"electrolysis", farewell

General discussion and chat (archived)
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

"electrolysis", farewell

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-03, 06:55

Some of use use Waterfox as an auxiliary browser, and I was about to upgrade to v. 56, but then I saw in the release notes that electrolysis (e10s) is enabled by default. How to turn off e10s ? Will installing a non-e10s extension do the trick?
Off-topic:
BTW, "electrolysis" is also a well-established method of permanent hair removal via electricity. :o So that inspires confidence. :D I'm guessing the inventors of this browser technology weren't aware of this, even though it is pretty widespread in the USA. Every time I see or hear this name I chuckle. :lol:
UPDATE: Okay, I discovered it was as easy as a toggle switch in the preferences.
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: "electrolysis", farewell

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-03, 11:49

Off-topic:
You're mixing up "Electrology" and the chemical process "Electrolysis" -- not that I understand what Electrolysis has to do with what they did in the browser...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2017-12-03, 18:51

Off-topic:
Moonchild, gracious1 is correct. Maybe you're both right. If you didn't, maybe you should click on her link. I had electrolysis performed on myself, so I speak from personal experience. At least that's what we call it in America.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-08, 14:28

Off-topic:
van p wrote:Moonchild, gracious1 is correct. Maybe you're both right. If you didn't, maybe you should click on her link. I had electrolysis performed on myself, so I speak from personal experience. At least that's what we call it in America.
Yup, in the USA we call the actual hair-removal procedure electrolysis. This is why it makes me laugh.
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2017-12-08, 17:48

Off-topic:
gracious1 wrote:Yup, in the USA we call the actual hair-removal procedure electrolysis.
And in the UK too - https://electrolysis.co.uk/about-electrolysis/

Forked extensions :
โ— Add-ons Inspector โ— Auto Text Link โ— Copy As Plain Text โ— Copy Hyperlink Text โ— FireFTP button replacement โ— gSearch Bar โ— Navigation Bar Enhancer โ— New Tab Links โ— Number Tabs โ— Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 โ— Scrollbar Search Marker โ— Simple Marker โ— Tabs To Portfolio โ— Update Alert โ— Web Developer's Toolbox โ— Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-09, 16:13

Off-topic:
And from my lab background I know it has nothing to do with hair removal, and everything to do with separating out components of a solution through the application of current through a conductive surface.
Quite possible some people have started using it popularly in the other meaning of the word, and that it's become accepted over time -- dictionaries tend to agree; although before this thread I have never heard it used that way. Does make for a funnier implied link though.. so bad it'll make you lose your hair XD
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-09, 18:23

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:And from my lab background I know it has nothing to do with hair removal, and everything to do with separating out components of a solution through the application of current through a conductive surface.
Well, yes, a current is applied to a needle inserted into the hair follicle, and then chemical electrolysis forms NaOH which kills the hair cells. See this, esp. galvanic modality. It doesn't contradict what you said; it's just a different application.
Does make for a funnier implied link though.. so bad it'll make you lose your hair XD
Exactly! Or it's like having needles stuck in your face and a current applied through them making caustic soda!!! :o :shock: :wtf:

franzk

Unread post by franzk » 2017-12-09, 21:12

What's the main problem with electrolysis (in waterfox)?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-10, 15:14

franzk wrote:What's the main problem with electrolysis (in waterfox)?
Not one main problem, multiple, which I already made a post about.