Site won't come up

General discussion and chat (archived)
danbcooley

Site won't come up

Unread post by danbcooley » 2018-01-22, 01:32

Help! The following site is displayed on Firefox v52 and Google Chrome but will NOT display on Pale Moon SAFE MODE or otherwise.

https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Site won't come up

Unread post by van p » 2018-01-22, 03:12

Works for me...
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

danbcooley

Unread post by danbcooley » 2018-01-22, 03:16

Ah van p. I didn't post to find out how that site works for YOU. I know it works for YOU. It is me and my Pale Moon browser in which that site won't come up. You should refrain from making ridiculous replies.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-22, 03:41

It also works for me on Unstable 20180120.

Getting confirmation is a helpful thing actually.. Additionally, it's MY job to be the abrasive ass on this forum and I'll thank you to refrain from pretending to be me.

Anyway, do you use any content blockers? Anything more you can offer than a crude impersonation?
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-22, 03:44, edited 3 times in total.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2018-01-22, 04:31

danbcooley wrote:Ah van p. I didn't post to find out how that site works for YOU. I know it works for YOU. It is me and my Pale Moon browser in which that site won't come up. You should refrain from making ridiculous replies.
(I'll try to be generous here.) The point is nobody knows for whom something does/doesn't work until others test the issue and weigh in. (I might actually be proud of myself here.)
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-22, 14:11

I've verified the side loads (albeit slowly) in v27.7.1-x86 without any issues (well, it complains about needing an account, but otherwise it's fine).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-01-22, 14:18

""works for me"
these are totally useless replies and should be filtered out.How on earth does "it works for me" help the OP exactly.? :twisted:
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-22, 14:41

Moonraker wrote:""works for me"
these are totally useless replies and should be filtered out.How on earth does "it works for me" help the OP exactly.? :twisted:
Sorry, what?
"works for me" helps by at least verifying it's not a universal problem with the browser, and one needs to look at their setup to see what causes the issue.
If you're going to complain about that then also complain about "I can confirm it doesn't work" replies that are just as useful in the same way by ruling out potential causes.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-01-22, 18:02

Works for me too (PM v27.7.1,x64), but seems to hang a while at these warnings:
calling a builtin ArrayBuffer constructor without new is deprecated and will be forbidden in ES6
calling a builtin typed array constructor without new is deprecated and will be forbidden in ES6

danbcooley

Unread post by danbcooley » 2018-01-22, 20:24

This has to be the stupidest forum I've ever had the displeasure of querying. :crazy:

I figured out the answer. Pay attention you "works-for-me" guys:

The window actually has something there, a few lines of code but nothing is displayed.
Right click on the window and select <View Page Info>
Select <Permissions>
Uncheck the following boxes that say <Use default> and check <Allow>
  • Load images
    Open popup windows
    Set cookies

Go to Activate plugins uncheck <Use default> and <ALLOW > the following
  • Adobe Flash
    Java
Important, set all the rest of these plugins to <Block>

That's it: Works for me :lol:

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-01-22, 21:08

You :

Load images
Open popup windows
Set cookies

Go to Activate plugins uncheck <Use default> and <ALLOW > the following

Adobe Flash
Java

Important, set all the rest of these plugins to <Block>

Me :
Load images : allow
Open popup windows : block
Set cookies : allow for session

Adobe Flash : disabled
Java : disabled

Works for me ;)

Stupidest forum ? :?

Obviously, PM is not the problem.
Last edited by Nightbird on 2018-01-22, 21:18, edited 3 times in total.
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

danbcooley

Unread post by danbcooley » 2018-01-22, 21:50

Thank you Nightbird. I have suspected as much. I think it is probably because I'm still running Windows Vista on my PC. There seems to less of a problem on Win7 and Win10.

I decided to stop using Firefox because there were unexplained freezes on some websites (probably Flash). I went to Pale Moon and it has been working a lot better. However, the same freezes occur occasionally on Pale Moon. It can be as long as 41 sec and I mean the entire PC is frozen for that period of time. It is writing to cache and when it unfreezes it never happens again. Well, I use CCleaner to wipe out caches at the end of the day so next day, the freeze occurs again, same story.

Do you have any idea what could cause this in Vista but not 7?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-24, 15:57

Load images
Open popup windows
Set cookies
If this fixes it for you then you have:
  • globally blocked images
  • globally blocked cookies
Neither of which are Pale Moon defaults -- so either you've specifically set these preferences to values that break this site, or you've followed (bad) advice from others to do this, or one of your extensions has changed these values. The "works for me" guys obviously haven't made these changes and are using Pale Moon as-recommended.

I strongly suggest you restart Pale Moon in Safe Mode (it's in the help menu) and in the safe mode window that comes up then, select "reset all preferences to Pale moon defaults" and then choose "make changes and restart". This will prevent you from running into the same issues again on other sites.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-01-24, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

danbcooley

Unread post by danbcooley » 2018-01-25, 03:17

Good god Moonchild :shock: . You quoted MY posting. :?:

I've already done that and it allowed me to reach the site I had trouble with. I have no global blocking of anything. :thumbdown: