Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

General discussion and chat (archived)
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-12-13, 14:58

I have win 7. I run a non-windows malware blocker, I do have the Microsoft Security Essentials. Since the start of the roll-up updates, I have only run the Security only update from the catalog.

This month's updates include a new incarnation of the WMSRT. I am not sure that I want to download this at all. I am not real big on trusting Microsoft these days.

Any feedback is appreciated.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

Unread post by van p » 2017-12-14, 06:18

TwoTankAmin, I used to have W7, now W10. I always accepted WMSRT with my updates and never had a problem. Not sure what you mean by "new incarnation". And as far as trusting any global mega-corp, why would you ever have done such a thing anyway? (You did ask for "any feedback".)
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-12-14, 15:51

I will never use Windows 10. I started with Windows 3.0 and there was no reason not to trust Microsoft in those days. Win 7 was the last version where users could reasonably block Microsoft from controlling users information and systems.

I think I will just ignore this particular "Update." I will run the security only update after there has been enough time for users to discover any bugs it may have and for them to be reported online. This is usually takes a week or two after the update is available.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-12-16, 04:03

TwoTankAmin wrote:I think I will just ignore this particular "Update." I will run the security only update after there has been enough time for users to discover any bugs it may have and for them to be reported online. This is usually takes a week or two after the update is available.
Usually I let run these "updates" since they claim that just be doing antivirus scanning. I have Comodo Firewall so it can even block Windows of start a process that I don't permit to run. You just can mark hidden these updates and tada as you have a better option indeed.