Main adventages of Pale Moon

General discussion and chat (archived)
JackBlack

Main adventages of Pale Moon

Unread post by JackBlack » 2018-01-24, 10:26

Hi guys, I am new to this forum, and now I am searching for the new browser because I am already sick of Chrome, so can u please long story short tell me main advantages of Pale Moon. thanks in advance.
P.S. can I somehow connect all my passwords from Chrome to Pale Moon?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Main adventages of Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-01-24, 13:56

In terms of general browsing chrome does not bring anything new to the table.sure its fast but thats all it has going for it..of course google is up there hand in hand with the NSA so your information may not be safe.
I could go on but the information is there.
Posterity is a good thing and i love palemoon because it retains the firefox look i fondly remember from years ago.
At the end of the day a browser is just a vehicle on the web,a navigator of webpages and some like the best selling model while others like me prefer customisation which chrome does NOT offer.
Palemoon gives you complete themes wheras chrome and now firefox do not.

Its really a no brainer in my mind and fully customised browsers are becoming a rarity. :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-01-24, 15:25

Privacy.
Security.
Control.

vs

None of the above, In fact, the exact opposite of the above.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-01-24, 15:36

JackBlack, why are you sick of Chrome? Answering that question would let us know if Pale Moon would fit your bill.
Anyway, I'd say you just give it a spin and see if it matches your expectations. You might see a few rough edges here and there, and new and super-shiny websites may not work as expected, but other than that it'll get the job done.

TwoTankAmin, don't forget the super helpful community. BTW, does Chrome even has a community?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-01-24, 16:04

TwoTankAmin wrote:Privacy.
Security.
Control.

vs

None of the above, In fact, the exact opposite of the above.
well chrome/chromium does tout security in regard to sandboxing and safe browsing.

Pale moon 29.4.1

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-01-24, 16:44

Yup, security, privacy, speed, totally customisable and not to mention a damn good bunch of tech heads keeping everything in order. I've been using PM since 2011 and I've never had a serious issue, it just keeps getting better and betterer and bettererer. :thumbup:

mrmivo

Unread post by mrmivo » 2018-01-25, 13:49

Control is the main reason why I'm fond of Pale Moon. If you monitor incoming and outgoing traffic in Chrome (and to a lesser degree in Firefox), and compare it to Pale Moon, or look at what domains these mystery connections go to, you'll be astonished. There is just a lot more transparency with Pale Moon and it is extremely well behaved and doesn't go behind your back. It comes at a (small) price, like occasional incompatibilities, which are almost always the fault of site operators, not the browser, and a smaller selection of add-ons, although I am not missing anything personally, but I feel in very good paws with Pale Moon.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-01-26, 03:34

Because Moonchild and Team actually care about privacy, and having a awesome browser the way we all had
before FF nose dived into the google clone abyss. ;)

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-01-26, 05:07

As well as what others have said (privacy, helpful devs and community, complete themes (it is possible to tweak in any way or completely replace the icons and styling of the whole browser UI, which is super cool)), a major thing that Pale Moon has going for it is support for XUL extensions. There's the Pale Moon add-ons page, a medium-sized selection containing many super-cool add-ons, plus many thousands of compatible Firefox add-ons from addons.mozilla.org (although Mozilla is doing their best to ensure that won't last for too much longer). I have 22 extensions activated at the moment, among them Tab Groups (which I consider essential), Imagus (expands images on hover), and ChatZilla (IRC client).

As has been said, the biggest drawback to Pale Moon is probably the occasional page that refuses to load right, either because it detects that it's not a mainstream browser, or (more rarely) because they're using something that hasn't been implemented in Pale Moon (yet) (generally due to developer manpower limitations).

I have tried many browsers, and come to the conclusion that Pale Moon is the best one out there. I hope you find what you're looking for! :)

dudewithit

Unread post by dudewithit » 2018-01-26, 06:06

JackBlack wrote:Hi guys, I am new to this forum, and now I am searching for the new browser because I am already sick of Chrome, so can u please long story short tell me main advantages of Pale Moon. thanks in advance.
If you are worried about privacy, use Chromium. It has all the goodness of Chrome, with none of the tracking and data collection
Or you can try the latest Firefox 58.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-01-26, 09:59

dudewithit wrote:
JackBlack wrote:Hi guys, I am new to this forum, and now I am searching for the new browser because I am already sick of Chrome, so can u please long story short tell me main advantages of Pale Moon. thanks in advance.
If you are worried about privacy, use Chromium. It has all the goodness of Chrome, with none of the tracking and data collection
Or you can try the latest Firefox 58.
Not very good advice.
Chromium will still track you and it connects to google servers just like chrome.
Firefox 58 also contains telemetry and tracking,

Really all chrome is,is chromium with some google propriety stuff added.

Pale moon 29.4.1

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-01-26, 13:37

Chrome has so-so few options, although chrome are most compatible with web, even if to skip its security and privacy holes, there is Srware Iron based on chrome and does not leaks to google.

Pale Moon is like older Firefox, has sane user interface on desktop, compared with irrelevant insanity with touchscreen have new browsers, has enough options for customize, and many many extensions, also the best browser for old low end pc.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-01-26, 13:59

Fedor2 wrote:Chrome has so-so few options, although chrome are most compatible with web, even if to skip its security and privacy holes, there is Srware Iron based on chrome and does not leaks to google.

Pale Moon is like older Firefox, has sane user interface on desktop, compared with irrelevant insanity with touchscreen have new browsers, has enough options for customize, and many many extensions, also the best browser for old low end pc.
Incorrect.
ALL chromium variants connect to google,"clients2google","clients4google" are 2 connections made when they start.
SRware iron is pointless and you may as well use chromium.

Pale moon 29.4.1

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-01-28, 14:39

Some things I like about Pale Moon:

1. It is fast and snappy. It loads my homepage from closed to open in about 2.5 seconds. So called "fast" browsers FF 58 takes 4 seconds and Chrome does it in 3.25. It generally keeps that speed ratio on various sites traveling around in my experience. This with all having the same extension. So for me, it is the fastest browser overall.

2. Settings and customization options. To see an example of this, compare the options to configure the status bar of Pale Moon with those available for FF 58 or Chrome.

3. Add-ons. Some add-ons that no longer can work with FF may still work with PM. This in addition to the add-ons made specifically for PM. So it has some versatility with this.

4. It has a great community, with smart and knowledable developers and lots of transparency. You can learn a lot about the inner workings of browsers, the internet and related stuff just by reading the forum.

5. It has the best name of any browser.

That said, I still use other browsers since I like to have options and I like to be familiar with them but the best of them imo is Pale Moon.

travolta133

Unread post by travolta133 » 2018-02-06, 15:32

One of the great advantages of using PM is it's smooth operation. You would hardly face any "browser crashed" problem like in Firefox. Another thing is that it supports many of the Firefox extensions. It provides a committing alternative to FF.

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by palem » 2018-02-08, 21:04

Hi all,
(as it is my first post here ;) ).

For me main advantages of Pale Moon are:
- low memory consumption,
- good speed (comparable to other top browsers),
- stability and security of browser,
- more and more add-ons.