Quantum train wreck

General discussion and chat (archived)
snertev

Re: Quantum train wreck

Unread post by snertev » 2017-12-02, 10:36

Night Wing wrote:Actually, FF hasn't been tanking. It has been on an uptick since it hit it's low of around 8% or slightly less. If I'm reading Net Market Share's browser percentage right on their new revamped website (and I don't like the look of the new revamped website), the browser that is tanking is Microsoft's Edge browser. Four months ago or there abouts (August of 2017) Edge hit it's high water market share of (5.66%). Now it looks like Edge has a 3.68% market share (November of 2017) and that means Edge has lost millions (or hundreds of millions) of users from four months ago.

I would like to see how Microsoft's CEO Nadella spins this debacle for Edge in a positive upbeat light.
I don't know how NetMarketShare's stats are collected, but in StatCounter's ones, they count a lot of Firefox 40.something visits that are made worldwide by a bot. I know it because that bot was hammering my own website too.

Nowadays, because of all these bots, there are not reliable usage stats other than server logs manually filtered.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-02, 12:30

snertev wrote:
Night Wing wrote:Actually, FF hasn't been tanking. It has been on an uptick since it hit it's low of around 8% or slightly less. If I'm reading Net Market Share's browser percentage right on their new revamped website (and I don't like the look of the new revamped website), the browser that is tanking is Microsoft's Edge browser. Four months ago or there abouts (August of 2017) Edge hit it's high water market share of (5.66%). Now it looks like Edge has a 3.68% market share (November of 2017) and that means Edge has lost millions (or hundreds of millions) of users from four months ago.
I don't know how NetMarketShare's stats are collected, but in StatCounter's ones, they count a lot of Firefox 40.something visits that are made worldwide by a bot.

Nowadays, because of all these bots, there are not reliable usage stats other than server logs manually filtered.
I think you'll find the difference in how Net Marke Share and StatCounter rate browser market share in the link below.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/net-market ... you-trust/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2017-12-02, 15:21

Night Wing wrote:I think you'll find the difference in how Net Marke Share and StatCounter rate browser market share in the link below.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/net-market ... you-trust/
Thanks for the link.

According to what is written there, NetMaretShare is better to exclude deviations caused by bot, since they count unique visitors by day. Though it's still difficult to determine what or who is a unique visitor.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-12-02, 16:16

Just for shiggles, and because I like playing around with new stuff, I upgraded Firefox on my Windows partition to the "latest and greatest." It opens up pretty fast, it appears to render faster than Pale Moon on a few pages I tried, and I could probably get used to some of the UI changes if I had to (goodbye curvy tabs, hello old menu bar). Whatever Mozilla did to Firefox, they appear to have met some of their goals for performance (or perceived performance). But at what cost?

I'll keep it around, probably put it on the dusty shelf next to Chromium. Pale Moon will remain my daily driver for the foreseeable future, because it lets me be the driver, and not just a passenger in someone else's car.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story