Suppress Google Chrome?

General discussion area and chat

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
This General Discussions forum is an open chat area, so you can talk about almost any subject. Please keep things civil, though!

Please do try to somewhat stick to the relevance of this forum, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Totally random" subjects don't really belong here, even in the general discussion area.
jthorusen
Moongazer
Moongazer

Suppress Google Chrome?

Postby jthorusen » Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 01:33

Greetings to the Forum:

Every time I get on my wife's computer (not all that often) I find Google Chrome installed. Is there a way to permanently block this software from downloading? Operating system: Windows 7 home edition; browser: Pale Moon

Thanks,
Jim T.

Thehandyman1957
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Suppress Google Chrome?

Postby Thehandyman1957 » Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 02:52

It is usually bundled with lots of other software. Has she added anything lately? :think:
"Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny."

BenFenner
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby BenFenner » Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 14:43

I found a bunch of good leads for you here: https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=prevent%20googl ... installing

Moonraker
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Moonraker » Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 15:22

well usually a pair of glasses and reading the small print on these installers is suffice to stop the chrome from installing.it doesnt install itself you know lol.
Linux Lite 3.6 64bit.
Pale moon 27.7.1

Pale Moon Rising
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Postby Pale Moon Rising » Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 15:34

If using Avast then I'm pretty sure you have to uncheck Install Chrome when updating the Anti-Virus program as it has in the past installed by default if you do nothing (bad practice since in my opinion collateral software should never install by default).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN7(64-bit) | I3 CPU, 2.53 GHz, 4G RAM

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers

Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Cassette
Moon lover
Moon lover

Postby Cassette » Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 15:51

I use Unchecky to help prevent unwanted programs from sneaking in from other program installers.

Pale Moon Rising
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Postby Pale Moon Rising » Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 16:50

Cassette wrote:I use Unchecky to help prevent unwanted programs from sneaking in from other program installers.
Can't remember why I uninstalled Uchecky (years ago) -- What I do when installing/updating software is make a point to never use the "Default" option but instead always use the "Custom" option and then be sure and thoroughly peruse every step of the install.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN7(64-bit) | I3 CPU, 2.53 GHz, 4G RAM

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers

Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Falna
Lunatic
Lunatic

Postby Falna » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 17:19

Pale Moon Rising wrote:What I do when installing/updating software is make a point to never use the "Default" option but instead always use the "Custom" option and then be sure and thoroughly peruse every step of the install.

+1
Last edited by Falna on Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator

Postby JustOff » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 18:14

Go to Program Files (x86)\Google, create a file named Chrome and make it read-only. This will prevent Chrome from installing forever :twisted:
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Fri, 12 Jan 2018, 12:57

JustOff wrote:Go to Program Files (x86)\Google, create a file named Chrome and make it read-only. This will prevent Chrome from installing forever :twisted:

No, it won't, because it will just install in %APPDATA% instead, then.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator

Postby JustOff » Fri, 12 Jan 2018, 13:28

Hmm, I checked my suggestion before posting it and everything worked as it should. However, nothing prevents to repeat the same steps in %APPDATA%\Google, %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google and Program Files\Google to be confident.
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

Cassette
Moon lover
Moon lover

Postby Cassette » Sat, 13 Jan 2018, 08:50

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Can't remember why I uninstalled Uchecky (years ago) -- What I do when installing/updating software is make a point to never use the "Default" option but instead always use the "Custom" option and then be sure and thoroughly peruse every step of the install.

While it's all well and good to be diligent while installing programs, I'm no longer foolish enough to think I could never make a mistake. I had that happen with a CCleaner installer because the screen that prompted the Chrome installation had to download so I hit next before it was even visible. Then it was too late to stop it. Unchecky also adds a few entries to the hosts file to prevent certain adware servers from being connected to at all. It's lightweight and unobtrusive.
Last edited by Cassette on Sat, 13 Jan 2018, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

LAR Grizzly
Moon lover
Moon lover

Postby LAR Grizzly » Sat, 13 Jan 2018, 16:01

Cassette wrote:...the Chrome installation had to download so I hit next before it was even visible. Then it was too late to stop it.

I never let installers connect to the Internet when installing programs (I also don't use stub installers). You should set your Firewall to disallow installers their connections.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 27.7.2, Firefox 52.6.0esr, SeaMonkey 2.48, FossaMail 38.6.2 and Thunderbird 52.6.0

Return to “General discussion”