Firefox starts adding ads within the browser

General discussion and chat (archived)
dark_moon

Firefox starts adding ads within the browser

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-12-16, 13:38

https://github.com/nylira/prism-break/issues/1842

&

Unknown Mozilla dev addon "Looking Glass 1.0.3" on browser: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15931730

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Firefox starts adding ads within the browser

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-16, 14:06

Firefox (Quantum): Mozilla's new browser; "their" way, NOT your way. ;)
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-16, 14:20

"Quiet" addons, aka "System Addons" is something Mozilla has built into Firefox to be able to silently push their own experiments and extension-based features. Mozilla is able to silently install "features" to the browser at any time and at will through this system. It is masked as one of the "update" URLs, but it will not just update but install/uninstall/change any part of the browser Mozilla sees fit at any time. Consider Firefox hard on the way to be a "web browser as a service" with no control whatsoever over what exactly it is you have installed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-12-16, 16:09

Moonchild wrote:Consider Firefox hard on the way to be a "web browser as a service" with no control whatsoever over what exactly it is you have installed.
"our browser - our way" :D

Unbelievable that there have been times when Mozilla believed in something totally different. Mozilla in 2017/2018 - bigest laughing stock ever 8-)

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-12-16, 17:24

Aren't all the P M users who have/use other browsers as well so thrilled to know this. There is a reason why I have no other browser installed any more.

"There is nothing wrong with your device. Do not attempt to adjust the settings. We are now in control of the transmission. We control the software and the content. We can deluge you with a thousands apps, or expand one single app to crystal clarity and beyond. We can shape your vision to anything our imagination can conceive. For the next decades, we will control all that you see and hear."

An slight modification of the opening introduction for The Outer Limits (Television series in America from 1963 to 1965.)
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

franzk

Unread post by franzk » 2017-12-16, 21:56

NetZero: Electric Boogaloo

I mean... Mozilla isn't even providing an ISP service. If they offered a VPN like Opera then ads would be acceptable if voluntary, but uh.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2017-12-16, 22:22

LigH1L
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LigH1L » 2017-12-16, 22:36

Another reaction: Firefox is on a slippery slope (Drew DeVault's blog)
Fun and success!

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2017-12-16, 23:09

That's unbelievable.

Mozilla has become exactly what it used to hate. I don't understand Mozilla, they have signed the death warrant for their flagship product which becomes apparent when you see the most loyal of users deleting all traces of their once-loved browser from all their systems.

Firefox will burn.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-12-16, 23:43

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:That's unbelievable.

Mozilla has become exactly what it used to hate. I don't understand Mozilla, they have signed the death warrant for their flagship product which becomes apparent when you see the most loyal of users deleting all traces of their once-loved browser from all their systems.

Firefox will burn.
Perhaps they have been thinking that now enough power/geek users have switched away from Firefox so they can pull stunt's like all the other browser developers for the user market of plain and simple generic John's/Jane's without getting too much under fire. Too bad that they still are seen as Open Source developer (as they dare and push such a honorable reputation into the very dirt where it does NOT belong) - and so - while Mozilla sees itself as "big player" - they are still hit very badly by stunt's like that :twisted:

The fate for imposters who abuse a once proud and remarkable brand/company name.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-12-17, 01:38

Man, this should have been posted in the W10 thread, how dare you cross thread. ;) :lol:

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-12-17, 02:52

Just another nail in the coffin for that browser.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-12-17, 05:33

Sure makes me wonder how long the frogs have to boil before they find it too hot?
Though, we are seeing a lot of new folks here, so at least there is a life boat in the browser world
for them to hop into.

It's like watching the Titanic slowly sink into the ocean.
Now there's a visual for ya. Gotta click on the gif to see it play.
200.gif

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2017-12-17, 12:04

Nice gif :) , but I think Firefox will not sink over this, just lose some more old users.

Didn't Mozilla already announce ads (as 'tiles') in FF29 age? - One of the several reasons for me to quit. Though, they removed some of the tiles later, if I recall right.

from slashdot discussion - I lol'd
Mozilla Slipped - Slashdot-2017-12-17--12-45-20.png

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-12-17, 12:22

loxodont wrote:but I think Firefox will not sink over this, just lose some more old users.
There will always be the die hard fan-base-new around which Mozilla tries to collect so desperately to be able to fight on an even play-field head on head with Google Chrome these days - the only one's who will leave because of issues like that are the old loyal users who know the old Mozilla, the user-centric one.

Mozilla collects the kind of users today who do not care what they consume and who do not care about it's negative impacts. Open mouth - insert garbage :lol:

Mozilla new is not interested in that old loyal users anymore - fun fact is that those old users have been exactly the kind of users who have been the most patient and most loyal users who are now getting replaced by Mozilla against people... who will leave instantly as soon as there is a problem they can not understand...

Quite clever strategy :lol:

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2017-12-17, 13:51

This was last brick in the wall for me. I've uninstalled Firefox because I used it as secondary browser anyway.

I'd like an alternative open source application for Thunderbird too.

I really miss Fossamail. :cry:

themew

Unread post by themew » 2017-12-17, 15:23

snertev wrote:This was last brick in the wall for me. I've uninstalled Firefox because I used it as secondary browser anyway.

Also looking for an alternative to TB, I tried http://www.claws-mail.org/

Still deciding on whether to switch or not... :)

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2017-12-17, 16:04

themew wrote:
snertev wrote:This was last brick in the wall for me. I've uninstalled Firefox because I used it as secondary browser anyway.

Also looking for an alternative to TB, I tried http://www.claws-mail.org/

Still deciding on whether to switch or not... :)
It's the only open source mail client that is not based on Mozilla code and runs reasonably well on Windows.

However, it's falling behind in Win binary release, so I'm not sure how much their dev are interested in this platform.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2017-12-17, 16:07

Still fond of Thunderbird - good news in that direction is that it isn't getting much attention from Mozilla. I swear the recent builds of TB have slowed it right down.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2017-12-17, 21:22

If you only need a simple e-mail client then you can look for Sylpheed (http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en)(the original - Claws Mail is a fork of Sylpheed). It works with Linux and Windows and there is also a portable installation (Portableapps-Platform). You can then use Pale Moon to view html e-mails.
As a calendar replacement you might try Reminderfox (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/reminderfox/) which works like a charm with Pale Moon.
A very simple e-mail client is also SimpleMail (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/simple-mail/) which works very well with Pale Moon.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande