How many refugees from the FF57 tsunami? (Download stats?)

General discussion and chat (archived)
firefoxed

How many refugees from the FF57 tsunami? (Download stats?)

Unread post by firefoxed » 2017-11-20, 14:40

FF57 kicked my butt and I landed on Pale Moon. Couldn't possibly have gone on without the Classic Theme Restorer.
Huge thanks to this warm welcoming community and the devs!

Reading the forum, others from asteroid FF57 have landed here too. But how many?
Could it be a percentage of FF users in the double digits?

If there are public download stats, would be morbidly curious to know what kind of uplift Pale Moon got in the last few days.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How many refugees from the FF57 tsunami? (Download stats?)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-20, 21:02

There are no public download stats because we don't tend to record downloads, as well as the fact that Pale Moon gets mirrored on many external sites we have no data from.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

firefoxed

Unread post by firefoxed » 2017-11-21, 03:01

Makes sense, thank you.

But I'm sure you're seeing a number of new arrivals. :)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-11-21, 03:13

Yup, many new folks on the site lately. Very good sign.
Except for the demanding ones.

Remember folks, lots of work is going into both browsers for your benefit.
Be gentle and play nice. As Mick Jagger once said,
You might not get what you want, but you just might get what you need. ;)

xunil76
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by xunil76 » 2017-11-22, 17:33

I am one such convertee. I kinda knew the end was nearing for my relationship with Firefox when they introduced the "Australis" interface (FFS, if I wanted Chrome, I'd effin' use Chrome!!!!), but after finding Classic Theme Restorer, continued using Firefox up to version 51/52, because it made it customizable to my liking again and it worked "well enough". But then I read some things that made it clear that Tab Mix Plus, Classic Theme Restorer, and several other of my coveted (and 100% necessary, IMO) addons were going to be permanently broken with FF's move to WebExtensions due to the lack of access that WE has over the application.

So I started looking for alternatives, and somehow, someway, stumbled across Pale Moon...and needless to say, I was ecstatic when I found out that I no longer even need the Classic Theme Restorer in PM to make it functional/customizable the way I had to with FF. It's taken a little while, but I think I'm about 99% set up in PM now and most of my tweaking is done, and so far, I'm liking it a lot. I even found out that some of the webpage performance problems I was having with some sites was not an issue with the sites themselves, but rather, most likely were as a result of the riDICulous amound of addon customization that was necessary with Firefox. Things that used to take 15 - 45 seconds to load in Firefox are loading almost instantly in PM.

I just hope that once FF57+ is more widely adopted, that it doesn't cause addon support for "classic" Firefox addons to fall by the wayside, unless I'm able to find suitable alternatives to those addons before that happens.

Still, though, very happy to once again have a quick, usable browser that is also customizable in almost every way, which is really what once made Firefox so much greater than the other "browsers" out there.

firefoxed

Unread post by firefoxed » 2017-11-23, 01:34

Great to read your story @xunil76.
It's nice to read what I went through mirrored in your words. It was a sinking feeling constantly having to find ways to keep FF working in an acceptable way, and it's wonderful to be in a place where others were in the same boat.

100% on PM as of yesterday... Loving it. :D