Yahoo Sues Mozilla for going back to Google Search

General discussion and chat (archived)
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Yahoo Sues Mozilla for going back to Google Search

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-12-06, 21:55

We knew it was a dumb idea in the first place when Mozilla made Yahoo search the Firefox default. Now Mozilla has changed its mind, returned to working with Google and ticking off Yahoo which sued Mozilla. Mozilla countersued claiming that poor quality from Yahoo search caused Firefox to lose market share. We all know that is BS, Australis and what has followed, caused Mozilla to lose share. They were already in the middle of an almost historic loss of market share considering their meteoric rise and then all the missteps from there.

Read it all here https://searchengineland.com/yahoo-parent-sues-mozilla-replacing-google-firefox-default-search-287872
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Yahoo Sues Mozilla for going back to Google Search

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-06, 22:05

BTW it would be Verizon who through the subsidiary Oath owns AOL and Yahoo.. Oath and thus Verzion also own the registered trademark of "Gecko" and the trademark.. trademark of "XUL" via AOL owning rights to everything Netscape for which license the names to Mozilla to this day.

The more you know!

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-07, 00:18

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Oath and thus Verzion also own the registered trademark of "Gecko" and the trademark.. trademark of "XUL" via AOL owning rights to everything Netscape for which license the names to Mozilla to this day.
So Verizon owns trademarks on the names 'XUL' and 'Gecko'? That is scary. Well, at least PM uses Goanna now.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-12-07, 17:40

That was a bit unexpected.. But good for a real honest laugh :lol:

franzk

Unread post by franzk » 2017-12-09, 21:41

Yahoo was obviously bad.
It was as bad as ask.com.
Most users weren't technically able enough to change their default search engine, I have no doubt they lost some market share because of it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-10, 09:25

Before this spirals into a "this is bad, no this is bad" back and forth, let's recap:

On one side we have Yahoo/Oath saying "You've had no solid reason to back out of this deal"
On the other side we have Mozilla saying "Yahoo sucks! We lost market share because of you!"

For me the question to all ex-Firefox users would be a simple yes-or-no question: "Did you stop using Firefox because yahoo was the default search engine?" -- I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority answer there would be "No". Also, considering Yahoo wasn't even default for all regions Firefox has been used in. So, this will be interesting to see how Mozilla would try and twist this into somehow being Yahoo's fault, when it was their own design decisions that made people run away.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-10, 12:20

The rats are jumping the ship because it is sinking, not because the food could be better.
If Mozilla wins this lawsuit, I will lose whatever faith I may have left in the US civil justice system.
It should summarily be dismissed.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-10, 14:35

Well I can say this.. A number of people claimed to stop using Pale Moon because we dropped Google search off the list and as default. But out of those who claimed it.. I bet only like three people actually did it..

Adjusting for the size of user of Firefox I bet the same ratio applies to them.. So insignificant amout actually stopped using Firefox because of Yahoo search.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-10, 14:52

I quit using Firefox as my backup browser when Firefox came out with the Australis UI in version 29 and this was a design change made by Mozilla and the recent design change in Firefox 57 (Quantum) which killed off the legacy addons. Killing off the legacy addons didn't enticel me to make the switch back to Firefox 57. It had nothing to do with the default search engine in Firefox.

Instead of Mozilla blaming Yahoo for Firefox's market share loss, the board of directors at Mozilla should be blaming the people in charge of Mozilla who made those design changes for Firefox, namely Beard, Dixon, etc. Basically, Mozilla keeps shooting itself in both feet with regards to Firefox.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-10, 15:58

Night Wing wrote:Instead of Mozilla blaming Yahoo for Firefox's market share loss, the board of directors at Mozilla should be blaming the people in charge of Mozilla who made those design changes for Firefox, namely Beard, Dixon, etc.
You're asking a board of directors to black-ball themselves? No chance in hell :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-12-10, 17:38

Night Wing wrote:Instead of Mozilla blaming Yahoo for Firefox's market share loss, the board of directors at Mozilla should be blaming the people in charge of Mozilla who made those design changes for Firefox, namely Beard, Dixon, etc.
Hmm... You demand a bit too much from rabid Google Chrome concept shills ;) Whatever Mozilla does since quite a long time is running behind Google and trying desperately to fit into Google's foot-steps - and Mozilla's leading guys do that either free willingly or are paid to do so.

For this reason it is unlikely that Mozilla would blame their own supporters and leading heads behind all that past's changes which resulted in losing market share and even further Mozilla would never humiliate their ultimate role model and infiltrator/wannabe-parent-company :twisted: So, the only logical conclusion for them is that it is Yahoo's fault :D

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-10, 20:15

Moonchild wrote:
You're asking a board of directors to black-ball themselves? No chance in hell :)
I knew Chris Beard was the CEO of Mozilla, but I never knew he was on the Board of Directors. I have never seen a company where the CEO was also on the Board of Directors because of a "conflict of interest" should something arise to become a "sticky" situation.............if you get my drift. ;)
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

franzk

Unread post by franzk » 2017-12-11, 01:01

Moonchild wrote:"Did you stop using Firefox because yahoo was the default search engine?"
The Mozilla Foundation will have to present evidence in court.
Sajadi wrote: Hmm... You demand a bit too much from rabid Google Chrome concept shills ;) Whatever Mozilla does since quite a long time is running behind Google and trying desperately to fit into Google's foot-steps - and Mozilla's leading guys do that either free willingly or are paid to do so.
They even are trying to consistently be one step behind Google. A lot of their efforts seems to be wasted when they could have forked Chrome instead of implement electrolysis.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-12-11, 01:18

Moonchild wrote:You're asking a board of directors to black-ball themselves? No chance in hell :)
:lol: Even if Pigs do learn to fly! ;)