Firefox starts adding ads within the browser

General discussion and chat (archived)
John connor

Re: Firefox starts adding ads within the browser

Unread post by John connor » 2017-12-18, 08:15

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:Still fond of Thunderbird - good news in that direction is that it isn't getting much attention from Mozilla. I swear the recent builds of TB have slowed it right down.

Tell me about it. And my E-mail in one account is messed up. Every time I get a new E-mail it places it smack in the middle of the old mail. Then the thing times out some times.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2017-12-18, 09:21

mseliger wrote:If you only need a simple e-mail client then you can look for Sylpheed (http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en)(the original - Claws Mail is a fork of Sylpheed). It works with Linux and Windows and there is also a portable installation (Portableapps-Platform). You can then use Pale Moon to view html e-mails.
As a calendar replacement you might try Reminderfox (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/reminderfox/) which works like a charm with Pale Moon.
A very simple e-mail client is also SimpleMail (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/simple-mail/) which works very well with Pale Moon.
Sylpheed for Windows doesn't include a native spellchecker on Windows and that tool has saved my life a lot of times. 8-)

nana2

Unread post by nana2 » 2017-12-18, 21:19

"Mozilla is Not Trustworthy" See video below on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMALm1VthGY

Glad that I am using Pale Moon as my default browser.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-12-19, 08:00

nana2 wrote:"Mozilla is Not Trustworthy" See video below on YouTube.

The multiple word used was: "not trustworthy." And he repeats it like a billion times. I gave up at 3 min in. But don't get me wrong, from what I read and seen here and other places, Mozilla is the"beast" they talk about. The evil horned red devil. It's why I switched to PM a long time ago.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-19, 13:13

Looks like the chief marketing officer (CMO) for Firefox took a lot of heat for Looking Glass. Since it wasn't received very well by the "community", he had to dodge quite a few "slings and arrows" which made its way all the way up into the top floor of the ivory tower where his office is located.

The final result, he had to swallow his pride as well as his lofty ego and was forced to remove the baked in Looking Glass and make Looking Glass into an extension. From the not so savory comments from the community and after backing down, I imagine he'll "get a most generous monetary bonus" at the end of the calendar year for his shady practices from the powers that be which control Mozilla and secretly love these practices. ;)

In my opinion, I'm pretty sure this was run by the head honcho Beard first and was okayed by him. Since it created a very big stink, I imagine the CMO was chosen to be the sacrificial lamb so the other powers that be, looked and remained "squeaky clean" in this fiasco.

https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/update ... glass-add/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2017-12-19, 15:27

At least in this case Mozilla have listened or bowed to pressure. Shows what a collective shout of exclamation can do...
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-19, 15:31

Mozilla has fully embraced their own destruction which is what all the Social Justice Warriors and SoyBoys, that have supplanted the once great people at Mozilla, want in the end. I wouldn't spend much time being concerned with what latest travesty they have pulled this week.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-28, 11:58

Only problem i have with mozillas initiative here is that its opt-out instead of opt-in,but even so i would imagine there is a way to disable or remove this function.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-28, 19:13

Me too.

BTW, I notice that this guy is saying "Mozzilla" like "pizza" instead of Mozilla like "a zipper". Does anyone hear that? I thought it was pronounced like a simple English /z/. :think:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-28, 21:08

gracious1 wrote:

Me too.

BTW, I notice that this guy is saying "Mozzilla" like "pizza" instead of Mozilla like "a zipper". Does anyone hear that? I thought it was pronounced like a simple English /z/. :think:
Not defending mozilla here but even the accused is entitled to a fair trial and the opinion of one you-tube reviewer is hardly conclusive evidence that mozilla cant be trusted.
try google if fingers are to be pointed as their court appearances are beyond apprehension.
Still i love palemoon as it is the only browser which allows full customisation.

Pale moon 29.4.1

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2017-12-28, 21:40

gracious1 wrote:

Me too.

Yeah, the first part of Mozilla is from Mosaic, right? And that's pronounced with a regular old /z/.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-28, 21:52

Why has this discussion suddenly descended into a english lesson...?..miles off topic. :wtf:

Pale moon 29.4.1

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-28, 23:24

Moonraker wrote: Not defending mozilla here but even the accused is entitled to a fair trial and the opinion of one you-tube reviewer is hardly conclusive evidence that mozilla cant be trusted.
OK, fair enough.
So let's look at the points the speaker makes. For example, the Mr. Robots / Looking Glass fiasco. I mean, for me, just once installing an extension without my consent or knowledge is enough to break trust, possibly irreparably. If Moonchild Productions did that, I think I would give up the Web.
Moonraker wrote:try google if fingers are to be pointed as their court appearances are beyond apprehension.
That's not a strong defense of Mozilla. Suppose John says, "Mozilla did this bad thing." And then Jane says, "Well, what about all these worse things that Google did?". Well, Jane is right, they are worse, but Mozilla still did a bad thing! It's not any less bad because another corporation is even worse!
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-12-28, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-28, 23:30

Off-topic:
SpockMan02 wrote:Yeah, the first part of Mozilla is from Mosaic, right? And that's pronounced with a regular old /z/.
That's right. So it's settled. He's pronouncing it wrong.
Moonraker wrote:Why has this discussion suddenly descended into a english lesson...?
His mispronunciation was making the video hard to listen to. But we're done now.
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-12-28, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

mrmivo

Unread post by mrmivo » 2018-01-20, 14:48

Moonchild wrote:Consider Firefox hard on the way to be a "web browser as a service" with no control whatsoever over what exactly it is you have installed.
(Late to the thread.)

Yeah, I was already miffed about them using their biggest competitor's search engine as the default and then displaying a "donation" plea on new tabs that proudly exclaimed that Mozilla are against filter bubbles (I wish I had screenshotted this; the next day they had reworded the text) and that they require funds to keep up the good fight.

The "as a service trend" is really bugging me in general, partly because of my limited internet connection where unauthorized, hidden downloads eat up my pitiful bandwidth, and partly out of principle, because it's my machine. I'm not even worried about malware, I just like to know what is installed, when, and where. It annoys me to no end when programs download data and I have no clue what it is that they are downloading. It puzzles me that so many people today are perfectly fine with all of this and that there is so little opposition. Things used to be different. Then again, Microsoft successfully (mostly) got away with automatic updates, and people are eager to put Echo and other devices into their homes (even pay for them). Convenience seems to trump sensibility.