Event ID: 10
Level: Error
Description:
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMI" Guid="{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}" EventSourceName="WinMgmt" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-05-05T21:52:12.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>3576</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>//./root/CIMV2</Data>
<Data>SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99</Data>
<Data>0x80041003</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Again, I will update after trying to get it to repeat the issue and see if I can get a crash dump this time.
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-05-06, 00:34, edited 2 times in total.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Video Driver crash in PM

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-05-05, 22:48

Are you overclocking your video card? If you are, back off on the frequency, especially the GPU! That's the same Windows error message I get, when running Heaven 4.0, IIRC, when I OC'ed my video card too much...

And what GeForce model do you have?

Additionally, the error message in the third spoiler is a Windows 7 bug, IIRC, likely introduced in SP1, IIRC. You will get that message on every boot!

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-06, 00:11

I couldn't reproduce the error with over 15 other vids. No overclocking to my knowledge. Just out of box drivers and as up to date
as I could find. :think: I also checked temps and all was good.

Sorry, did not realize it did not make on the specs.
Screenshot - 5_5_2018 , 5_12_43 PM.png
Here is the Speccy stats.
Screenshot - 5_5_2018 , 5_14_31 PM.png
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-05-06, 00:15, edited 3 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-06, 09:38

The following article may be of help. It details what's happening (TDR) and some causes for it, as well as some workarounds.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/413110/geforce-drivers/the-nvlddmkm-error-what-is-it-an-fyi-for-those-seeing-this-issue/

Playing a video shouldn't strain your card, even with DXVA in use, so it may be a motherboard NB/SB issue. Have you tweaked any frequencies or voltages of the mobo or is it getting old? Also, since you clearly performed maintenance to components yourself, have you ensured that your video card is firmly and securely seated in its slot? Have you tried completely removing and reinstalling the video driver after removing your second card?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2018-05-06, 14:13

You might want to try a video driver rollback if you're running driver 397.31, it does have some issues (primarily with, but not restricted to, 1060 cards).

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-06, 17:48

Thanks Moonchild, I removed the other card before my latest fresh W7 (2 months ago) as I purchased a new W7 Pro CD for this computer, so that can be ruled out.
I will double check the seat to make sure it's in there all the way.Haven't changed any mother board settings so everything should be completely stock.
I have never been an overclock guy, and the bios says everything is in normal mode.

One thing that always bothered me though since I have had this computer is that the Mother board chip is always so hot. It bothered me so much that I
ended up mounting a small cooler fan directly on the chip heat sink to help but it still sits at high temps all the time even if the rest of the computer is fine.
Screenshot - 5_6_2018 , 10_41_52 AM.png
I did a bunch of research on this board and they seem to agree that this particular chip runs hot normally. So I kinda let it ride. But when the crash happened it
was sitting at 69c while the rest of the stuff was normal. So I'm not sure if that could be part of the issue. :problem:

I will check out that article. :thumbup:

Satrow, I looked and the driver installed is "384.76-desktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql" so I guess it's not the one you referred to.
But it was the newest one I could find on their website, Er well around the middle of last year that is. :oops: :lol:
So perhaps that is a good thing then. ;)
Screenshot - 5_6_2018 , 10_34_05 AM.png

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-07, 04:37

Well, I read that post that Moonchild linked to. Very interesting article and it led me down a nice rabbit hole.

It turns out that MSI themselves admitted that even though they said the AMD FX-8350 8 Core chip would be fine on their motherboards
it turns out it is not true. Apparently the VRM get too hot and cannot handle the voltage required by the processor if run hard.

Also while digging, I found out that they used less than great VRM's in this board which explains my temps. I also figured out that
when I put the extra fan on the board I actually put it in the wrong place. So I will fix that tomorrow.

I'm also going to reset the bios just in case something was left over from the other owner.
Will check the seating of the Video card also. I did update the drivers to 391.35 so as to get as new as possible drivers without
getting any of the issues with the 395 version.

So, we'll see what happens. :mrgreen:

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-08, 04:27

Just a short update: I pulled everything out and cleaned the entire board and slots.
Pulled the CPU cleaned off the old thermal paste and put on new Arctic Silver 5 Paste.
Cleaned out all the slots and boards and reseated.
Moved the cooler fan I installed over to the VRM heat sinks to help with the dissipation of heat.
Reset the Bios to clear any bad settings that may have come from the previous owner.

So far these are my temps. Yes the Motherboard VRM's are high, but apparently that is the norm for this board. :crazy:
Screenshot - 5_7_2018 , 12_26_11 AM.png
I also ran Furmark test on the both the CPU and GPU and the highest the temps got for the CPU was 69c
And as soon as the test was over it dropped back down to 37c. The GPU never got higher than 49c.
The Mother board VRM's highest temp was also 69c but after the test, it dropped back down to around 54c.
That seems within reason so we'll see what happens for a while. :coffee:
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-05-08, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-10, 17:42

Well, a final update to what caused these crashes can be locked down to high temps on the board and CPU
and nothing with PM. I have a switch on the case that allows me to run my case fans at low or high speed,
and for the most part I have run them on low just for the noise level. But it is apparent, after some research,
that this board and CPU combo should have never been allowed due to high voltage and temp issues.

So yesterday I was playing a game on the computer and it crashed again. Same thing happened two more
times after reboot playing that game. I started Speccy and the CPU and VRM's were almost 70c. :o

As soon as I turned the fans back up, the temps dropped to more moderate levels and the crashes stopped.

So I will have to live with the noisy fans. Man, dang these first world problems. :mrgreen: