Need help to fix connection to dev1galaxy.org

General discussion and chat (archived)
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Need help to fix connection to dev1galaxy.org

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-04-22, 16:24

First, I read the sticky thread about secure connection failures and the error message I'm getting isn't addressed in that thread.

Now here's the problem. I have never had a problem connecting to the Devuan forum site (https://dev1galaxy.org/). Last night, I registered on that forum, logged in, and made my first post. After a few minutes of browsing around it, I logged out and closed the tab. After about 5 minutes I wanted to go back to it. When I tried I got this message:

Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to dev1galaxy.org.
SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.
(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

This is now happening on all three computers in the house on any browser I've tried (Pale Moon, Basilisk, Firefox ESR, and even IE). I tested the site and its security scored an A+ on the SSL labs site: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=dev1galaxy.org. I searched the web it says something about port 443, but I have no idea how to check that. It sounds like something got borked on my system, but what could have possibly happened in that 5 minutes that is causing this? Can anyone help here? I need to see if I got a response on my post on that site.

[NOTE: I put this in General discussion since it appears to be a problem with my setup and not a problem with Pale Moon.]

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I've tired all the usual fixes, I emptied the cache, cleared all cookies, and tested with a brand new profile. Not that any of this matters since it's happening on all 3 computers on any browser.
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-04-22, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Need help to fix connection to dev1galaxy.org

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-22, 16:41

"ssl_error_rx_record_too_long" usually means that the server is serving unencrypted http over https. That would be a server-side misconfiguration.

EDIT: Since they use Let's Encrypt, it's quite possible it was a temporary issue caused by LE not providing a new certificate. Since they use HSTS as well, you are always forced without option to HTTPS, and if there's a problem with that, then that means you can't visit.

I tested the site and currently see no problems.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-04-22, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-04-22, 16:48

Moonchild wrote:
I tested the site and currently see no problems.
This is weird, I still can't get in. What can I do?

EDIT: I typed telnet localhost 443 in the terminal (Linux) and got this:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

I read somewhere if port 443 is closed that I wouldn't be able to connect to any secure site, but I'm only having trouble with the devuan forum site. I don't understand any of this.
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-04-22, 16:54, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-22, 18:18

... 443 is the https port.
unless you are running an https server on your own machine, telnetting to localhost:443 will fail. That has nothing to do with being able to reach websites or not, though.

Once again I have no issues reaching the forum website. It's properly encrypted, no problems.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-04-22, 18:21

Thanks for the reply, MC. Could it be a problem with my modem or ISP? All the things I see on the net to try are mostly for the server side, not the end user.
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-04-22, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-22, 20:17

I can also get to the forum website using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-04-23, 00:59

I tried it again on my son's computer. On both Basilisk and IE I got something different. It says:

Your IP address has been tagged as dubious. If this is in error, please contact dev1galaxy forum administrators on #dig-users at freenode.

Anyone have any idea what that means? Do they mean the website's address or my Internet connection's IP address?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-04-23, 02:45

helloimustbegoing wrote:my Internet connection's IP address?
That.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-04-23, 04:31

So why do they think my IP address is dubious? And how to fix this problem?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-04-23, 20:02

Thanks everyone for your input. I went to my local library and sent a message to one of that forum's administrators. He sent an email back letting me know it should be fixed soon, and included the following:
We have aggressive spam filtering methods in place on the forum. One of them is a "snaplock" which blacklists "dubious" IP addresses. It has happened to me twice when my IP address changed due to some work on the cable.
It seems a little bit too aggressive to me. ;)
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-04-23, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-23, 20:12

What they should probably do is use some dynamically-updated blacklist service that minimizes false positives, especially for a main dev forum for a distro.

For the record, for example: We use "stop forum spam" to keep the most blatant reported bad users out, and I also have a script in place that regularly collects all TOR exist addresses and restricts certain forum features to those IP addresses (no posting, registering, etc.).