My recent activity/involvement

General discussion and chat (archived)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

My recent activity/involvement

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-05, 07:25

Maybe some of you (especially devs) have noticed I've not been as active as I usually am with the project these past few weeks, as well as making more than my usual share of mistakes when coding/providing support/analyzing issues. I apologize for that -- but it's not been without reason.

Aside from the obvious pressure of managing 2.5 code bases right now in our transitional phase while getting UXP ready and migration of Pale Moon to it, there's been a personal issue that's been a major preoccupation. My 10 year old dog (an impressive age for his size, to be fair) has been deteriorating rather rapidly, and will be put to sleep this next Monday. He's still a happy pup and I want to spend extra time with him while he's still around.

I'm posting this now so people can be aware why I'm not around much the coming days or next week as I say farewell to a dear friend and companion.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: My recent activity/involvement

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-04-05, 08:16

Ginger sends her regards.
Attachments
Ginger-004.jpg
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-04-07, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-04-05, 08:37

My deepest sympathies to you.
If it comes to mind (fortunately, very rarely these days) I'm still upset at losing a beautiful Alsatian dog (the biggest registered one in the UK at the time) - that was 60 years ago!

When it does come to me, I then try to remember all the fun and joy that such companion brings, especially to a child.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-05, 09:26

You have my heartfelt sympathies moonchild as i have been in your very same situation.Lost a black labrador a few years back and they are a part of the family.First time i ever saw my father shed a tear.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-05, 12:57

My wife and I can both relate especially if you've never had to put an animal to sleep before. It hurts and it hurts a lot.

My wife and I are cat people. Cats have a tendency to pick one person out in a family and that person becomes a cat's favorite person. Out first indoor house cat was a rescue female lynx point siamese which we got as a kitten. She chose my wife as her favorite person. That cat followed my wife all around the house. Wherever my wife went in the house, the cat was never far behind. But the ravages of time eventually caught up with her cat. When my wife had to put her cat to sleep, the cat had been with us for 19 years, 6 months and 6 days.

After that came a rescue totally tail less male manx breed brown tabby tiger striped indoor house cat. Without a tail, he looked like a big bobcat. This cat chose me as his favorite person. Wherever I went in the house, the cat was never far behind. But the ravages of time also caught up with my cat as well. When my cat could no longer metabolize his food, I had to make the very sad choice of putting him to sleep.

But I was different than my wife. I told my wife the last thing my cat was not going to see was the vet clinic. I called up my vet and told her the situation. She already knew my cat was in failing health from old age before this phone call and how close this cat was to me. To make a long story short, my female vet agreed to come to my home and put my beloved cat to sleep so he wouldn't have to see the vet clinic. I owed my cat this final act of love from me. My cat was my constant pet companion for 17 years, 4 months and 8 days.

BTW, we have another cat now. A rescue male tiger striped orange tabby indoor house cat who will turn 5 years old on April 9th. For the first 18 months of his life, he lived in 7' x 4' x 4' cage at a rescue place with two other cats. He was the alpha male amongst the cats too. It took me 3 years to totally gain his trust since he was and still is in some respects highly independent when he wants to be. But he likes my company and spends a lot of time being around me. My wife thinks he is making me his favorite person.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-04-05, 14:37

I feel your pain MC, they are part of the family and family comes before anything.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-04-06, 03:31

I'm very sorry to hear about your appending loss. I would be heartbroken if I lost my little Boomer.
1.jpg
2.jpg
May your last times be blessed.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-04-06, 04:04

My condololences Moonchild.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2018-04-06, 10:53

Mine too.
- - - - -

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-06, 12:38

Since folks are sharing photos, here's one of Adam.
Attachments
2018-03-28-fr.jpg
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-06, 13:10

Magnificent picture moonchild.Must love the snow which is quite common there i would imagine.Quite a rare occurence here in the uk to have snow and our pets love it when it does happen.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-04-06, 18:53

@Moonchild My condolences. I am also a huge dog lover and losing such a special friend is always horrible :(
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-04-06, 19:38

And my condolences, too. :(
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-04-06, 20:17

Below is my present pet rescue companion. My soon to be 5 year old male tiger striped orange tabby cat, Tucker. You'll have to left click on the attachment to make it larger.
Attachments
Tucker 1100.jpg
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-04-06, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-04-07, 05:39

Moonchild, Adam looks quite a hero in that picture. Sorry to hear that he is not going to be with you very soon. My deepest condolences.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-04-07, 09:14

I am very sorry ro hear this. It's always hard to see a member of the family go, no matter how many legs they have. My deepest sympathies to you, Moonchild.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-09, 10:31

As of 09:45 CEST this morning, he has peacefully gone on his final journey.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-04-09, 10:50

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-04-09, 14:40

Losing loved ones is hard. PTSD symptoms may follow - trouble to sleep, especially.

Maybe, going to a psychiatrist helps - or buying a new dog may help to cope. Trying to talk with other people is very helpful.

Dogs are the man's best friend (and better than companion of a wife/human female, I could say). It must hit you hard psychologically.

MC, I hope you'll find your peace soon.
Last edited by Latitude on 2018-04-09, 14:52, edited 4 times in total.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-04-09, 16:51

Yeah it can be very tough. I lost a beautiful black and white cat 10 years ago (passed away) and I still think about him nearly every day. We were very close. He was so intelligent and forgiving and loving. Never hurt me or scratched me (I clipped his nails regularly) and he knew that he could even just accidentally when I would hold him for his morning coffee shirtless hug. He was careful. He liked people - or some/most people. We could communicate with just looks. Amazing creatures - so calm yet always ready to do amazing things with their bodies jumping so high or moving so quickly. I don't mind thinking about him, it's not really painful, its pleasant. Though I miss him. I haven't gotten another cat yet - partly because a roommate is allergic and partly because I have a feeling my cat was one in a million and it won't be the same. But I allow that I could be wrong about that. I do visit friends who have cats so i get to hang out with them from time to time. Love dogs too and birds as well. Lately have gotten into plants. That can be fun once you learn how to water them properly and other things. Anyway, the great thing in all of this is that we get to know these animals and friends and experience the joy and love they give us and they the love we give them and we get to keep (and honor) the memory of them when they pass, as we all must do.