Who's Using Both Pale Moon and Basilisk and Why?

General discussion and chat (archived)
JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Who's Using Both Pale Moon and Basilisk and Why?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-12-18, 16:38

For the past ten years or so, I had been running Fx beta and Nightly side by side on my machines. Watching the "development process" was always interesting, though not always fun.

The changes in Fx 57 killed the very last vestiges of "fun". Fx ESR is still hanging around, and will continue to do so till the Fx v.57 changes get integrated next spring, but it's just 'cause I have time on my hands and space on my HDD.

In searching for an alternative to FX, I came across PM, and it's been the default browser on my four desktops and three laptops for about two months now. I'm very happy with it.

Somehow I came across Basilisk on Saturday (16 Dec 2017) and thought I'd give it a spin. It's also here to stay for the foreseeable future.

I sincerely look forward to watching the development of PM and Basilisk.

P.S. If it's of any interest, I'm a retired English teacher and not a "computer person" in any way shape or form.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Who's Using Both Pale Moon and Basilisk and Why?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-12-18, 17:20

I am. I always have a backup browser, and that browser is/was Firefox. With the direction FF took with version 57, I switched to the ESR version (because at the time Basilisk had not yet been released). When Basilisk was released, I put it on because FF ESR 52 is only good till June 2018 and I won't use it after that.

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2017-12-19, 02:05

Since Basilisk is a development platform for UXP, what better way to help UXP for PM than to install the browser (alongside PM), use it, test it and give feedback in the forum.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-12-19, 04:42

Basilisk is one of my backup browsers, and I also use it for testing some things in place of Firefox 52 ESR.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2017-12-19, 12:16

I first installed Basilisk out of curiosity, then to see if I can customize it to my needs (CTR, etc...) - which worked good. But I couldn't workaround a few disliked firefoxish leftovers, so I keep it and sometimes use it as my second browser ATM, but still prefer Pale Moon as main browser... just feels like home.

Thx for the FAQ update btw about not to muddle up Pale Moon and Basilisk profiles.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-12-20, 05:18

Usually beta testers need to have that setup. I find Firefox 5x/Basilisk a bit confusing in the menus and UI.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-20, 08:46

I use both because I'm developing on both ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2017-12-20, 10:37

I have Pale Moon, Basilisk, Waterfox and Firefox installed.haha.
I use Pale Moon for surfing the web, Waterfox for logins (forums etc) and basilisk is for fun - to track its development. FF is there as my last resort, especially after the Looking Glass fiasco.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-12-21, 00:14

I have Basilisk installed but don't seem to ever find the need to use it as PM is so freaking awesome. :mrgreen:

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2017-12-23, 15:44

Thehandyman1957 wrote:I have Basilisk installed but don't seem to ever find the need to use it as PM is so freaking awesome. :mrgreen:
PM is so freaking awesome indeed! haha
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2017-12-29, 20:01

Just found/saw Basilisk as I wanted to re-evaluate browsers for 2018.

Currently using Palemoon as primary, and have added testing Basilisk as potential replacement.

Reasons I say replacement:
Basilisk works on several sites I need do to my job where Palemoon renders incorrectly (to the point of not displaying, and or overlaying various elements and making the sites extremely hard to use or non-functional).
Basilisk supports XUL and Web Extensions which has allowed for the use of some extensions that do not work and have no Palemoon compatible version or fork for newer Palemoon versions.

I am still seeing if I can achieve a level of configuration and workability that matches my current Palemoon configuration on my personal PC, but for work Basilisk is nearing full replacement of Palemoon.

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2017-12-30, 13:45

I use Pale Moon and Basilisk...I only use Basilisk if there's something on there that I can't access with my current Pale Moon setup, perhaps a video streaming site or a website that breaks with the recommended privacy settings ticked.

mrmivo

Unread post by mrmivo » 2018-01-20, 14:31

I have it installed, but mostly just to keep track of it and stay in the loop. As for why: I like the Pale Moon team's philosophy, and it's good to have a backup browser.

Rising Soul
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Rising Soul » 2018-01-24, 01:35

I have Pale Moon as my main browser, with an extension that adds a button so I can open any link instantly in Basilisk as my backup browser.

I used to have Chromium as my backup for this purpose, but since I discovered Basilisk, Chromium is gathering dust in the virtual corner of my hard drive somewhere.

I also have a portable version of "unstable" Pale Moon for testing addons before I put them on my main. Haven't had any stability issues whatsoever though. :)

mrmivo

Unread post by mrmivo » 2018-01-25, 13:50

Rising Soul wrote:I have Pale Moon as my main browser, with an extension that adds a button so I can open any link instantly in Basilisk as my backup browser.
Which extension is this? Sounds very handy! :)

Rising Soul
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Rising Soul » 2018-01-25, 20:45

mrmivo wrote: Which extension is this? Sounds very handy! :)
Sorry, couldn't think of the name at the time. It's this one: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/openwithieedge/

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-25, 20:52

Moonchild wrote:I use both because I'm developing on both ;)
I don't use it but I do occasionally run it for the same reason.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-01-25, 21:23

Just Pale Moon here ;)

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-01-25, 21:59

Just use pale moon as my main browser and i will stand by the wayside and watch the courtship of pale moon and basillisk from afar.No doubt the romantic couple may decide on a marriage of convenience in the future and merge as one, :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-25, 22:13

Moonraker wrote:Just use pale moon as my main browser and i will stand by the wayside and watch the courtship of pale moon and basillisk from afar.No doubt the romantic couple may decide on a marriage of convenience in the future and merge as one, :D
I dunno what this means.. However, Pale Moon will build on UXP in the very near future, at least, this year. Basilisk and Pale Moon are merely applications that will live in separate houses but on the same street. That is if you want an actually half-decent analogy.

Right now, Pale Moon is living on a street called Tycho where people bitch that it doesn't have this and that.. Later this year Pale Moon will move to a new street called UXP, on the east side, but Mozilla had a party there and tore up a house now called Basilisk and left a bunch of garbage in the road.

We are renovating Basilisk and cleaning up the street and Pale Moon will be moving it's entire house on a lot next door later this year.

Luckily, Mozilla has decided to leave the town completely so we don't have to worry about them anymore.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-25, 22:33, edited 18 times in total.