coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

GHacks: "Firefox 60: sponsored content for US users"

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-05-02, 21:23

The article: Firefox 60: sponsored content for US users
Predictable (and to me, noxious). :\

& Mozilla's announcement
(their "privacy conscious" approach to making the user into the product)

Since 60 will be the new ESR, presumably ESR will have that stuff too...?
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-05-02, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: GHacks: "Firefox 60: sponsored content for US users"

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-05-02, 22:08

Well, if anyone is using the new Firefox Quantum, they don't have to put up with "sponsored content". This sponsored content is this Pocket crap. But Pocket is a built in extension so there is a way out. In "about:config" (without the quote marks), in the Search field, type in"

Code: Select all

extensions.pocket.enabled
The setting should be set to "True". Then double click it to change it to "False" and this should (and the key word is "should") kill off the sponsored content. If this works and I think it does, this will work until Mozilla (aka Beard & Co) through telemetry, realize millions (or hundreds of millions) of Firefox users are opting out of "sponsored content". If I was a Firefox user and I'm not, but if I was, I know I would opt out of sponsored content.

So I suspect Mozilla will remove this setting in "about:config" in a future release of Firefox so Firefox users can't opt out of sponsored content. Mozilla wants to monetize their Firefox users though advertising and I think this was Mozilla's long term goal when Mozilla bought Pocket.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-02, 23:14

Night Wing wrote:(or hundreds of millions)
I think you overestimate the size of the Firefox user base.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-05-03, 05:59

Mozilla cares for money and influence more than for actual users.

Well, with Mozilla's new and replaced userbase who is applauding every single move they make, it is no surprising. Power users would have objected such ideas like many other ones. People who think in much more mainstreamed ways - the people Mozilla prefers to have around today - are way easier to manipulate and to mislead.

Mozilla will not step back from their way they walk, because all the users and developers who had common sense and have been really caring are long gone.

What is left... there are tons of resources like Ghacks, which show that more than clearly, and this is absolutely nothing of what a company should be proud of, because for a serious company/for a serious developer, all that new "hardline supporters" would have been more than mortifyingly and most likely companies which really take care of their image would have distanced themselves from such "users"! :ugeek:
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-05-03, 06:06, edited 3 times in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-05-03, 11:27

+1 sajadi. this is why i stick with Pale Moon despite the occasional hardship, and negative attitude from both key member and other users or non-users, Moonchild's ideals are still being upheld and i see no indication they won't continue to be upheld for the foreseeable future
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-05-03, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-05-04, 11:37

fillerup wrote:+1 sajadi. this is why i stick with Pale Moon despite the occasional hardship, and negative attitude from both key member and other users or non-users, Moonchild's ideals are still being upheld and i see no indication they won't continue to be upheld for the foreseeable future
This very important key fact is in my opinion responsible what for a kind of userbase is being collected. And i can say that i have not seen a more disappointing community than since Australis has arrived. With the loss of real power users and the loss of real awesome features quite a lot of strange fellas have entered the screen. Hating customization, rabid defenders of speed, simplicity and minimalism only.

If it would be possible to put Mozilla's past community and the new one on a screen and compare them side by side, the old one wins in every single way over the new one which consists of a pretty high amount of trolls and general weird beings.

Worse than every other community i know. And for sure no match for communities of smaller projects which are quality wise WAY superior. Sure, every community has problems, but right now Mozilla is the developer with the most problematic one. As that guys show less than zero respect in comparison with unique features and everything which actually challanges a user in a good and important way.

Just take a look to many of the comments on that article - looks more like some kind professional sales talk of a couple of sneaky car salesmen, trying to sell others a total wreckage and not like a real serious critical community which is also open for other ideas or visions. :roll:
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-05-04, 11:40, edited 2 times in total.

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-05-06, 22:51

Night Wing wrote:this will work until Mozilla (aka Beard & Co) through telemetry, realize millions (or hundreds of millions) of Firefox users are opting out of "sponsored content".
Looks like at least some people opted out of telemetry last year, after Mozilla tried to pull off this experiment that looked like malware: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/7jh9rv/what_is_looking_glass/ .