"Pale Moon" vs. "Mozilla Firefox" - reasons for choice in the present time.

General discussion and chat (archived)
frexd

Re: "Pale Moon" vs. "Mozilla Firefox" - reasons for choice in the present time.

Unread post by frexd » 2018-04-12, 19:43

Hello fellow Palemooniacs. I was Firefox user since first RC version back in 2004. Always liked the look and feel of old Firefox compared to later Australis version but customizations were available so I could live with it but when version 57 came out it looked like a Chrome clone, stripped from many customization options. I started looking for replacement and there it was - Palemoon. It has everything I wanted and more. Old themes, lightness, it is simply amazing. Thank you Palemoon devs for this gem. :)

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-12, 20:34

Palemoon is probably the only fully customisable browser around at the moment.The fox has become a direct clone of chrome offering next to nothing in customising options.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

frexd

Unread post by frexd » 2018-04-12, 21:49

Moonraker wrote:Palemoon is probably the only fully customisable browser around at the moment.The fox has become a direct clone of chrome offering next to nothing in customising options.
They just don't care about old users who liked Firefox for it's customizations. Even if FF was a little slower to Chrome, browser is not just speed. You were able to tinker your way with browser.

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2018-06-09, 04:23

Hi frexd ... welcome to the forum :)

older users ! ... there's bait for trolls. ;)
By 3rd millenium "standards" I am past my use-by date

I changed to Palemoon in late 2012 because I found the FFox forum a nightmare. Yes ... really :o
Creating a thread in FFox forum was a complete frustration ... all the hoops to jump through just to create a thread.
About 3 years later I discovered Mozillazine, a life saver then and now for Thunderbird

IMHO phpBB forum format was and still is far more logical. Thank you Moonchild for a very wise choice.

I am not a posts-counter ... if I cannot be constructive, I move on

Palemoon is my primary browser of choice.
  • Moonchild's vision, this forum, extensions, PM UI, search-ability, courteous admins
    Browser speed is not my yard stick, reliability is far more important + the backup of this forum.
    PM (IMHO) is not slow, nano seconds are are irrelevant in the bigger picture of life
    Over the last 3 weeks I have given PM a caning with 28 instances and about 280 tabs (all up), hibernation each night for about 3 weeks
    Two days ago Win-7 PRO (x64) crashed and took PM with it ... PM recovery list is a life saver.
    This PC is a middle-of-the-road Lenovo and is limited by its hardware, drivers, OS and system maintenance ...
2nd browser is portable FFox v54 ...
  • I use the-Fox to locate AMO extensions that might be suited to PMoon.
    One day (soon) I must get an earlier version of the-Fox, pre-Australis to look at AMO extensions.
3rd browser, when I am really desperate is IE 11 ... PMoon has spoilt me
  • several years ago Kaspersky would not recognise my geo.location for internet banking, I had to use IE to use K's banking "tool"
I fail to see the point in forensic pawing over A vs B ... at the moment Pale Moon suits my needs perfectly. :coffee:
Last edited by bawldiggle on 2018-06-09, 05:30, edited 2 times in total.
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-06-09, 07:06

280 tabs? damn, even in my tab hoarding days i only barely exceeded 100. how do you manage such a gargantuan amount of information?

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-06-09, 07:42

Glances at 410 open tabs

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-09, 08:32

The bottom line when it comes down to it is that what browser(s) you choose to use is personal.
When you deal with millions (billions?) of websites, each with their quirks, assumptions and flow, then what works best for one user may not for another -- users should realize this too.
These choices for comparable software are complex, and also extend to personal choice, level of agreement with a vendor's mission, support, preference for corporate or not, and other both objective and subjective factors.

Instead of trying to convince someone else that "browser X is better", users tempted to go on an evangelism bout should realize that it may be better for them, but not for others, and support the fact that someone else might choose differently because of one or many of the factors involved.

I re-iterate: Pale Moon is released in the hope that it is useful. We do our best to provide you with a browser that is as good as possible, taking into account our team's size, project funding, and man-hours available to pour into this. It's the case that for a number of users, what we can provide simply doesn't match what they want, and other browsers are a better choice in that case (if the "wants" are better filled by other software, that is). Because we realize this, we aren't going to go to great lengths to try and convince you to use something that might be a poor match with what you want from a browser. It's your choice, and that choice is individual.

I always suggest to simply try and see what works best for you. Don't just take what you read as gospel, but try it out -- all browsers are free, after all, and you can test them for as long or short as you want with no real strings attached (apart from maybe some data collection during your use with certain mainstream browsers).
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-06-09, 10:10, edited 2 times in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-06-09, 09:56

What works best for one person is the thing you should use. That is basically as already said the most simple and most best rule :D