27.9.0 -Ransomware ?

General discussion and chat (archived)
peteh

27.9.0 -Ransomware ?

Unread post by peteh » 2018-04-19, 11:07

Just updated to 27.9.0 on a Win 10 PC and Trend Micro security has both blocked the .exe file and identified it as ransomware.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: 27.9.0 -Ransomware ?

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-19, 11:32

Definately a false positive.
How did you update palemoon.?
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-19, 14:16

peteh wrote:Just updated to 27.9.0 on a Win 10 PC and Trend Micro security has both blocked the .exe file and identified it as ransomware.
Have you tried disabling (turning off) Trend Micro, then installing Pale Moon 27.9.0? This is one way to get around a false positive. Then once Pale Moon is installed, re-enable Trend Micro. This should solve the problem and hopefully, TM will get it's act together concerning Pale Moon with a false positive.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

peteh

Unread post by peteh » 2018-04-19, 16:59

Moonraker wrote:Definately a false positive.
How did you update palemoon.?
Upon launching pale moon the dialog box appeared asking if I wanted to update to this version. Thanks for your input

peteh

Unread post by peteh » 2018-04-19, 17:02

Night Wing wrote:
peteh wrote:Just updated to 27.9.0 on a Win 10 PC and Trend Micro security has both blocked the .exe file and identified it as ransomware.
Have you tried disabling (turning off) Trend Micro, then installing Pale Moon 27.9.0? This is one way to get around a false positive. Then once Pale Moon is installed, re-enable Trend Micro. This should solve the problem and hopefully, TM will get it's act together concerning Pale Moon with a false positive.
TM program is prompting for a response- I can add PM to the exception list and allow it to run normally. Thanks for your input, it was a bit alarming to see that warning!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-19, 20:28

@ peteh

I use the free version of Avast AV in Windows 7. Avast will always flag Pale Moon (on all four of my computers) as a suspicious program because of the "unkown" in the prompt. I manually update Pale Moon in Windows 7 by downloading the new installer for PM to my Desktop.

With the new PM installer sitting on my Desktop, I then go into Programs & Features and manually uninstall the older version of PM. Then I turn off Avast, install the newest version of Pale Moon and then turn Avast back on by re-booting all of my computers, one at a time.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox