Hello! New Convert to Pale Moon Here!

General discussion and chat (archived)
adammeier

Hello! New Convert to Pale Moon Here!

Unread post by adammeier » 2018-05-05, 09:18

Hello Pale Moon Community!

I should have made this introduction weeks ago when I almost-instantly fell in love with the browser, but as life goes on and things get comfortable, I forget! I don't know if this is the perfect place to put introductions and stuff, but oh well.
I switched to Pale Moon roughly three or four weeks ago when I was on one of my usual "web browser" exoduses. Opera (and Opera Mail) get boring and Firefox gets stale. With the bloated market of web browsers, it becomes claustrophobic and uncomforting to browse the web with environments both aesthetically and technically. Blink, Webkit, Gecko, to name a few. Internally, they are sound, but the decision in regards to "painting" the look of their browser is unattractive. No matter the fork or build.

My first "exodus" started (IIRC) around 2012 with the isolation of the Presto engine, when Opera moved to Blink and joined the Chromium project. I moved to Firefox and Thunderbird for a few years (2012-2015) before moving back to Opera and their e-mail client (2015-2017). There was a brief time when I joined up with the Mozilla Suite branch-off known as SeaMonkey, but due to some technical issues (sync and lack of add-on support with later versions) I had to split from that endeavor. And that was when I was lost once more to the interwebs with no home browser. Otter Browser was my first endeavor, but it was unstable due to load times and occasional spikes in instability because of its built-in adblock filters. While I respected the idea of reviving Opera 12 through Qt and Webkit, it was not my cup of tea. Then I looked back into SeaMonkey. Still the same sin it had before with add-on support (all I asked for was an adblocker). Then I found Pale Moon.
While it had some issues at first, I found some workarounds. It was mostly an environment issue. Not knowing where things were and how to navigate its engine's options and tabs.

Anyways! In the end of that hassle, I'm now a dev build user to help out with any problems, and I use MoonChild's builds of Fossamail. (I know it's not really supported, but if he keeps chugging out builds, I'm right behind the guy.)
I intend of building my first ever PC when I get a job and the cash to support such a project, and when I build it, Pale Moon will EASILY be my first pick for the first run of applications to be installed.

Thanks for reading!

-B

Thehandyman1957

Re: Hello! New Convert to Pale Moon Here!

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-05, 17:26

Let me be the first to welcome you to PM and the forum community! :thumbup:

There is much to be had here and the future is looking bright. 8-)

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-05-06, 23:44

adammeier wrote:
Welcome! :wave: I'm glad you like Pale Moon and you've been able to find everything you need. And yes, the future is looking bright (and customizable 8-) ).
Last edited by BlueOwl on 2018-05-06, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-05-07, 12:57

Welcome, enjoy your stay :)

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-05-07, 13:58

adammeier wrote:Hello Pale Moon Community!

[Snipped]
Good Day and Welcome to the Pale Moon Family!
The users here are great, and as we all know, the browser is even better! It also took me a while to learn to love Pale Moon, but once the bug bit me, I was hooked for life.
Using Pale Moon is such a clean and crisp experience, it's amazing.
Last edited by satrow on 2018-05-07, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-05-08, 16:16

Welcome to the Pale Moon community - the light side of the Mozilla Firefox debacle! :thumbup:
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

mrmivo

Unread post by mrmivo » 2018-05-10, 19:03

Welcome to the PM community. :)

Pale Moon fixed all my issues that I had with the "standard browsers". I mostly liked Firefox and thought Quantum worked well, but I was put off when I learned that Mozilla had taken a large chunk of money from Google for making their search engine FF's default while simultaneously puffing themselves up as deeply caring about privacy and freedom. The blurb even explicitly mentioned search bubbles as something that Mozilla fights against. It was a little too much hypocrisy for me.