Flying Solo With Pale Moon

General discussion and chat (archived)
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Flying Solo With Pale Moon

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-11-30, 18:01

I finally did it. I just finished deleting every vestige of Firefox ver 28 from my Win 7 desktop. Since IE has not been enabled since right after the computer was assembled, the only working browsers on my box now are the HD version of Pale Moon and then a USB stick with the portable version. The portable one is my backup. It is also need to access one site as one of the modification to my HD copy about:config files prevents it from working properly. The portable version has no about:config modifications made by me and will load the site. I also never update them both at the same time, I may wait as many as several weeks between one and the other downloading the update.

If something doesn't work using P M, I am not going to be able to use that site. At this time there is not another browser I am willing to download/use. (Please do not suggest Basilisk as I do not understand the reasons why it exists which means I will have no clue how to use it effectively. This is not a comment on the browser it but on me as a user.)

The best news is ver 27.6.1 brought back a site that has not worked for many months and is a main financial site for me. Better still, ver 27.6.2 did not change that. :clap:
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Flying Solo With Pale Moon

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-11-30, 20:18

I don't fly solo. I like having a parachute as a backup just in case I need to bail out of a "browser" for some reason.

If one needs to access a site and it doesn't render properly or worse where you can't access it all with one's everyday preferred go to browser (like a banking site or an email site) and a user agent fix does not work, it is best to have a backup browser. So with me, I like the "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" philosophy.

On my 5 linux hard drives, I have 3 browsers on each hard drive which are mirror copies of themselves. On my 4 windows hard drives, I have 4 browsers on each hard drive and they too are mirror copies of themselves. So with all of these browsers, in linux or windows, I'm covered for any eventuality which might show up browser wise.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-11-30, 22:17

Having Otter-Browser as backup, as there are annoying new so-called "essential" web-standards and drafts Pale Moon is not supporting because of the complexity to baking them in. So, having a backup browser for certain pages which refuse to be viewed properly is a wise thing to have in my opinion. :)

And what is behind Basilisk will be used in the future to power Pale Moon. So, in short it is a test application more or less if you want to have it put into very simplistic words ;)

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-12-01, 02:06

I have too many browsers installed

-Pale Moon
-Basilisk
-Seamonky (actually it's a web suite)
-Firefox
-Vivaldi (for Rabb.it)
-Chrome (for Remote Desktop)

Peano

Unread post by Peano » 2017-12-01, 02:42

I got rid of Firefox long ago and switched to PM. But I wouldn't go solo. When PM fails in some way or other that I can't figure out, I find that SlimJet works very nicely. It is open source (chrome), clean, lightweight and very fast. Recommended. (I'm actually considering making SlimJet my default browser and putting PM on standby status.)

https://www.slimjet.com/

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-01, 02:54

I took a look, and since they actually have a 64-bit GNU/Linux version (!), I will give it a whirl, but I did notice that they ripped off PM's slogan a little.
PM = "Your browser, your way"®
Slimjet = "My browser, my way"
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-12-01, 03:49

Off-topic:
gracious1 wrote:but I did notice that they ripped off PM's slogan a little.
PM = "Your browser, your way"®
Slimjet = "My browser, my way"
Moonchild pinged them back in 2015 when they actually were using "Your browser, your way" in their advertising. They changed it pretty quickly, but they've apparently changed it again in the meantime.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-01, 04:12

half-moon wrote:I have too many browsers installed
Ha! Me too! :shh:
  • Pale Moon (stable and unstable releases)
  • Basilisk
  • SeaMonkey (the suite)
  • Waterfox
  • Opera
  • Brave
  • Yandex (installed, but never used)
  • Firefox ESR
  • Cyberfox
  • Midori
  • xombrero
Additionally, because some sites just won't work:
  • Chromium
  • Firefox 56 -- halted upgrade to Quantum, but haven't deleted it yet
I think I need intervention... :wtf: :shifty:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-01, 04:24

Peano wrote:When PM fails in some way or other that I can't figure out, I find that SlimJet works very nicely. It is open (I'm actually considering making SlimJet my default browser and putting PM on standby status.)

I tried Slimjet or one of it's companion browsers at that time, (Slimboat) a few years ago and the one major item I didn't like in it was the baked in social integration built into it by default. I'm not a fan of social integration being built into browsers and I didn't want a Facebook button. At that time, there was no way to remove the Facebook button. Not being able to get rid of the Facebook button gave me that "untrusting feeling" in my "gut". That untrusting gut feeling gave me a suspicion Facebook paid the makers of Slimjet/Slimboat a "little cash under the table" to bake Facebook integration into their browsers.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Peano

Unread post by Peano » 2017-12-01, 05:23

Night Wing wrote: I tried Slimjet or one of it's companion browsers at that time, (Slimboat) a few years ago and ...
A few years ago? Maybe you should update your information.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-01, 11:09

I've been flying "solo" for years. I have other browsers installed for testing/verification purposes only. Wouldn't be much good if I found that the browser I publish isn't actually doing what I want it to do, eh? ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-01, 13:03

Peano wrote:
Night Wing wrote:.[/
I tried Slimjet or one of it's companion browsers at that time, (Slimboat) a few years ago and ...
A few years ago? Maybe you should update your information.
Off-topic:
Maybe you should learn to tread a little lighter with your feet.

When you click on the Slimjet link you provided, it is very hard to locate the company that produces Slimjet on the Slimjet site. That wasn't like that some years back. I still have that information. Slimjet is produced by a company called "FlashPeak" which is located in Austin, Texas. And the old FlashPeak forum site for Slimboat is no longer active, but the website for Slimboat is still there if one digs for it.

https://www.slimjet.com/slimboat/en/#

Flashpeak may not like Google, but it likes Facebook. I don't have a Facebook account. Never have and never will. Facebook does not appeal to me. But Facebook will track you all over the internet even if you've "never" had a Facebook account. And I can prove it.

I use linux Mint as my preferred linux distro and which I'm in 99% of the time. In Mint 18.2, by default Mint comes loaded with a small utility program named, "Domain Blocker" (mintnanny). I put Facebook's web address in Domain Blocker and then started surfing the net with Pale Moon. On some sites I was on, scrolling down the page I came upon a window which stated, "Pale Moon cannot access the servers at Facebook". Since Facebook is in my Domain Blocker utility program, it can't put a tracking cookie on any of my computers. But the real question remains. Since I don't have a Facebook account, why is Facebook trying to track where I go on the internet? As far as I'm concerned, that is a predatory business practice that CEO Mark Zuckerberg condones.

Now I'm guessing your replay back to me is going to be, Google does the same thing. But I use Google. Google has lots of web addresses for tracking which "phone home" back to Google and those advertising addresses are in my Domain Blocker as well so Google doesn't get too much information from me.

In closing, with Facebook's web address in my Domain Blocker, it doesn't matter whether I'm using Pale Moon, SeaMonkey or Firefox ESR browsers in linux Mint. Facebook can't put a tracking cookie on any of my computers since "Facebook is kept at bay at the front of the Gate" and can't get access and I'm never going to let Facebook have any access to my computers. And Slimjet has that Facebook button.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-01, 13:38

I have 4 browsers installed on my linux lite system.
1.Palemoon.
2.chrome.
3.firefox.
4.qupzilla.

I was a boy scout so i prepare myself for any eventuality.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

KV-A1

Unread post by KV-A1 » 2017-12-01, 16:28

I like having a 2nd browser for things like streaming because I use a specific window size in my 2nd monitor, and every time I open that browser it defaults to that size and monitor position. So the 2nd browser is basically my streaming app.
Peano wrote:I got rid of Firefox long ago and switched to PM. But I wouldn't go solo. When PM fails in some way or other that I can't figure out, I find that SlimJet works very nicely. It is open source (chrome), clean, lightweight and very fast. Recommended. (I'm actually considering making SlimJet my default browser and putting PM on standby status.)

I've been using it for years now as my alternative/streaming browser. It has some nice built in features like a youtube video saver. Most 3rd party chrome extensions to do this get disabled by google policy in youtube.

I used to use live FF as my alternate to PM before and have tried vivaldi, but neither have given me as smooth of an experience with youtube/twitch as slimjet so I always ended up keeping it.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-12-02, 06:22

Browsers not allowed to be downloaded onto my box: Chrome and any of its clones, IE, Edge, Firefox and many of its clones. I have looked at Vivaldi and Opera and ruled them out as well.

I do not do tabbed browsing. So I need to be able to shut it off to the greatest extent possible. I do not allow automatic updates for anything but malware and AV definitions. I have never used anything but the default theme for any browser and i still have Win 7 using the classic look. Bells and whistles do not impress me, they are bloatware to me. I do not game, I do not usr social media. I do not use the cloud. I have 3 plug-ins and Flash is ask to activate. i have 6 extensions, 5 i have had for over 5 years and the 6th, ABL, replaced what I had but was not compatible w/ pale moon. I have never had more add-ons than this. My box has no microphone or camera. I do not own a smart phone.

There is basically no reason I should need a second browser. I have two different copies of P M and they are not identical. I never update them both at the same time and I never update either until i have watched the forum for reported issues with an announced update. There is always an alternative solution for me when any given site stops working with P M.

What worries me is how I will figure out Linux.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-02, 12:09

Im a bit of an open source fan so i decided to be rid of chrome and i cannot for the life of me understand why i installed it in the first place as its utter garbage.
I just have palemoon as my primary and favourite browser with FF and qupzilla in reserve.
I must be going crackers in my middle age. :silent:

Pale moon 29.4.1

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2017-12-02, 19:35

Been using Pale Moon as my only browser on half a dozen machines ever since I switched from FireFox, which I think was around 3 years ago. I don't really understand having more than one browser, unless you're a web or browser developer.

(Well, okay, two of the media center PCs still have Firefox used for NetFlix streaming only.)

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-12-02, 20:33

I just realized I have no less than six browsers installed on this partition: IE, Firefox, Pale Moon, Basilisk, Chromium, and Tor. I'm not much of a web developer, so I guess I'm just a little insane. :angel:
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-02, 21:11

Im 45 and still a child at heart.
I still like to play with my toys lol.

Pale moon 29.4.1

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2017-12-03, 01:47

The original post reminded me it's about time to free some space. I always kept FF29/31, first as a backup browser and because I put some effort in customizing. But it became more a testing tool for Personas/Themes and I had almost forgotten it since I installed PM as browser.
As I wrote in another post I installed FF53 a short time ago due to some geo-blocking problems with TV streams, but I don't like it much and hardly watch TV.

I still have Midori, Arora (and maybe Otter) installed, from the times I searched for a good FF replacement, but Arora stopped developing since years, Otter design is too much Opra for me, so my only backup browser (on Linuxes) is Midori, which I rarely needed to use since Pale Moon for Linux works fine.

*edit: Oh yes, and I recently installed Basilisk for testing...