Ex NSA Speaks about Meltdown and Specter

General discussion and chat (archived)
Thehandyman1957

Ex NSA Speaks about Meltdown and Specter

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-01-19, 01:28

I believe there is something to this, as I did a bunch of research on AMD chips after this came out and found out myself that anything
"PSP" on the AMD chips was 2015 and newer when they did their "type" of PSP but even then, you could only hack it if you had physical access
to the computer which makes "Specter" a non issue because if they have physical control of your machine it's not going to matter much
unless it is encrypted with your own encryption anyway.

Before AMD put their own type of PSP on their chips there was no way you could do what is being shown on Intel's chips
And keep in mind, Intel chips can be hacked from anywhere.

And here it is from the horses mouth.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/11/1688 ... ryzen-epyc
AMD’s initial response to the Meltdown and Spectre CPU flaws made it clear “there is a near zero risk to AMD processors.
So ask yourself, why isn't this being spoke of on any main stream channels? Why is it that no one is really talking about this, and
how you could just simply dump your Intel chip and board and buy an older AMD or heck, even any AMD and be perfectly fine?

I personally have known for awhile now the the remote management system on Intel's chips were 3G capable and were a huge back door
but I'm not sure how many others have any idea what's really going on so I thought I would share this.

Also, the reason this is a ip address instead of a name is because they blackball him with DNS look ups so he had to have a way
to get folks to his site without the censors.

Just a caveat, No, I don't believe everything on this guys site as anyone can be wrong about things and I don't always agree with his way of
speaking but if you were to take some time and read and understand his history it would be a little more understandable.

Jim Stone
http://82.221.129.208/.zk1.html
BUSTED: RECENT INTEL PROCESSOR (MELTDOWN) SCANDAL INVOLVES INTEL PROCESSORS ONLY, THEY ARE TRYING TO DRAG AMD AND ARM INTO THIS, DON'T BUY THE B.S.
Spectre is such a small problem I would not worry about it on an AMD or ARM platform. I would worry about it on an Intel platform though.

They released to the public a lie to cover for the fact that Intel's Vpro core was an intentional back door for the NSA. The memory vulnerability, (if it exists at all) is a sideshow, and ARM and AMD were back stabbed with claims they had the same problems just to either help Intel, or cover for the fact that the vulnerability was intrinsic to hardware, and specifically the separate Vpro processor that was onboard every Intel chip from Sandy Bridge forward. If you want to be realistc about things, the Spectre bug is simply a no show on AMD and ARM, because it is simply too hard to do to them for it to mean anything, and AMD and ARM are not affected by the Meltdown bug AT ALL.

In 2011 I outlined the problem in a report titled "Is Intel's Sandy Bridge on a road to nowhere?" I pointed out the problem - a second on chip processor that was always on, even when the power was turned off, and this processor could clandestinely switch on any part of the computer when it received a remote command. Intel marketed this as "making the administrator's job easier" because an administrator could install updates and get data while all employees were at home asleep, and everyone would simply arrive to work the next day with everything updated because even if their power was turned off, their computers could receive updates anyway.

PROBLEM: All encryption keys any system had were held on this second processor, which was not adequately secured AT ALL from the outside world. It allowed a total highway into anyone's system, and I said at that time that the only real reason why this would be done would be to allow intelligence agencies access whenever they wanted, - access no one could stop because the encryption keys were right there for the intelligence agencies to use. Sandy Bridge, and all processors forward,A TOTAL OF 1,487 different models of Intel chips had this right up to every Intel chip made today.

So everything was fine and dandy, as long as only a few ex NSA people who could be acceptably contained tried to spread the word on sites like this one and no one got the NSA tools that are used to access these processors. After all, if it was only me blowing the whistle in 2011, they could just blow it off. PROBLEM: About 8 months ago, someone inside the NSA released all these tools to the public in a "wiki" type release, and now, 8 months later hacker Joe is playing NSA and the NSA simply does not want that. This is the ONLY REASON, AND I MEAN ONLY reason why the "bug" was "mysteriously found" by some hoax fraud jackass who "read thousands and thousands of pages of Intel processor manuals, and found it". YEAH RIGHT, BULLSHIT.

So I knew, from early 2011, that everything from now on had to be AMD. HERE IS PROOF, STATED BY THE MSM 6 YEARS LATER THAN I SAID IT:

"For the past seven years, millions of Intel chips have harbored a security flaw that can be potentially exploited to remotely control and infect systems with spyware.

Specifically, the bug is in Intel's Active Management Technology (AMT), Standard Manageability (ISM) and Small Business Technology (SBT) firmware versions 6 to 11.6. According to Chipzilla, the security hole allows "an unprivileged attacker to gain control of the manageability features provided by these products."

That means it is possible for hackers to log into a vulnerable computer's hardware - right under the nose of the operating system - and silently tamper with the machine, install virtually undetectable malware, and so on, using AMT's features. This is potentially possible across the network because AMT has direct access to the computer's network hardware.

These insecure management features have been available in various, but not all, Intel chipsets for nearly a decade, starting with 2010's Intel Q57 (sandy bridge) family, all the way up to this year's Kaby Lake Core parts. - My insert: Correction: It started with Centrino, long before this but Centrino was not a common platform. - Crucially, the vulnerability lies at the very heart of a machine's silicon, out of sight of the operating system, its applications and any antivirus.

The programming blunder can only be fully addressed with a firmware-level update, and it is present in millions of chips. It is effectively a backdoor into computers all over the world.

The vulnerable AMT service is part of Intel's vPro suite of processor features. If vPro is present and enabled on a system, and AMT is provisioned, unauthenticated miscreants on your network can access the computer's AMT controls and hijack them. If AMT isn't provisioned, a logged-in user can still potentially exploit the bug to gain admin-level powers. If you don't have vPro or AMT present at all, you are in the clear.

Six years after I said it, it made it into the MSM Many times I got into arguments with Intel fans, who were thrilled about the passmark scores on their Intel processors, and said AMD just can't stack up to Intel because "equivalent" AMD processors were 10 - 15 percent slower. I always said it was their loss, because they were hacked full time. AND NOW I GET THE FINAL TAUNT:

HEY INTEL LACKEYS WHO WERE SO SMART, IT SEEMS INTEL IS ALL FULL OF HOLES. HOW ARE YOUR PASSMARK SCORES LOOKING NOW THAT THE FIX FOR VULNERABILITIES I WARNED YOU ABOUT IS EATING MORE CPU THAN ANY ADVANTAGE YOU PREVIOUSLY HAD WITH INTEL? HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT HAVING EVERYTHING RAPED SINCE 2011 ALL THE WHILE I WAS AN IDIOT "CONSPIRACY THEORIST"?

The problem is SO BAD Intel is recommending people shitcan any processor they bought in 2016 or earlier because the fix will destroy performance so badly.

HEY ALL YOU BACK STABBERS OUT THERE WHO HAVE TRIED TO DESTROY THIS WEB SITE: HOW THE * DID I KNOW INTEL HAD THIS PROBLEM IF I WAS NOT NSA? I was always a step ahead of Snowden, and now proof has come out that I smoked him like a pack of Marlboros. I gotta say, I am not disappointed. Intel knowingly cooperated with the NSA on purpose to rape everyone and for that Intel deserves to die.

The current description for the problem is a lie. All you have to do to know it is see what processor series are "most affected". They are: EVERYTHING SANDY BRIDGE FORWARD, PLUS CENTRINO (not mentioned by anyone) BECAUSE THAT IS WHEN THE BUGS WENT IN. CENTRINO WAS DESIGNED IN ISRAEL, AND WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE END FOR INTEL. (At the time Centrino came out, not all Intel processors were bugged like this, only Centrino was. Sandy bridge was the turning point.) ALL PROCESSORS SANDY BRIDGE FORWARD GOT AN ENHANCED VERSION OF THE CENTRINO HACK. That's where the root of the problem is, but with anything Sandy Bridge and later, the problem got a heck of a lot worse.
Yeah, yeah, I know about the so-called "memory vulnerability". That's just cover for the real problem. The series of processors involved proves it. Sandy Bridge. Ivy bridge. Sky Lake. Kaby Lake. DING DING DING DING DING. NAILED IT. If you have an old Intel in the closet that is prior to Centrino, IT IS NOT HACKED THE WAY THEY SAY, THEY JUST WANT YOU TO GET RID OF ANYTHING THAT IS NOT A PLAYGROUND FOR THEM, DO NOT THROW IT AWAY, DO NOT EAT THE BULLSHIT.

Final comments on this topic:
Don't expect links to sources when I was the original whistle blower on this problem. When I was the first to say anything on this topic. And when I am now proven right. They are not being honest about what the real problem is right now, but that matters not, it suffices to know that as I stated, Intel processors are the BIG problem. Arm and AMD basically have nothing wrong with them and were dragged into this for the sole purpose of bullshitting the public about what the real problem is. If ARM and AMD had similar problems, the fix would hit them with a 50 percent processor downgrade. It has not. There are NO ISSUES AT ALL WITH THEM, which means THEY DID NOT HAVE THE PROBLEM. That alone proves my point.

AND HERE'S THE BIG CLOSING COMMENT: DEAR JEWISH COMMUNITY: HOW'S IT WORKING OUT FOR YOU, HAVING DESTROYED THE AMERICAN PUBLIC SO BADLY, AND DESTROYING NATIONALISM SO BADLY, AND DESTROYING LOYALTY SO BADLY THAT YOU CAN'T RUN AN INTELLIGENCE AGENCY WITH AMERICANS ANYMORE WITHOUT THEM BLOWING YOUR F***ED UP SECRETS TO HELL? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!
Intel ALWAYS did the branch predictions, even with the original Pentiums. Their processors were NEVER A PROBLEM until Centrino, the stated "problem" for public consumption is BULLSHIT.

FOR THE RECORD, HERE IS THE PROBLEM:

HOW OLD IS THIS PYRAMID? WHEN DID I DO THIS GRAPHIC? 2013? This alone is proof I had this nailed long ago.

FOR THE FINAL RECORD: If you followed my advice and bought AMD, do nothing at all to patch your system. Yes, technically with ONE (1) version of the Spectre bug you might have a hacker get access to one small piece of data once in a blue moon, but the amount of time and effort it would take to accomplish it is not worth mentioning. Both AMD and ARM are safe, and were dragged into this to take the heat off the NSA and Intel.
I will happily install zero (0) ZERO updates on anything I have because it is all AMD anyway. If AMD cooperated with the NSA, we have not heard about their bug yet.

And now it is time for a recap. Here is one of my reports about hackable Intel CPU's, from 2013.
I got ridiculed for this report, only to be vindicated much much later by the MSM (see the Register report above) That's what happens when what you say is so far ahead of the curve it is a total blindside.
New Intel Chips Contain Back-Door Processor, Hackable Even When Computer is Turned Off

Jim Stone, Sep 19, 2013

New Intel-Based PC's Permanently Hackable

So you think no one can access your data because your computer is turned off. Heck it's more than turned off, you even took the main hard drive out, and only the backup disk is inside. There is no operating system installed at all. So you KNOW you are safe.

Frank from across the street is an alternative operating systems hobbyist, and he has tons of computers. He has Free BSD on a couple, his own compilation of Linux on another, a Mac for the wife, and even has Solaris on yet another. Frank knows systems security, so he cannot be hacked . . . or so he thinks.

The government does not like Frank much, because they LOVE to look at everything. Privacy is a crime don't you know, and it looks like Frank's luck with privacy is about to run out.

The new Intel Core vPro processors contain a new remote access feature which allows 100 percent remote access to a PC 100 percent of the time, even if the computer is turned off. Core vPro processors contain a second physical processor embedded within the main processor which has it's own operating system embedded on the chip itself. As long as the power supply is available and and in working condition, it can be woken up by the Core vPro processor, which runs on the system's phantom power and is able to quietly turn individual hardware components on and access anything on them.

This is being touted as something that makes IT administration easy. It is being advertised as something that will allow IT professionals the ability to remotely troubleshoot a PC no matter what is wrong with it. It allows IT professionals to view the contents of hard drives, check the memory, or hunt for problems on a machine without actually being in front of it. And to that, I call B.S, outside of snooping it's only real world applications would involve accessing a recovery partition and restoring the computer to out of box state, installing software outside the knowledge of the main operating system, and secretly placing or deleting files.

But the intelligence agencies LOVE THIS. Because Frank is going on vacation soon and they know it. They have listened to all of his calls. They KNOW frank is a terrorist, because they have never been able to access anything Frank has done with a PC, and who would hide their use, other than a criminal? Frank keeps his computers up to date, and THREE of them now have Core vPro processors in them, and when Frank is gone, they are going to get their chance to access ALL of his files because the main backup hard disk went into the newest machine.
Real world use for Core vPro processors will involve the following:

Accessing any PC anywhere, no matter what operating system is installed, even if it is physically disconnected from the internet. You see, Core vPro processors work in conjunction with Intel's new Anti Theft 3.0, which put 3g connectivity into every Intel CPU after the Sandy Bridge version of the I3/5/7 processors. Users do not get to know about that 3g connection, but it IS there. Frank was not stupid so he unplugged his router. Unfortunately for Frank, that won't work, because anti theft 3.0 always has that 3g connection on also, even if the computer is turned off. Sorry frank, you were good with operating systems, but did not know everything about hardware. And now the real reason for your finicky security habits will be known to the NSA - you found a way to route photons to any place in the world without any sort of cable. You revolutionized communications. You were going public when you returned from your vacation, but thanks to your new Core vPro processors, a major communications firm is going to go public with your invention BEFORE you get home, and your research will be deleted and replaced with "criminal activity" so you will be arrested when you get back and unable to speak about the theft of your invention. Fascism is GREAT.

If a system has the ram chips pulled, a Core vPro processor will read the hard disk anyway because it has all the ram it needs embedded in the vPro core.

If you encrypted your hard drive, a Core vPro processor will read it anyway, because it snagged your encryption key. If your system has been taken apart, and has no video card, ram, floppy, or hard drive, your Core vPro processor nailed you, because you left a flash drive plugged in. Or a CD in the CD drive. And what about that web cam?

The bottom line? The Core vPro processor is the end of any pretend privacy. If you think encryption, Norton, or anything else is going to ensure your privacy, including never hooking up to the web at all, think again. There is now more than just a ghost in the machine.

If you believe Intel’s cheerful hype about these processors making things more secure than ever, think again, because any processor which allows a machine to be accessed even when it’s turned off equates to an information tyrant’s dream come true. Please engage your brain while watching this, the security pitch is unadulterated B.S. These processors in fact represent an absolute breach of security no matter how they are marketed. From the technical viewpoint of someone who worked for an intelligence agency, I call B.S. on Intel, avoid these processors like the plague!
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-01-19, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Ex NSA Speaks about Meltdown and Specter

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-01-19, 08:24

This post is insane. Some of the claims are really scary, especially the CPUs being 3G accessible.
I have been planning to migrate to AMD before I read this, but this motivates me even more. Goodbye Intel.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-19, 09:31

I'm sorry but for a self-proclaimed authority he can't even keep management technology and spectre separated? I don't find the article at all believable and you're being too credulous.
Also, please point me to the transceiver circuitry inside Intel chips that would have both the power and the range to make them 3G accessible. I find that idea totally ludicrous; good luck trying to cram that in a CPU undetected -- AND that can somehow overcome the commonly-massive metal shielding a heatsink provides XD

I think going the conspiracy route is silly. Apply some common sense and basic electronics knowledge first, please.

I will say that AMD/ARM being caught in the stream while there is no clear technical reason to, is most likely business-political/economical. That is all I think is going on here.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-01-20, 01:10

Just because he is ex NSA doesn't mean will have every detail about terminology correct.

But seriously, is it so hard to believe?

How about this? Do you really think it's the first one?
The idea that a large heat sink on one side of the board is mute since there are multiple open spaces on a computer.
Meet Intel's SoFIA, the super-cheap smartphone chip created in Singapore
https://www.cnet.com/news/meet-intels-s ... singapore/
Intel has packed a dual-core Atom Silvermont processor into a 28nm system-on-chip (SoC)
design that also crams in a 3G modem. An LTE 4G quad-core version will appear at a later stage
Do we seriously think that Intel is going to just give us this info? I seriously doubt it.
He makes a good point about how the now known "meltdown" was baked in also.

Believe what you want. Personally I don't trust any of these companies.
I'm sure that before Snowden, People would just shake their heads and say prove it.
Now it's common knowledge. :think:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-21, 15:04

Control circuitry can be put anywhere, including all crammed into a single integrated circuit -- tranceivers for mobile communications cannot. You need a lot more than a chip to actually send and receive wireless signals. Don't believe me? Crack open your smartphone. There's a bunch more things in there than just chips, and the antennas and tranciever circuitry are the bulkiest parts of it. Also, do apply proximity rules when thinking about EM signals and metal.

Seriously, don't take my word for it (since you aren't anyway, while believing a half story of someone else). Look it up. Do some research (actual study material, not "stories"). Inform yourself.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-01-21, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2018-01-21, 21:17

Just from a technical standpoint, I think you could do something to add a secret wireless connection like this, although it would be easier to include say the chipset in the conspiracy too, after all that is made by Intel as well. Think about covert bugging devices or just a remote key fob, there is a tiny transmitter powered by a coin cell battery. The range could be extended by placing a repeater near the target. RF transmission is quite easy, create a carrier frequency, modulate with the data, amplify it, and send it down a suitably sized wire or circuit trace on a PCB. The high frequencies found in computer wireless and mobiles use a short antenna. The coin cell CMOS battery would not power any main computer functions but perhaps secret data could be cached in some way then transmitted later. If you are talking about the mains power being left on, then potentially the computer could be switched on remotely from standby and a lot more power and opportunities would be available.
The problem I see is that any wireless transmission is easily detected with the right equipment, so if this was widely used you'd think it would be noticed, just like computers that unexpectedly turned themselves on. The other way it would be detectable is by reverse engineering the circuit, you can even do this to some degree with the integrated circuits themselves using microscopes and acid apparently. Also live circuit voltages and signals can be analyzed to see what is going on.
The state has absolute power if it chooses to wield it though, so why would they bother when they can just send the police round to your house?
And as for a Jewish conspiracy, Israel is a small and somewhat besieged country, so it must be a pretty rubbish conspiracy.
From what I have read the Intel issues have been an open secret for some years, at least since C2D days, probably what has changed is that someone has been exploiting them so it has become a problem. Either that or they got the idea from Apple slowing down it's old iphones to drum up some new sales of future 'fixed' products :D
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-21, 23:47

If you are that worried put your computer in a faraday cage.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-22, 14:01

Since we've descended into the tinfoil hat zone, I'm locking this thread.