"Pale Moon" vs. "Mozilla Firefox" - reasons for choice in the present time.

General discussion and chat (archived)
tbfh777

Re: "Pale Moon" vs. "Mozilla Firefox" - reasons for choice in the present time.

Unread post by tbfh777 » 2018-03-26, 19:27

I just switched to PaleMoon from Waterfox (after dumping Firefox about six-months ago), in part due to some minor concerns over "hard to explain" phenomenon using Wfox, by that I mean: things that didn't rise to the level of outright defects, but concerning just the same. Very impressed with the work Alex Kantos has done with Waterfox, and not ruling out re-examining it once his development road-map becomes a little more clear (to him, then me !;).

Main reasons I switched to Pale Moon: embracing general functional equivalence, while disconnecting from the 'Firefox' id and Mozilla codebase, an apparent commitment to stabilizing a core feature-set (based on Firefox 52 I gather), and a very well-conceived strategy for accommodating developers of Firefox add-ons. Can't emphasize enough the mature systems design wisdom this multi-level solution to a very thorny problem demonstrates. It alone should reassure add-on developers that investing in PaleMoon compatibility will be time well spent.

Although I haven't much time investigating the details of "Web Extensions", I gather the PaleMoon team has flatly rejected that development path, and I hope they stick to their guns on it.

IMHO, we are witnessing a sort of 'battle royal' between megalithic corporate players (software, telecom & hardware), each of whom is attempting to re-define their proprietary 'browser environments', 'network management practices', (or, their 'Stalinist microcode design strategies' in the case of Intel, AMD, et.al), as a means of locking in their 'ownership-share' of Internet resources, and more to the point: Internet users. It very much resembles the way as Microsoft used its de-facto standard-setting ability, and access-control over platform manufacturers, to monopolize desktop computing for over 2-decades.

Bottom-line: never in the history of the Internet have the interests and privacy rights of ordinary citizens been so threatened by "Government, Inc.", and its cronies in the hi-tech corporate sector. In my view, open-source software and open-development standards are our first and last line of defense. Which is why I'm so grateful to find a project like PaleMoon flourishing in the here and now.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-03-27, 03:35

newbie3 wrote: there is a small time lag when I browse through heavy web sites (up to 7-8 seconds, until I can scroll down the page
I usually don't have that kind of issue, if at all. And that's a major lag, if you ask me... Do you ever get a hang like that with an unresponsive-script warning?

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2018-03-27, 10:24

RJARRRPCGP, thank you for the comment.

These are the two heaviest web sites, which I browse on a daily basis - http://www.dnevnik.bg and http://www.clubz.bg. You can check by yourself how much time it will take them to load completely and to browse through them with "Pale Moon" and with other browsers. The other heavy web site is "Facebook", but the problem there is not that big. Currently I don't have any messages for unresponsive scripts (I had such an issue some time back with "Facebook", but I made a new clean profile in "Pale Moon" and now the problem is gone; I didn't have that problem with "Firefox").
Last edited by newbie3 on 2018-03-27, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-03-27, 10:49

All that modern pages like that are designed with Google Chrome in mind - Google Chrome is sadly the dominating browser today - and all other browser developers have to run constantly behind Google Chrome to be able to keep up with that madness which Chrome developers create in the first place, with dominating the web and discriminating the competition as much as possible.

Because of Google's influence - they basically control what will become new pseudo standards. And all the web's developers follow them blindly and therefor create the path for Google Chrome to dominate the web like Google wants it to be.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-03-27, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2018-03-27, 12:13

I thought the same things, Sajadi.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-03-27, 12:18

Sajadi wrote:All that modern pages like that are designed with Google Chrome in mind - Google Chrome is sadly the dominating browser today - and all other browser developers have to run constantly behind Google Chrome to be able to keep up with that madness which Chrome developers create in the first place, with dominating the web and discriminating the competition as much as possible.

Because of Google's influence - they basically control what will become new pseudo standards. And all the web's developers follow them blindly and therefor create the path for Google Chrome to dominate the web like Google wants it to be.
This goes totally against the wishes of the webs inventor,Its quite sad that the free and open web never really materialised for him and instead the big corporations have taken over and greed is the order of the day.This is one of the reasons i use and enjoy palemoon because i respect choices and not what google or others think i should be using.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-03-27, 14:20

Sajadi wrote:
Because of Google's influence - they basically control what will become new pseudo standards.
A stark reminder of Internet Explorer, back in the Internet Explorer 6 era. Pale Moon will be like Firefox 1.0, back in the Internet Explorer 6 era...

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2018-04-04, 08:33

In the past few days I'm back to "Chrome" for primary browsing. From all the three browsers I use, "Pale Moon" is the slowest, faster is "Firefox Quantum" (although with relatively slow start) and the fastest is "Chrome". There was an explanation that the difference in the speed is because of the core, but my time is limited and I can't wait minutes (summary of the day) to load sites I visit on daily basis. I'm looking forward to the improvements in "Pale Moon" on that aspect.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-04, 09:12

The 2 sitelinks you provided work well for me with no lag at all and speed has never been a problem for me whichever browser was used .

Pale moon 29.4.1

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-04-04, 09:47

newbie3 wrote:In the past few days I'm back to "Chrome" for primary browsing.
With all due respect, no one cares which browser you use - this is YOUR decision and yours alone! You have been told that Pale Moon is a customization heavy browser and that is not going to change. There will always be a difference between Pale Moon or Chrome or Firefox Quantum, as their very structure are totally different from how Pale Moon works. Pale Moon's focus is - as you can see - on features and choice and options and NOT on simplicity and speed ONLY.

Chrome and now Firefox are multi-process based, Pale Moon will not adopt something like that. So, both browsers mentioned first will always be "theoretically faster" as compared with Pale Moon.

I suggest pick the browser you like best and use that one and about your status reports about switching from this to that then towards the other one because of whatever - As said, no one cares what browser you are using, this is YOUR business only. If Pale Moon does not work for you - and it looks like that - and you prefer Chrome for raw speed, you should use that one. It is as simple as that.

No offense meant.. but this is getting tedious.. just a little bit! Pale Moon is neither Chrome or Firefox. And most of us here prefer to have features while speed is of secondary importance.

The most logical and most reasonable way is to pick a browser you want to use, be happy with your choice and move on instead of chaining yourself towards a piece of software which is the opposite of what you prefer to use.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-04-04, 10:24, edited 17 times in total.

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2018-04-04, 14:17

Moonraker, I understand. Maybe your machine is much better than mine.

I completely agree with you, Sajadi. I just found that "Pale Moon" is much better in opening multiple tabs at once than "Chrome", so I'm back to "Pale Moon" (despite the issue with the speed, which I hope to be resolved in the next updates). And that's the end from my side to this prolonged discussion.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-04, 14:23

This silly nit-picking is starting to sound like an old grannies tea convention.You seem like your lost in which browser you actually wish to use and you are taking bits and bobs out of several and then trying to mash it all together into some strange recipe.

I have tried several browsers on my computer and the speed was the same ,there was none of this A was faster than B nonsense and if people are sitting timing browsers in milleseconds then they seriously need a dose of GET A LIFE .

Over and out for now. :D

Pale moon 29.4.1

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-04-04, 18:18

Moonraker wrote:This silly nit-picking is starting to sound like an old grannies tea convention. :D
I rather would slowly say we have here a resident new troll :lol:
newbie3 wrote:I'm back to "Pale Moon"
I highly doubt that you are a fan or an actual user of Pale Moon. Proving my point again, you slowly rather sound like a troll than a legit user. This board is no play-field. Also, Pale Moon is fast enough. Ignoring all what i wrote and just replaying with the "switch back because". If you want to insist to start a flame-war, do it somewhere else.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-04-04, 18:25, edited 4 times in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-04, 18:41

I rather would slowly say we have here a resident new troll
Yes sajadi we have indeed and it would appear to be you good sir. :lol:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-04-04, 18:52

Moonraker wrote:Yes sajadi we have indeed and it would appear to be you good sir. :lol:
You do know i have not been meaning you.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-04, 19:05

Sajadi wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Yes sajadi we have indeed and it would appear to be you good sir. :lol:
You do know i have not been meaning you.
sorry you quoted me. :)

Pale moon 29.4.1

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-04-04, 19:16

Moonraker wrote:sorry you quoted me. :)
Which only was an answer to your statement towards newbie3, sorry for not making myself more clear - you are for sure no troll, let's forget that small misunderstanding - can happen ;)
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-04-04, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-04, 19:28

Sajadi wrote:
Moonraker wrote:sorry you quoted me. :)
Which only was an answer to your statement towards newbie3, sorry for not making myself more clear - you are for sure no troll, let's forget that small misunderstanding - can happen ;)
sorry sajadi,my misunderstanding,my mistake.

Pale moon 29.4.1

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2018-04-05, 11:49

This is for Sajadi, i.e. I am a real "Pale Moon" user, not a troll, and I think that every project, even "Pale Moon", needs constant improvements. Enough said.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-04-05, 12:40

newbie3 wrote:This is for Sajadi, i.e. I am a real "Pale Moon" user, not a troll, and I think that every project, even "Pale Moon", needs constant improvements. Enough said.
If you are no troll, here is my apology. Maybe i have mistaken your perhaps seen from your point of view informative writing style for some troll attempt like we had here quite some time in the past.

But you should understand that the Chrome or Firefox quantum technology is not coming over to Pale Moon - so Chrome's "massive performance" - which you seem to value so much - may not coming over to Pale Moon.

Look up for the differences between single and multi process if you want to learn more.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-04-05, 12:43, edited 3 times in total.