I found Pale Moon hard to find

General discussion and chat (archived)
Vetch

I found Pale Moon hard to find

Unread post by Vetch » 2018-02-10, 16:04

Looking at the PM survey I'd rate myself as "good understanding of computers in general use" (though I do use "many different programs" and "more than one OS").
Anyway, years ago I used to love FF. That love dwindled and turned to hate with the latest update that got me Quantum. I searched the web and Synaptic for an alternative and didn't find anything that I wanted to use. Chromium was even worse, and the names of the others I've tried I've already forgotten. Pale Moon was not among them. Why not?!?

I finally found PM when I managed to get an older FF and began to install (via the Mozilla add-ons-site) the extensions Quantum doesn't let me use. Several developers of those add-ons are very clear about Quantum, they hate it as much or much more than I do. They all mentioned PM; some link to it.
Thanks to them: for their work, for keeping the spirit that converted me to Linux and Firefox long ago, and here & now most of all thanks for leading me here. I have installed PM yesterday and I love it. I mentioned it in my (not really famous) blog and have already inspired at least two people to try it. Folks who hate FF, yearn for an alternative and who didn't know, like me, about Pale Moon.

If I had known about it I would have installed it years ago.

So, maybe me and the folks who read my blog are really bad at searching the web. Or not...
Me, I will recommend PM to every- and anyone from now on.

Thank you, Moonchild and Team and Community!

Very happy,

Vetch
Last edited by Vetch on 2018-02-10, 17:50, edited 2 times in total.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: I found Pale Moon hard to find

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-02-10, 17:46

I also did not discover Pale Moon until much after I would have loved to switch to it. The removal of Tab Groups in Firefox 45 kind of pissed me off, but at least there was an add-on to bring them back. Then Mozilla announced the removal of add-ons... I switched to Opera I suppose about a year ago, because I saw no reason to stay with Firefox and Opera was fast and had a nice UI. In early September, I stumbled upon Pale Moon—I don't really remember how I found it, but I am so glad that I did.

Vetch

Unread post by Vetch » 2018-02-10, 17:49

Thänks a lot; as I wrote I didn't find any of those sites before, and perhaps, as I wrote, I was just too stupid. Be that as it may, now I don't need them anymore - as no one who visits this board will. But thanks. :mrgreen:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-02-13, 00:39

Hard to find?
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoonsp&q=pale+moon+browser&ia=web

And if you didn't know about the name, then going through a few websites listing "alternative web browsers" will undoubtedly have you end up with several mentions of Pale Moon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Rising Soul
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Rising Soul » 2018-02-13, 01:56

I just made an account on AlternativeTo, just so I could upvote Pale Moon. :lol:

I can't remember where I originally found it. I think it was after multiple mentions of it by other people that I checked it out, after the Opera people abandoned the original Opera vision in favour of making another Chrome clone.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-02-13, 12:13

You didn't find Palemoon hard to find at all, you just had no need of it, you had firefox and it worked well - so you weren't searching...

If you were searching for "alternatives to firefox" on Google and you found it hard to navigate the results, or if you were looking for help on billboards, the backs of cigarette packets, television, the classified pages of the Daily Telegraph or the home page of your daughter's ipad then you were probably doing the wrong sort of searching.

Look in the right place - type in the right thing - review the results - analyse and make a decision. These are the useful methods for finding things (these might also be useful in other situations so I'd take note of them if I were you).

:D
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

mrmivo

Unread post by mrmivo » 2018-02-13, 21:07

I learned about Firefox in a news article's comments about Opera having bought by a Chinese company. Someone had recommended it there. :)

Nothingness

Unread post by Nothingness » 2018-03-23, 10:07

I'm a big Opera fan. I used Opera for 12 years at least, the free version. Opera created so many features for web browers and had so many options I was dazzled. Well, up until version 12.17, after they left their engine behind and became a Google Chrome's clone, and I just can't stand Chrome so... I abandonned Opera too and went looking for a new browser.

I know Firefox's existence obviously, since I also checked it when I was looking for a browser. I had all browsers, IE, Opera and Firefox, it was necessary since some webpages in Opera would not load or would badly load so I'd try them in FF and IE when that happened.

So I went looking for a new browser, and I have to admit I don't know what happened but Firefox's interface changed into a ribbon-like interface and the menu at the top dissapeared. I don't like their new look, it looks like Chrome but with options.

Anyway, after checking out browers I found Pale Moon. One reason I noticed the browser is the name because I love the moon and the night sky. So after trying Pale Moon I just love it, that and the "old" Firefox look. I saved all my Opera bookmarks and imported them in Pale Moon. Now I hope Pale Moon will keep getting support and new versions. I've been using Pale Moon for 4-5 years now and I'm really happy.

The only downside is that I cannot use the full web version of Discord, the audio listen/mike talking part. I play MMORPGs so guilds use Discord for chatting, and the audio & voice for raids and dungeons. So being able to hear directives and us responding is necessary to do hard contents. When I got my new computer last year Discord kept on crashing so I could not use the app, but had to use the web version, which I was grateful for, but it seems to only fully work in Google Chrome, so I had to use Chrome for a while while gaming. Well, Discord has stopped crashing so I'm back using it and I've stopped using Chrome for the web version.

extra_D_string
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by extra_D_string » 2018-03-24, 03:43

I can't remember for certain how I found P.M. I DID make a few searches for alternate browsers through search engines (google) and on YouTube. No doubt, the 'alternativeto' site came up more than once. YouTube also hosted a small number of presentations for Pale Moon.

I really did like Firefox when I first used it in Windows XP and Vista. That was several years ago. I found back then that P M was good but I liked Firefox better. No More. Now, on Windows Vista, current Firefox ESR v52 is slow compared to Pale Moon 28.x; and I have set Pale Moon as the default browser on my Vista machine.

Pale Moon is easy enough to find just doing a search for alternatives for Firefox through a search engine.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-03-24, 12:14

Back in the year 2011, while doing research on YouTube for browsers, this is where I found windows Pale Moon. After looking at a video or two of it in action; I downloaded it, installed it, took PM for a test drive for a week's time, liked it a lot and kept it. If my memory serves me correctly, back then I started with 32 bit windows Pale Moon 4.0 running in 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1.

Since I now use 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylivia) as my default OS, linux Pale Moon was released to the public in January of 2014 and I use 64 bit linux Pale Moon in Mint.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2018-04-20, 14:17

erm 'pale moon' is 'hard to find' on this forum!! It occurs too frequently, so the search gives up!!! :cry: :roll: (i got by 'pale moon survey' )
can you at least show the first 3 results??

the other problem with being hard to find for 'newbies' is that it may be hard to see among all the ff and chrm ads... :o :o

the next point is old installs of FF now work better due lack of interference at mozilla , or whatever.. and even 'work better' than PM.. so please pay attention to those who may give up on PM :):)
Last edited by illiad on 2018-04-20, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-04-20, 18:32

illiad wrote: the next point is old installs of FF now work better due lack of interference at mozilla , or whatever.. and even 'work better' than PM.. so please pay attention to those who may give up on PM :):)
Forgetting the fact that they are outdated security wise and missing some of the newer implementations on the web, sure. :crazy:

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2018-05-10, 18:53

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
illiad wrote: the next point is old installs of FF now work better due lack of interference at mozilla , or whatever.. and even 'work better' than PM.. so please pay attention to those who may give up on PM :):)
Forgetting the fact that they are outdated security wise and missing some of the newer implementations on the web, sure. :crazy:
sorry, but I have *plenty* of security provided by AV, malware tools, etc, etc, I just want PM to work better than FF does!! NOTE I dont use FF due to it being V E R Y S L O W to work!! :)

eg..
me to webdev: why does you site not work??

webdev to me: it works fine here in IE chrome, firefox...
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P