f-117
Moonbather
Moonbather

Windows 10 Is Forcing Users To Edge....

Unread post by f-117 » 2018-03-26, 13:30

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Windows 10 Is Forcing Users To Edge....

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-26, 15:55

Of course it is.
Nothing new either.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tbfh777

Unread post by tbfh777 » 2018-03-26, 18:13

Microsoft's marketing & software development strategies have been consistent from the beginning:

-- Arrogating to themselves the right to define 'easy-to-use'.
-- Create dependencies on de-facto Windows-only 'standards' which constantly evolve and require users to 'upgrade or die'.
-- Use the customer-base for QA, then hold them hostage for fixes after new version releases.
(Microsoft pioneered the concept that defects in newly released products were the customer's problem, not theirs, and charging them for tech-support necessary to diagnose & work-around the problems).
-- Create development tools which require developers to invest in Windows-only skills.
-- Maintain a base of 'performance anomalies' in their development tools & system libraries, while hoarding insider-only knowledge of work-arounds, thus guaranteeing competitors will remain a couple steps behind, due to the added diagnostic workload.

Case in point (circa, 1984): While working on an assembler module necessitated by the current entry level memory allotment (256K) of the IBM PC, using MASM, found I was unable to successfully assemble the code. After a couple hours trying to identify my error, I gave up, and called MS tech-support.

They tacitly insisted I go back and keep debugging. So I did. Spent the next 24hrs installing diagnostics which, ultimately, proved & identified the defect in their assembler. I sent the code, and contacted tech-support again. This time they admitted the problem was theirs. Solution? Wait for the next release of MASM. (And, a few weeks later, when that release was forthcoming, the problem had been fixed.)

This is why I am inclined to refer to Microsoft as "the most pernicious monopoly in the history of free-market capitalism". It is also why I refer to Bill Gates as "The God Father of the open-source software development industry segment."

extra_D_string
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by extra_D_string » 2018-03-27, 05:22

Still some options, fortunately. Anyone with Edge on their machine most likely is using Windows 10 (or maybe Windows 8). Google Chrome and Firefox work well on those machines (usually). As long as they are updated regularly. Pale Moon developers are working hard so the people in the middle have something that can work on their machines, for people who have less than Windows 8. This gives us more time that we can use our older computers...., until we no longer can.

If someone still has a well-working Vista o.s. machine in a couple years from now, will we also have a version of Pale Moon for it which is also the latest P.M. version for P.M. ?
Last edited by extra_D_string on 2018-03-27, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.