Duplicate email messages

General discussion and chat (archived)
NorrinRadd

Duplicate email messages

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2018-04-26, 08:16

Something went haywire and I now have hundreds, maybe thousands, of duplicate email messages in Thunderbird.

Is there a way to automate finding and deleting the dupes?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Duplicate email messages

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-26, 09:57

There's an extension that can do this for you.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-04-26, 10:09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

NorrinRadd

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2018-04-26, 10:19

billmcct wrote:I have used this in the past:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... -messages/
First thing I tried. How do I install it? When I double-click the .xpi file, it tries to install in Pale Moon and fails.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-04-26, 11:12

Drag the file into TB.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

NorrinRadd

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2018-04-26, 18:42

billmcct wrote:Drag the file into TB.
I'm sorry, I think I need more information. I downloaded the file, opened the folder, and tried dragging it to TB, but I never get anything but the little circle with the line through it that means "No, you can't do that."

NorrinRadd

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2018-04-26, 20:57

Never mind, turned out I just needed Google and more caffeine. It is currently installed and grinding away at deleting over 14000 duplicates.

Sheesh. :wtf:

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-04-26, 22:19

Sorry it took a while to answer. Glad you got it working. 14000? Geeze. I personally haven't used a mail program in about 15 years. All I use now is one Yahoo mail address. At one point I was using 12 addresses hence TB. As long as all I get are about 6 to 10 spam mails a week I have no use for any others.
Last edited by billmcct on 2018-04-26, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Lasorda

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-26, 22:46

Is there no way to turn that duplication function off in thunderbird?.Sorry it has been years since i used it.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

NorrinRadd

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2018-04-27, 06:51

Moonraker wrote:Is there no way to turn that duplication function off in thunderbird?.Sorry it has been years since i used it.
I don't know how it happened. It was a really weird phenomenon. There were periods with little or no duplication, then a couple of months where I found ten copies of each message, then a few weeks with twins of each message, then the past few days singles of each message. At least so far. I'll have to see if dupes turn up for those after a few days pass.