Pale Moon, Internet Explorer & FreeLists.org title

General discussion and chat (archived)
KNTRO

Pale Moon, Internet Explorer & FreeLists.org title

Unread post by KNTRO » 2018-04-09, 10:02

Hello all,

Since I'm not sure if this is an issue related to the website below or to Pale Moon & Internet Explorer, I decided to post this to General discussion forum.

I've noted this strange stuff when visiting the FreeList.org Web Login page with Pale Moon & Internet Explorer, but not with other web browsers.

If I visit that webpage using Mozilla Firefox, SRWare Iron, Comodo IceDragon, Microsoft Edge, Opera or even Basilisk, then I can tell that webpage has no name —its URL is displayed in the tab, or its domain in the case of Microsoft Edge. However, if I visit it using Pale Moon, then that page is titled Twitter, :? and if I visit that page with Internet Explorer, then it's titled Facebook. :eh: What's wrong here?

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Pale Moon, Internet Explorer & FreeLists.org title

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-04-09, 10:12

Website seems to be named as should be, takes me to enter login info page.
Both tab and address bar display the same result: www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi

PM 27.8.3(x64)
Win 8.1(x64)
User Agent Mode: Native

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2018-04-09, 10:30

rabnbeinn,

Thanks for your reply.

This is weird. Here's how it looks in my case:

OS: Windows 10 Home 64 bits, version 1709 (build 16299.334)
Pale Moon: 27.8.3, x64, user agent mode: Firefox compatibility
Internet Explorer: 11.334.16299.0 / 11.0.56 (KB4089187), x64

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-09, 10:38

Mine says Tumblr.. LOL.. Yeah this has very little if anything to do with Pale Moon.. Contact the website.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2018-04-09, 10:44

Tobin,

Thanks for confirming this. I'll contact the webmaster. :thumbup:

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-09, 12:15

After clicking on the link, on my desktop tower computer using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.8.3 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce, I get the FreeLists login window. Maybe the website fixed the problem after some complaints.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-09, 17:54

It doesn't have a title set in the head. As such I think it's one of their social media bootstrapping scripts that fills the alternative property/ies used for the browser to get a page title from if title elements are missing. Which gets chosen is probably a random one depending on what initializes first.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite