How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

General discussion and chat (archived)
Locked
Latitude
Banned user
Banned user
Posts: 597
Joined: 2016-03-21, 18:28

How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by Latitude » 2017-11-27, 04:37

Do you know how to reactivate the Restart shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+R) in PM Unstable?

GMforker
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 537
Joined: 2015-08-27, 06:29
Location: Czech Republic

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by GMforker » 2017-11-27, 05:32

Latitude wrote:Do you know how to reactivate the Restart shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+R) in PM Unstable?
See Issue #1490. I think that probably the only option here is - you can suggest a better solution.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 26650
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58ยฐ2'16"N 14ยฐ58'31"E
Contact:

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by Moonchild » 2017-11-27, 10:36

Latitude wrote:Do you know how to reactivate the Restart shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+R) in PM Unstable?
You can't, it's been removed because it wasn't a good idea to have it in the first place.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose
Image

User avatar
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 882
Joined: 2016-05-15, 05:00
Location: humid upstate NY

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by gracious1 » 2017-11-27, 11:21

GMforker wrote:
Latitude wrote:Do you know how to reactivate the Restart shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+R) in PM Unstable?
See Issue #1490. I think that probably the only option here is - you can suggest a better solution.
At the moment, I can offer some workarounds:
  1. This keyboard shortcut works in GNU/Linux: Alt+F, then R. (Release Alt before hitting R.)
    This works because this kind of menu navigation is built in. It should also work in Windows. I do not whether it works in Mac OS X as well.
  2. Install one of these extensions
    • Restart Manager
      • Restart Manager uses Ctrl+Alt+R by default. You may change Alt to Shift and also change the 'R' to any other letter A-Z.
      • RM directly targets Pale Moon (you get the Blue Dot of Happiness in the Add-ons Manager.)
      • Drawback: Restart is listed twice in Menu. This does not interfere with function, but is cosmetically distracting for some.
    • Restart by Schuzak
      • Also uses Ctrl+Alt+R by default, but you may reconfigure to any combination of Ctrl, Alt, and/or Shift plus any other letter, number, or symbol
      • AMO has version 3.0.2, but 4.1.1 is availabe at the developer's site; click on Files link.
      • Same drawback as RM: two restart entries in File menu.
    • Just Restart!
      • Uses Ctrl+Shift+Z shortcut. Cannot be reconfigured.
      • Needs to be installed with Moon Tester Tool
      • Duplicate entry in File menu
Since these solutions that restore Ctrl+Alt+R also add a duplicate Restart entry to File Menu, would it be possible to add a preference to PM to turn that off (remove PM's restart command from File Menu)?
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-11-27, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner
Posts: 2186
Joined: 2015-09-26, 04:51
Location: U.S.

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-27, 11:36

You could install the Keyconfig extension and set a shortcut of your choosing.

An additional restart button option, that I use, is a patched fork of Erik Vold's Restartless Restart, found here: https://github.com/vanowm/restartless-restart-ffext. It uses Ctrl+Alt+R, but can be changed.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2017-11-27, 12:00, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 26650
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58ยฐ2'16"N 14ยฐ58'31"E
Contact:

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by Moonchild » 2017-11-27, 11:59

I won't be adding an option to pref the restart menu entry on or off just because an extension assumes it's not there. The extension in question can be made Pale Moon specific and hide it itself, to be replaced with its own version ;)

(Are you people really restarting the browser so often that you need to have it hotkeyed to a single combination? :wtf: )
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose
Image

User avatar
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 882
Joined: 2016-05-15, 05:00
Location: humid upstate NY

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by gracious1 » 2017-11-27, 12:09

Moonchild wrote:I won't be adding an option to pref the restart menu entry on or off just because an extension assumes it's not there.
There could be other reasons for removing the Restart entry and also other entries besides.
But I see your point. The developers wrote their extensions that way because Firefox didn't have a Restart menu entry. So I guess especially in the case of Restart Manager, which targets Pale Moon, there could be code to hide the default menu entry since PM now has one. (Would this be difficult?)
(Are you people really restarting the browser so often that you need to have it hotkeyed to a single combination?
Speaking only for myself, I prefer to do as much as possible with keyboard shortcuts. Faster than lifting hands off keyboard and dealing with mouse, touchpad, or what-have-you.
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

User avatar
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 882
Joined: 2016-05-15, 05:00
Location: humid upstate NY

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by gracious1 » 2017-11-27, 12:13

Moonchild wrote:You can't, it's been removed because it wasn't a good idea to have it in the first place.
What kinds of problems did this cause, specifically? :?:
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

User avatar
JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator
Posts: 1952
Joined: 2015-09-03, 19:47
Location: UA
Contact:

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by JustOff » 2017-11-27, 12:22

gracious1 wrote:Since these solutions that restore Ctrl+Alt+R also add a duplicate Restart entry to File Menu, would it be possible to add a preference to PM to turn that off (remove PM's restart command from File Menu)?
Just add this to userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url("chrome://browser/content/browser.xul") {
  #menu_restart, #appmenu_restart {
   display: none !important;
  }
}
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

User avatar
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 882
Joined: 2016-05-15, 05:00
Location: humid upstate NY

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by gracious1 » 2017-11-27, 12:41

JustOff wrote:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url("chrome://browser/content/browser.xul") {
  #menu_restart, #appmenu_restart {
   display: none !important;
  }
}
That did the trick! (I used Stylish.) Thank you for your super-fast response!! :clap:

Could this code as written be incorporated into the extension? What I mean is, if I forward this to the developer of Restart Manager, would it be useful to him?
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

User avatar
JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator
Posts: 1952
Joined: 2015-09-03, 19:47
Location: UA
Contact:

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by JustOff » 2017-11-27, 12:54

gracious1 wrote:Could this code as written be incorporated into the extension? What I mean is, if I forward this to the developer of Restart Manager, would it be useful to him?
Of course, this can be done quite easily.
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 457
Joined: 2014-05-17, 15:51
Location: USA

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by riiis » 2017-11-27, 14:50

Use Restart Browser Version 1.2.0. No duplicate "Restart" appmenu or file menu. Shortcut key continues to work in Pale Moon unstable. And, you get a toolbar button.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 26650
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58ยฐ2'16"N 14ยฐ58'31"E
Contact:

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by Moonchild » 2017-11-27, 16:18

gracious1 wrote:I prefer to do as much as possible with keyboard shortcuts.
Alt-F, R achieves the same, using the normal menu access key.
gracious1 wrote:What kinds of problems did this cause, specifically? :?:
2 specific things:
  1. Ctrl+Alt+R isn't possible on a number of keyboard layouts, so on those it wouldn't even be possible to be used.
  2. More importantly, people with keyboard layouts using AltGr could unintentionally trigger the restart while typing (several people reported spontaneous restarts as a result) by hitting AltGr+R. When typing using accented/special characters with AltGr and hitting this combination, the restart dialog is easily confirmed with space while typing causing unintended restarts. That's really something that should be avoided at all costs because people would be losing data that way.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose
Image

User avatar
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 882
Joined: 2016-05-15, 05:00
Location: humid upstate NY

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by gracious1 » 2017-11-30, 10:27

JustOff wrote:Of course, this can be done quite easily.
I've been in contact with the developer. He said he's going to deal with the Restart duplication issue. (He had already planned to do that.) A new version will be released in a few days.

He expressed concern, however, that AMO would not let him publish it. I suggested Pale Moon Add-ons Site. Haven't heard a response yet.
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 26650
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58ยฐ2'16"N 14ยฐ58'31"E
Contact:

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by Moonchild » 2017-11-30, 13:50

If it's a "legacy" add-on, then AMO will likely resist further publication there.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose
Image

User avatar
JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator
Posts: 1952
Joined: 2015-09-03, 19:47
Location: UA
Contact:

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by JustOff » 2017-11-30, 14:26

Since Restart manager was not updated to WebExtensions yet, there will be no problem to publish new "legacy" version of it on AMO, such updates are still accepted at the moment. However hosting it on the Pale Moon Add-ons site is more reasonable, of course.
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

User avatar
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 882
Joined: 2016-05-15, 05:00
Location: humid upstate NY

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by gracious1 » 2017-12-01, 15:06

riiis wrote:Use Restart Browser Version 1.2.0. No duplicate "Restart" appmenu or file menu. Shortcut key continues to work in Pale Moon unstable. And, you get a toolbar button.
I am sorry I left your extension out of my list. If I make this a tutorial, I'll be sure to include it. :geek:
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

User avatar
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 882
Joined: 2016-05-15, 05:00
Location: humid upstate NY

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by gracious1 » 2017-12-01, 15:07

The latest release (1.10) of Restart Manager is available at AMO. Duplicate menu entry fixed!
JustOff wrote: โ€ฆhosting it on the Pale Moon Add-ons site is more reasonable, of course.
Here is what GMaL has told me on that subject:
As i saw, AMO will continue to host "legacy" extensions until the end of support of Firefox 52 ESR (June 2018). So, i'm thinking to not submit yet RM to PM site, because i have some plans to make it specifically for PM and maybe add some other features. This means i have to remove a lot of code, because i had designed RM to support all versions of Ffx and this way, RM will become more lightweight, robust and reliable. This also means a lot of work :-)
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

User avatar
JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator
Posts: 1952
Joined: 2015-09-03, 19:47
Location: UA
Contact:

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by JustOff » 2017-12-01, 15:26

My rule is: don't push the dev too much 8-)
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

User avatar
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 882
Joined: 2016-05-15, 05:00
Location: humid upstate NY

Re: How to reactivate the Restart shortcut in PM Unstable.

Post by gracious1 » 2017-12-02, 02:26

JustOff wrote:My rule is: don't push the dev too much 8-)
Yeah, I didn't. I was just sharing with you his response since I mentioned I was waiting for it.
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

Locked