Tips to keep Windows xp safe for retro gaming?

General discussion and chat (archived)
LordRevolution123

Tips to keep Windows xp safe for retro gaming?

Unread post by LordRevolution123 » 2018-01-01, 20:11

I have a Hp compaq 6200 pro sff with 16gb ram, nvidia gt geforce 610. And i installed a copy of windows xp pro 32bit and enabled pae. I did the usual av/mbam combo i have some questions

1. Would EMET 4.1 help protect me?

2. Is the posready 2k9 hack worth it?

3. How in the heck do i disable autorun

But other than than you can share your tips n tricks on how to keep xp alive

(before you ask, i have a win10 pc around too but dont really bother to use it)

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Tips to keep Windows xp safe for retro gaming?

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-01-01, 21:48

If you are not surfing on dangerous pages, i would not worry too much of security issues ;)

LordRevolution123

Unread post by LordRevolution123 » 2018-01-01, 22:04

Oh ok thanks, I was just worried cause of all the stuff i was reading

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2018-01-01, 23:11

1: Yes and No. Exploits can circumvent old EMET. Maybe latest EMET too
2: No. Its not for normal users
3: simple disable it after search at startmenu

4: You cant fix holes in a unsupported system and XP cant handle your hardware

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2018-01-02, 04:14

LordRevolution123 wrote:I have a Hp compaq 6200 pro sff with 16gb ram, nvidia gt geforce 610. And i installed a copy of windows xp pro 32bit and enabled pae. I did the usual av/mbam combo i have some questions
Personally I had installed hacks to older versions of Windows for get some upgrade features (usb 2.0 support or DVD playback), mostly for the desperation because the PC has valuable files for recover or I need to run some new hardware on them. But except for this extreme case you are in the "try-n-luck" department if you use these hacks.

In my case I had installed even Windows 7 in a Pentium III/266 Mhz/512Mb. It works, if you install the home version and turn off all things like Aero. At least can run emus from Atari 2600 to NES but most modern software will not install on it.

An idea is that you made 2 partitions: One for Windows XP and other for Windows 7 if you can, so you can use the best of two worlds for your machine.

LordRevolution123

Unread post by LordRevolution123 » 2018-01-02, 04:37

lyceus wrote:
LordRevolution123 wrote:I have a Hp compaq 6200 pro sff with 16gb ram, nvidia gt geforce 610. And i installed a copy of windows xp pro 32bit and enabled pae. I did the usual av/mbam combo i have some questions
Personally I had installed hacks to older versions of Windows for get some upgrade features (usb 2.0 support or DVD playback), mostly for the desperation because the PC has valuable files for recover or I need to run some new hardware on them. But except for this extreme case you are in the "try-n-luck" department if you use these hacks.

In my case I had installed even Windows 7 in a Pentium III/266 Mhz/512Mb. It works, if you install the home version and turn off all things like Aero. At least can run emus from Atari 2600 to NES but most modern software will not install on it.

An idea is that you made 2 partitions: One for Windows XP and other for Windows 7 if you can, so you can use the best of two worlds for your machine.
That last part is actually a great idea, thanks!

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-01-02, 21:21

Another option is to install a virtual machine.

I've just installed a virtual machine on my XP box and have installed Win7 in it. It is doing precisely what I wanted it to.

Two OS's running at the same time on one machine. Win win.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-03, 11:30

The problem with a VM is usually that it will be limited in its availability of graphics. VMs do not have access to the host's graphics card directly which can cause plenty of issues especially for gaming. Other than that, you definitely have enough RAM for it (which is usually the restrictive factor).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2018-01-09, 03:56

Other simple idea that works in the farm with the grandma/grandpa PCs. Create an account for browse only and another for gaming (non admin of course). So in case of infection the virus is limited to the basic account.

Macca

Unread post by Macca » 2018-01-09, 13:23

Wouldn't it be easier to have it as an offline-only machine in the first place or do you actually need the net for your games?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-01-09, 16:50

Im very happy with my fs-uae amiga emulator which i have used for a couple of years to bring back those wonderful amiga memories.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1