certain websites not resolved in PaleMoon

General discussion and chat (archived)
Pluto46

certain websites not resolved in PaleMoon

Unread post by Pluto46 » 2018-04-23, 10:07

Hi,

I'm running PaleMoon Version: 25.5.0 (x86) on a computer running a recently clean installed (two days ago) Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 16299 with the latest updates. There have been a few instances where PaleMoon has failed to resolve websites completely. The first picture is of a Facebook page concerning the new privacy rules.
PaleMoon 01.jpg
The second is a screenshot taken today of a Facebook member's page.
PaleMoon 02.jpg
And this is the same page rendered in Chrome
PaleMoon 03.jpg
Other websites are affected in the same way, but I haven't taken screenshots of them. I am noticing though that images on newspaper sites (Guardian, for example) don't resolve at all, but that may have something to do with Windows 10.

I'm running AVG Internet Security, so that may also have something to do with the problems - but in that case they should also be visible in Chrome.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know.

best,
Pluto46

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: certain websites not resolved in PaleMoon

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-04-23, 10:19

Pluto46 wrote:I'm running PaleMoon Version: 25.5.0 (x86)
Just a guess, but this might be your problem. v25 is very old and is no longer supported. Try using the latest release of Pale Moon.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-23, 10:58

Facebook not rendering properly in v25.* is no real surprise.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pluto46

Unread post by Pluto46 » 2018-04-23, 22:02

Hi Moonchild and Isengrim, thanks for anwering. According to 'about Pale Moon', my version is up to date - and clicking on 'check for updates' confirms that it is. Which version were you thinking of?

Pluto46

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-23, 22:45

Are you using a 32-bit version?.(x86)
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-24, 01:03

@ Pluto46

The newest public release version for Pale Moon is 27.9.0 in both 32 and 64 bit.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-04-24, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-04-24, 02:32

Pluto46 wrote:I'm running PaleMoon Version: 25.5.0
Pluto46 wrote:According to 'about Pale Moon', my version is up to date - and clicking on 'check for updates' confirms that it is.

Would you please open about:config and filter on: app.update.never

Look for settings that say app.update.never.* (where * represents a PM version number)
For example:
app.update.never.27.9.0
app.update.never.27.8.3
app.update.never.27.7.2

If you find any such settings, right-click on each one and choose "Reset".
Then try to update.

More info in this thread.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-04-24, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-04-24, 04:11

coffeebreak wrote:
Pluto46 wrote:I'm running PaleMoon Version: 25.5.0
Pluto46 wrote:According to 'about Pale Moon', my version is up to date - and clicking on 'check for updates' confirms that it is.

Would you please open about:config and filter on: app.update.never ....
Won't work, sorry. For a version that old, the only update option is to download the latest version from the web site and install it over the old version. The internal updater no longer works on versions 26 or less according to this announcement from last October:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17097
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Pluto46

Unread post by Pluto46 » 2018-04-24, 07:20

Right, so I downloaded the 64 bit version from the website, and had a quick look at about:config, and didn't find any of the values mentioned concerning app.update.never.
Pale Moon 04.jpg
Having said that, before the computer went west, Pale Moon was updating itself every few days, or at least every week or so. I suppose this time, after recovering the computer and getting Windows 10 installed, I simply installed Pale Moon from an installer file stored in my Downloads folder, probably from last year some time.

Anyway, thanks for your help, guys. Bit of a false alarm really, since I didn't have the latest version to start with. Apologise for that.

Pluto46

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-24, 12:27

Please be aware that we have, for quite a while now, stopped serving automatic updates to any version prior to 27. This was clearly announced and is the reason why the "about" box doesn't indicate there is an update. It was born from technical issues supporting 26 and below and the assumption that "if people have ignored/declined updates for over a year already, they are clearly not interested in moving to a current version for which ever reason they may have" -- and annoying people further with update notifications would be pointless.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite