Ad Muncher Dev claims palemoon has defect

General discussion and chat (archived)
critter

Ad Muncher Dev claims palemoon has defect

Unread post by critter » 2012-12-31, 23:01

Ad Muncher's developer claims Palemoon and Firefox has a defect
I think it is more like he does not want to address the real problem
and want's to put the blame somewhere else
you can read about it here http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=338308

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Ad Muncher Dev claims palemoon has defect

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-01, 01:30

Thread linked to doesn't seem to mention anything?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-01-01, 02:04

Critter: Please check your links, I was about to put the spam hammer on you for the "happy 50% off discount links". But yes, in page 2, post 45 & 48; page 3 post 64 & 66 there are a comment about this.

critter

Unread post by critter » 2013-01-01, 03:46

Spam was not intended, I knew there were several post and didn't want
to post a bunch of links and thought it would be better to read the complete
posting to get the whole idea what was going on, there is more there than the places you mentioned

critter

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-01, 11:48

Reading into the thread filtering out the crap about 32-bit and 64-bit and the fact that the people there seem to think that "Pale Moon is an unpatched Firefox 15" (which I must clearly state here it is not - check the release notes for the list of critical security patches implemented!!) the issue seems to be that the status bar in Pale Moon displays a connection to the admuncher server. This is not a bug in Pale Moon or the status bar code, since the "background network traffic" is properly displayed and will switch to "done" if the connection is actually closed.

It is a defect in ad muncher that one of their http connections remains open and as such Pale Moon will display it in the status bar. If their software would properly close all connections to their checking server, Pale Moon would display "done" in the status bar.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

critter

Unread post by critter » 2013-01-01, 13:31

Thank you for conforming this, by a process of elimination I knew this
not to be a problem in Palemoon but in Ad Muncher itself, I am a long time
user of both of them, well now I'm a long time user of just one of them
unless he actually decides to fix the problem :thumbup:

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-01-01, 13:35

Just curious - since Ad Muncher is a "paid for" app, and I seem to achieve the same using Adblock Plus, etc, I wondered what the particular attraction/USP of Ad Muncher is/was anyway? :?

EDIT: @critter: Glad to see you put Moonchild's reply up on that Wilder's Security Forum thread: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthre ... 308&page=4 (Critter2's post #98 is right at bottom of page 4). That ill-informed "Pale Moon is an unpatched Firefox 15" comment needed to be scotched for a start! :thumbup:
Also "BZ" to lobocursor for persevering with reading that thread to find the relevant post #45. :thumbup: I had nearly reported it as Spam earlier on - I'm afraid I lost the will to live + tl;dr had set in about halfway down page 1. :lol:
Last edited by Blacklab on 2013-01-01, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2013-01-01, 13:50

It is heck expensive as well, seems to me a lot to pay for the few ads that AdBlock plus may miss. :shock:

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-01-02, 00:04

Another trend is many sites are merging their functionality and ad scripts. Plentyofcolddeadfish.com is one of the worst for that. Not only do they sneak the ads back on but most of them are for outright fraudulent sites. One option is to quit going to sites that engage in that behavior but a fun option is to run the combination of add-ons is HackTheWeb and Stylish. With that you can essentially custom edit pages and any annoying ads that make it through can easily be edited out.

I no longer run any direct ad-blocker and instead use add-ons like NoScript, Ghostery, Request Policy to squelch the ads- unless for some reason I want to allow some. For the few that sneak in using the merged scripts you can have a jolly good time removing whatever you don't like from the page using HTW and saving the changes to Stylish. :thumbup:

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-01-02, 03:05

critter wrote:Spam was not intended, I knew there were several post and didn't want
to post a bunch of links..
In the past I did just shoot and later ask. So I checked the site first for check your version, just next time quote some text of the other forum here so no one can miss your posts as spam. As I was not the only that had that idea. ;)

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-01-02, 03:06

Blacklab wrote:Also "BZ" to lobocursor for persevering with reading that thread to find the relevant post #45. :thumbup: I had nearly reported it as Spam earlier on - I'm afraid I lost the will to live + tl;dr had set in about halfway down page 1. :lol:
Hehe I just want to remove the "Rüde Admin" name that I had in the past. New Year Resolution I guess. ;)

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2013-01-11, 20:28

Blacklab wrote:Just curious - since Ad Muncher is a "paid for" app, and I seem to achieve the same using Adblock Plus, etc, I wondered what the particular attraction/USP of Ad Muncher is/was anyway? :?
It also blocks banners from ad-ware and so on. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-12, 10:16

tuxman wrote:
Blacklab wrote:Just curious - since Ad Muncher is a "paid for" app, and I seem to achieve the same using Adblock Plus, etc, I wondered what the particular attraction/USP of Ad Muncher is/was anyway? :?
It also blocks banners from ad-ware and so on. :)
So it makes a lot of hosts file entries, most likely ;)

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2013-01-12, 18:03

No, it works as a transparent proxy. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-12, 22:14

tuxman wrote:No, it works as a transparent proxy. :)
Ah, like the old AtGuard blocker then. Nice. Tricky to get right, though, and may not work for all software.

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2013-01-12, 22:29

AtGuard?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-12, 22:51

http://lotstoread.tripod.com/faqs/atguard.html
http://www.cryogenius.com/atguard/

Originally made by WRQ, subsequently absorbed by Symantec - Norton Firewall used to be based on this engine (not sure if it still is, I doubt it, since it wasn't written by them and wasn't Vista+ compatible).

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2013-01-12, 22:57

Never heard, never used. Thanks. ;)