Do I keep flash, or should I remove it?

General discussion and chat (archived)
jb28147

Do I keep flash, or should I remove it?

Unread post by jb28147 » 2013-01-14, 10:06

I like to know if I should ever keep flash, since I kinda tired of the flash content, and always having to fight with it.

dark_moon

Re: Do I keep flash, or should I remove it?

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-01-14, 16:28

If you don't need this, can sure remove it. But the most video sites use flash, for example youtube.

Anyway you can block unwanted flash content with the addon Flashblock, or better with NoScript.

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2013-01-15, 05:13

While Youtube does use Flash, it already has a HTML5 version for the whole site: http://www.youtube.com/html5

But overall, Flash is still a major player in a lot of content types. HTML5 should be able to replace it in time, but there are still some kinks that need work, namely on the animation area.

And I definitely agree with either addon suggestions. NoScript is more comprehensive than FlashBlock, but the latter does work with minimal setting up and only loads Flash content on demand.
Portuguese translator of Pale Moon

cork1958

Unread post by cork1958 » 2013-01-15, 10:00

Flashblock all the way. NoScript is WAY to much over kill and in general a POS!!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lashblock/

Constantly going back and forth to disable the plugin as moonchild suggests is way to much of a pain. Just use Flashblock, then all you need to do is click the x in the flash that is blocked on any particular website.
Last edited by cork1958 on 2013-01-15, 10:03, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-15, 10:00

Considering Flash is a plugin, the solution can be simpler, not involving an add-on (that can have their own issues sometimes).
The Pale Moon add-on manager allows plugins to be enabled/disabled on-the-fly. You can disable it without uninstalling it, and the plugin won't load; if you encounter a page where you absolutely need it, you can flip it back on in the add-on manager and then reload the page to see the flash content - and flip it back off after you're done.

You may also want to set plugins.hide_infobar_for_missing_plugin to true to not get warned every time you navigate to a flash-enabled page ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2013-01-15, 17:50

Wait, toggling plugins doesn't require a browser restart? *self facepalm*

I do like FlashBlock for selective Flash content loading, but if having Flash fully disabled is wanted, then disabling the plugin is prefered.
Portuguese translator of Pale Moon

jb28147

Unread post by jb28147 » 2013-01-16, 08:02

The only thing I use flash for anymore is YouTube, because all the newer games on ArcadePreHacks requires 11.2+ and I only have 10.3. It seems like the flash player is crashing more often then it did before, and it doesn't help that the main page's banner is asking me to update, even though I prefer 10.3.